Reload this Page >

Lawyer presses NFL for more racial diversity among coaches

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-22-02, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

http://msn.espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/1022/1449424.html

NEW YORK -- A lawyer pressing the NFL to hire more black coaches is satisfied league officials will do their best to push the cause.

Cyrus Mehri met for 2 hours with league executives Tuesday and said the NFL agreed to put the issue on the agenda for the league meetings in New York next week. In addition, they told him commissioner Paul Tagliabue agreed to give each owner a copy of a report on minority hiring produced by Mehri's group.

"It was great. It was a very productive, substantive meeting,'' Mehri said. "I don't know what more we could ask for at this time.''

The NFL said it had nothing to add to Mehri's comments.

The report issued by the group last month recommended that teams which develop what it calls a "diverse front office'' be rewarded with extra draft picks similar to picks doled out as compensation for losing free agents.

It also suggests that teams that opt out of interviewing minorities for coaching vacancies lose a draft choice.

There currently are two black head coaches in the NFL, Tony Dungy of the Colts and Herman Edwards of the Jets.

Since Art Shell became the first black coach of the modern era when he was hired by the Raiders in 1989, there have never been more than three in any one season. There have been five overall: Dungy (Tampa Bay and Indianapolis), Edwards, Shell, Dennis Green (Minnesota) and Ray Rhodes (Philadelphia and Green Bay.)

It's one thing to push for more racial diversity but to flat out say that they want more black coaches is a little much. What do you think?
Old 10-22-02, 03:52 PM

I think if they implement the plan it's just as discriminating.

It also suggests that teams that opt out of interviewing minorities for coaching vacancies lose a draft choice.
Old 10-22-02, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm still pushing for more racial diversity among the players.
Old 10-22-02, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's a completely valid cause. No question this is a huge oversight in all major sports (especially college football), but the recommended means to correct this are wrong.
Old 10-22-02, 04:15 PM

Put me in coach..

I'm with kvrdave.

Put me in coach, it doesn't hurt as bad as it looks.

J
Old 10-22-02, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If I remember right, it was only until the last 10-15 years that you had more racial diversity among the players. I guess in another 10 years or so as the current generation ages, they will be eligible to become coaches.
Old 10-22-02, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by teplitsa
If I remember right, it was only until the last 10-15 years that you had more racial diversity among the players. I guess in another 10 years or so as the current generation ages, they will be eligible to become coaches.
That's a very observant point.
Old 10-22-02, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It takes a while to get through the coaching pipeline. The good minority coaches will move up and get their chance. The problem isn't now, the problem was 15 years ago or so.
Old 10-22-02, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think the whole draft pick suggestion they have is ridiculous.
But if a coach like Marvin Lewis can't get a head coaching job after the run he had with the Ravens there's definately something wrong. His window of opportunity may have been shut because his defense isn't producing the same results right now with the Redskins.
Old 10-22-02, 05:23 PM

We shouldn't hire minority coaches because they are minority. It should be because they are good coaches. Also, what about hispanic, asian, native american, and other ethnicities. Pro football is about winning and money, so if a minority coach will help turn a profit, they will be hired.
Old 10-22-02, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by kvrdave
I'm still pushing for more racial diversity among the players.

For the very little it's worth:

I checked my team, the Titans at ESPN.com and based only on the pictures they had in the roster page... 10 white offensive players, 8 black offensive players, 10 unknown. 12 black defensive players, 3 white, 10 unknown. 2 white kickers.

And when I say unknown, just based on lack of picture, for example I counted Albert Haynesworth unknown who I know is black but did not have a picture.
Old 10-22-02, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by zak52
I think the whole draft pick suggestion they have is ridiculous.
But if a coach like Marvin Lewis can't get a head coaching job after the run he had with the Ravens there's definately something wrong. His window of opportunity may have been shut because his defense isn't producing the same results right now with the Redskins.
Wasn't their some sort of stupid rule that prohibited Lewis from interviewing until after the superbowl? And by then the job was filled?

That aside, Lewis was robbed. Not that I'm complaining too (as a Skins fan). He'll pull that defense together.
Old 10-22-02, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by YellowLedbetter
For the very little it's worth:

I checked my team, the Titans at ESPN.com and based only on the pictures they had in the roster page... 10 white offensive players, 8 black offensive players, 10 unknown. 12 black defensive players, 3 white, 10 unknown. 2 white kickers.

And when I say unknown, just based on lack of picture, for example I counted Albert Haynesworth unknown who I know is black but did not have a picture.
Don't forget the NBA
Old 10-22-02, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Marvin Lewis had two things going against him

1) Like Alien Redrum said, there are rules preventing coaches from interviewing while their team is still in the playoffs. Most teams that fire their coaches hire before the end of the post season. Since Lewis was coaching teams in the playoffs while many teams were hiring, he couldn't be interviewed. He won't have that problem this year (sorry Skins fans).

2) Most reports I've seen have said that Lewis doesn't interview well.

Last edited by Jeremy517; 10-22-02 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-25-02, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gee, perhaps the lawyer should have pressed for more racially diverse rich people to buys the teams so they can put their own coaches in there. Oh wait, chances are they would put white coaches in those roles anyways.

I guess I don't see this as a major issue in sports today.