Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Who are the front runners for the NFL MVP?

Old 10-22-02, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Who are the front runners for the NFL MVP?

Who do you think are the frontrunners for this years NFL MVP award? I'm thinking Brett Favre and Priest Holmes. However, I think Favre is more of a team leader and that he's more valuable to his team. If the Pack end up with a solid record by year's end, and if Favre stays healthy, he'll take the award.

What do you think? Are there other worthy contenders?
Old 10-22-02, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Favre

if he stays healthy
Old 10-22-02, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk God

i guess ill wait and see if faulk puts up 7 or 8 more games, like the last 2
Old 10-22-02, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Brett Favre & McNabb
Old 10-22-02, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Priest
McNabb
Bledsoe
Favre
Old 10-22-02, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Red Dog
Priest
McNabb
Bledsoe
Favre
Ding! Ding!

Also, don't forget: Aaron Brooks and Rickey Williams
Old 10-22-02, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Yancey
Ding! Ding!

Also, don't forget: Aaron Brooks and Rickey Williams

I thought about them, especially Ricky, but Fiedler was playing extremely well and so was McCallister which lessens Brooks' impact.
Old 10-22-02, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Red Dog
Priest
McNabb
Bledsoe
Favre
I think that list is almost complete. I really think Ricky will garner a lot of votes, regardless of how Fiedler is playing (and many would say that Fiedler is playing so well *because* of Ricky).

Also, don't bet against Faulk. I hate to say it, but I think he has as good a chance as any of these guys to walk away with the hardware...
Old 10-22-02, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by LurkerDan
I think that list is almost complete. I really think Ricky will garner a lot of votes, regardless of how Fiedler is playing (and many would say that Fiedler is playing so well *because* of Ricky).

Also, don't bet against Faulk. I hate to say it, but I think he has as good a chance as any of these guys to walk away with the hardware...

Yeah - you can't forget about Faulk - they have a chance to get back into the playoff race. If they do, it will be because he carried the team on his shoulders.

I watched the Fins/Bills game on Sunday. It was quite clear that they sorely missed Jay Fiedler. Maybe it is just a matter of rustiness for Ray Lucas, but I am not so sure about that. He got a lot of PT in training camp and preseason due to Fiedler being hurt in the opening weeks of camp/preseason (so he got a lot of work with the first team back then). Of course, their receiving corps was also banged up. It is not to take anything away from Ricky - he is doing a great job for Miami but if Miami goes downhill during Fiedler's absense, it certainly hurts the case for Ricky.
Old 10-22-02, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by twikoff
i guess ill wait and see if faulk puts up 7 or 8 more games, like the last 2
it's scary isn't it? it has taken Martz long enough to realize that the more he gives the ball to Marshall the more likely the sheep's chances of winning become.

I would have to say that Faulk is a darkhorse (one of many, others listed in posts above), because Favre and Holmes have to be the frontrunners, but Brett needs to stay healthy, or Priest shall run away with it.
Old 10-22-02, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Touchdown Tommy Maddox, former XFL MVP!
Old 10-22-02, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
I'm ashamed to say that he occurred to me also!
Old 10-22-02, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If Priest Holmes keeps up his current pace, it would be a travesty for him not to win it. He's on pace to shatter Faulk's single season scrimmage yardage record and touchdown record.

Old 10-22-02, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Holmes is kicking butt, but whether or not he gets the MVP might depend on the criteria for voting. I mean, does the teams record come into play at all? Can a team below .500 (which the Chiefs might be by year's end) win the award? What about a player surrounded by other good players (the KC offense is pretty dang good, but not just the running back). Also, what about team leadership, on the field and off?

Anyway, just curious has to how the voting goes. If it's just a number crunch, then Holmes gets it. If you add in the intangibles, my nod goes to Favre (now anyway, who knows what will happen in the next 9 weeks).
Old 10-22-02, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gannon with his 5 consecutive 300+ yard passing games. he's got a 101 QB rating and he's completing 69.1% of his passes. Even the games that the Raiders have lost...Gannon has put up amazing numbers. He's also the team leader both on and off the field.

Last edited by TaTTooD; 10-22-02 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-22-02, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Unfortunately, a team's record has way too much to do with this award.

I think KC would need to go 10-6 (good luck) for Holmes to have a legit chance, though I feel he should win regardless of team record (if he keeps up the pace).

Other than that, it'll all depend on the playoff picture. Favre, McNabb, Gannon; all have a shot, imho.
Old 10-22-02, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Priest Holmes is on pace for 2,544 yards from scrimmage (1,751 rushing and 793 receiving) and 32 TDs (27 rushing, 5 receiving).

Marshall Faulk's record is 2,429 yards from scrimmage (1,381 rushing and 1,048 receiving). His TD record is 26 (18 rushing, 8 receiving).

If Priest Holmes beats both of those records, it would be a shame if he didn't win the MVP...no matter what KC's record is.

That is, unless Bledsoe throws for 5,000 yards (he's on pace for 5,024), 40 TDs (on pace for 34), and leads the Bills into the playoffs.

Even more amazing is Rich Gannon's pace. He's on pace for 5,461 yards (the record is 5,084 by Marino) and 37 TDs (Marino's record is 48). Also, the Raiders will most likely make the playoffs so he has that to his advantage.

Old 10-22-02, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bishop2knight
I think Holmes is kicking butt, but whether or not he gets the MVP might depend on the criteria for voting. I mean, does the teams record come into play at all? Can a team below .500 (which the Chiefs might be by year's end) win the award? What about a player surrounded by other good players (the KC offense is pretty dang good, but not just the running back). Also, what about team leadership, on the field and off?

Anyway, just curious has to how the voting goes. If it's just a number crunch, then Holmes gets it. If you add in the intangibles, my nod goes to Favre (now anyway, who knows what will happen in the next 9 weeks).
Considering Priest has nothing to do with the defense, and that KC's offense is among the best, if not the best in the league, and that is mostly because of Priest, then his team's record shouldn't matter. Just because a team's defense isn't very good is no reason to overlook what an offensive player does.
Old 10-23-02, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
XFL represent!
Old 10-23-02, 10:33 AM
Retired

Priest Holmes
Brett Favre
Donovan McNabb
Rich Gannon (he'd of been at the top of my list if the Raiders hadn't collapsed the past two games).
Old 10-23-02, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Brett Favre can run away with it if he stays healthy and the Packers end up 11-5 or better.

But there are some other good candidates:

Priest Holmes - but only if the Chiefs end up 9-7 or better.
Marshall Faulk - if he continues like he has the last 2 weeks, and the Rams end up 9-7 or better.
Ladanian Tomlinson - as long as the Chargers end up 10-6 or better.
Rich Gannon - ONLY IF the Raiders end up 11-5 or better, and his numbers are better than Favre's.
Ricky Williams
Tommy Maddox - if the Steelers end up 10-6 don't count him out (GO XFL! )
Donovan McNabb
Drew Bledsoe

Those are the top guys that I can think of off the top of my head....
Old 10-23-02, 03:59 PM

Same question as in baseball: Is the MVP the player who was most valuable on their team, as the name implies, or is it the best player in football?

As an example (and I'm not trying to start discussion about this in this thread), A-Rod was the best player in the AL last year. But is it really possible to be valuable on a last place team? Which then goes into asking the question of how can one player win a championship? So if you take the most "valuable" player from a good team, are they being rewarded for having talented teammates? And now my head hurts.
Old 10-23-02, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Priest Holmes so far hands down,with out him they win no games.