Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

FFB help! Changing to keeper league. Need ideas.

Old 10-23-02, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

FFB help! Changing to keeper league. Need ideas.

My main fantasy football league (in existence for 6 years) is considering switching to some sort of limited keeper league next season. What I'd like is ideas for what your league does or any ideas of how to run one effectively. What are your keeper rules?
'
We're at 12 teams, 16 players, snake draft, work with a salary cap.

So, how many players can you keep? How does it effect draft picks? Salary cap? Trades? Limits to how long you can 'keep'? Anything else?

Thanks!
Old 10-24-02, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Definately go with a salary cap or with contract years - otherwise after a few years, some owners might feel they have no chance to ever get better and just quit. If you are keeping enough players, you may want to eliminate the snake draft after the first year, and draft worse-to-first each round.
Old 10-24-02, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Daryl
Definately go with a salary cap or with contract years - otherwise after a few years, some owners might feel they have no chance to ever get better and just quit. If you are keeping enough players, you may want to eliminate the snake draft after the first year, and draft worse-to-first each round.
That's an interesting concept. . .for changing the draft. We just have to make sure we boot out the 1 or 2 teams that do not really participate.
Old 10-24-02, 10:14 AM

I don't think you should go with a worst-to-first draft. It encourages someone to give up on their team. On the keeper leagues on ESPN.com, for years after the first, I believe the draft order goes 5,6,7,8,4,3,1,2, or something like that, based on their finish from the previous year.
Old 10-24-02, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk God

You should not make the decision to go to a keeper league now. If you change, the keeper league should not start until 2004 (this is what we did with my league several years ago). Make next year a redraft with the knowledge that it will be going to keeper league. Going from a redraft to keeper in 2003 is fundamentally unfair.

My keeper league works like this:
1. You can keep 0-3 players each year.
2. Declaration of keepers is made 2 weeks prior to the draft (which occurs the day before the season starts). The draft order (snake style) is determined by random draw the day after keeper declaration.
3. If you elect to keep a player, you forfeit a draft pick that is 3 rounds higher than where the retained player was selected in the previous draft. For example, I selected Curtis Conway in the 9th round of this year's draft. I can elect to keep him next year and he counts as my 6th round draft pick.
4. If you elect to keep a FA that was acquired during the season, that player carries the value of a 10th round draft pick, so to keep him, you must forfeit your 7th round selection.
5. In conjunction with rule 3, no player taken in the 1st 3 rounds can be retained the following season.

Last edited by Red Dog; 10-24-02 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-24-02, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My football keeper league has kept it pretty simple. We kept 3 players each year. No salary cap, no restrictions. It's worked well. This is year 5, and we've had 4 different champions. It mainly allows for a guy to keep his favorite player(s).

With the nature of the game, there is always a high turnover in who is kept. Probably a very small handful of guys have been kept all four years (I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I'm having touble of thinking of even one guy who I know was kept all four years. Maybe Moss, was he in the league in 1998?).

The only problem is how to draft for the next year. Since rookie RBs can be high impact, those first few picks are crucial. We used to just run our league through ESPN so whatever draft spot we randomly got is the one we kept. It was like a draft lottery. Now we actually use ESPN's keeper format which is 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 4, 3, 2, 1 or someone like that as mentioned above. This I think is better because it prevents tanking and yet still has an element of randomness.
Old 10-24-02, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I run my cash league, 5th year...

So, how many players can you keep? 1 player per season, team cap is 4 players maximum.

How does it effect draft picks? You keep a player, you lose a draft pick. Teams electing to not keep a player(s) draft first in the "supplemental" round(s).

Salary cap? None.

Trades? Certainly... With league approval, we have strict anti-collusion laws, you cheat, you're out, no refund. 6 trades per season allowed, Thanksgiving day deadline.

Limits to how long you can 'keep'? None, life of your team, 1 week, doesn't matter.

Anything else? I'm sure your rulebook is already thick... However, no matter when you think you've covered every possible thing that could come up, something else will. Think it through the best that you can... Oh, and I agree with the above, you mean starting next year you can franchise your players, right? Not with players from this season? It's only fair, draft strategy and all...
Old 10-24-02, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WE have a keep 2 league but our catch is that you cannot keep anyone drafted after the 3rd round, thereby theoretically keeping the top 30 available next year...We also have it so that let's say I drafted Todd Heap in the 14th round (I did) and want to keep him (I do) next year I will lose the 13th round draft pick...and you can continue this until they hit the 3rd round where you no longer can keep him.