Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you ever bought "statTraker" on Yahoo Fantasy Sports?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-22-02, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Or is there a good free place to get this? I notice on Fantasy Football they no longer show live updates on the players. That sucks.
Old 10-22-02, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i know a person that swears by it.. however, he's not as knowledgeable about the NBA players he has.. nor the MLB players he had. so to him, it helps him see what's going on.

if you're knowledgeable about whatever sport you've got a team on, you're ok without it. but that;s just me. i usually update every night and every morning.. Yahoo! box scores have been sucky lately.
Old 10-22-02, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I bought it for baseball.

It's essentially worthless but it was nice to be able to watch my teams live and watch how they affected my aggregate totals for the week.
Old 10-22-02, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I find it kinda worthless for any sport other than Football. I've gotten it the last 2 years for football. A lot more fun if you're in a head-to-head league.
Old 10-22-02, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have it for football. I need it. I'm very, very impatient (and way too lazy to do scores myself). It's worth what I paid.
Old 10-22-02, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Have you ever bought "statTraker" on Yahoo Fantasy Sports?

Originally posted by kvrdave
Or is there a good free place to get this? I notice on Fantasy Football they no longer show live updates on the players. That sucks.
You haven't been using it in our league all this time? I think it was only free for Week 1.

I bought it since I have three different Yahoo! fantasy football leagues...great to track the scores realtime. Worth the $8, IMHO.
Old 10-22-02, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by devilshalo
i know a person that swears by it.. however, he's not as knowledgeable about the NBA players he has.. nor the MLB players he had. so to him, it helps him see what's going on.

if you're knowledgeable about whatever sport you've got a team on, you're ok without it. but that;s just me. i usually update every night and every morning.. Yahoo! box scores have been sucky lately.
What does knowledge about your sport have to do with StaTracker? It's only purpose is to give you real time stats, and in that respect, I think it is outstanding and worth the $$$.
Old 10-23-02, 08:57 AM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Have you ever bought "statTraker" on Yahoo Fantasy Sports?

Originally posted by kvrdave
Eh, why pay good money for stats I can get for free by going to the box score and reloading every few minutes?
Old 10-23-02, 01:24 PM

Re: Re: Have you ever bought "statTraker" on Yahoo Fantasy Sports?

Originally posted by Dead
Eh, why pay good money for stats I can get for free by going to the box score and reloading every few minutes?

Let's say we're talking about fantasy football. You're going to go to every box score and get stats for players on both teams (you and your opponent), add them all up, and then repeat every few minutes????? You can't be serious.

I think having that done for me accurately and in real time while I can relax and enjoy the games is worth $8.
Old 10-23-02, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My league always IM's each other while the games are going on and one of us has statracker and posts the scores whenever we ask. So it's worth it, especially if you can mooch off someone in your league.
Old 10-23-02, 11:40 PM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Re: Re: Have you ever bought "statTraker" on Yahoo Fantasy Sports?

Originally posted by DarkElf
You're going to go to every box score and get stats for players on both teams (you and your opponent), add them all up, and then repeat every few minutes????? You can't be serious.

I generally only do the opposition at the end of the first half and the end of the game. The games are spread over early Sunday afternoon, late Sunday afternoon, Sunday night and Monday night, so most of the time I'm only are following a handful of games concurrently. And, there is only a need to update when something of note changes. So, yes, I am serious. To me, it just makes no sense to pay for something that I can do so easily myself during the commercials.
Old 10-24-02, 03:12 AM

Well, if it cost $100, I might agree with you, but we're talking about the price of a burger BEFORE tax and tip.

I guess it just comes down to how "real time" you want your updates.

But now in baseball, I used StaTracker to make game-time decisions as to whether to start someone or not. I consider it nearly essential too for the way I manage my teams.
Old 10-24-02, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yup

basketball, baseball, football

well worth it, for those impatient folks like myself. if i were in a rotissierie league i wouldn't bother, but a must for head to head.
Old 10-24-02, 09:02 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by DarkElf
Well, if it cost $100, I might agree with you, but we're talking about the price of a burger BEFORE tax and tip.

I guess it just comes down to how "real time" you want your updates.

But now in baseball, I used StaTracker to make game-time decisions as to whether to start someone or not. I consider it nearly essential too for the way I manage my teams.

Hey, $8 here, $8 there... next thing you know you've paid for a Ferrari!

If you could actually change players mid-game, then I might be willing to pay for watching every stat, every second. I might even agree with you on baseball, since there are a whole lot more total games and there are games most every night. I don't play Fantasy Baseball though.