Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Smallball: BOTR Tournament Format?
Single Elimination
23.81%
Double Elimination
9.52%
first round single, double for the rest
28.57%
first 2 rounds single, double for the rest
19.05%
first 3 rounds single, double for the final 4
19.05%
your suggestions (please post them)
0%
Im not into smallball, but cant resist contact with twikoff's poll
0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Smallball: BOTR Tournament Format?

Old 10-22-02, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Smallball: BOTR Tournament Format?

ok.. how about a poll..

the first tournaments were all double elimination.. and that worked really well, except the tournament sometimes would go a day or two into the new season..
then we added more teams and a longer schedule, which means less time between seasons to play the tournament..
so we switched to single elimination for a couple seasons..
now Im interested in some feedback on what format people like better..

single elimination
double elimination
first round single, then double for the rest
first 2 rounds single, then double for the rest
first 3 rounds single, then double for the final 4
your suggestions?
Old 10-22-02, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Double for the whole tourney is wayyyyyyyyyyy to much. I think it should be single for at least the first two.
Old 10-22-02, 10:50 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I agree with single for the first 2 rounds.
And no matter what is decided, let me know if you need any help with the BOTR each season.

Since I ran the last one, I can help out when you need. Just would have to show an example of how the double elim works out to help further.
Old 10-22-02, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk God

idgie votes double for the whole tourney.. but she isnt here, so we can just keep that in mind

i dont like the idea completely double elimination.. just because we have alot of teams that arent good at starting their games.. the first couple rounds take forever..
in my opinion.. if we have a single elimination first round.. we pretty much are left with the 16 teams that are better at playing their games (for the most part).. and we would be safe switching to double elimination at that point.. or maybe going one more round before going to double?
Old 10-22-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Vryce

And no matter what is decided, let me know if you need any help with the BOTR each season.

Since I ran the last one, I can help out when you need. Just would have to show an example of how the double elim works out to help further.
thanks.. Ill keep that in mind..
I normally have a spreadsheet with brackets already entered.. up front, after I work out the format..
although it might be good to have help entering scores, since I cant be around at all times (shocking as that may seem).. but to do that, I would have to keep the sheets some place that both of us could access them, otherwise we would be working off two different copies, and that could get ugly
Old 10-22-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think we should develop a complicated ranking system combining polls, 'power ratings', record, and strength of schedule. Then we should rank all the teams using a "tCS" system (twikoff Championship Series), and the top eight teams that aren't already in a playoff series should play in a double-elimination tournament.
Old 10-22-02, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
I think we should develop a complicated ranking system combining polls, 'power ratings', record, and strength of schedule. Then we should rank all the teams using a "tCS" system (twikoff Championship Series), and the top eight teams that aren't already in a playoff series should play in a double-elimination tournament.
and what would count as a "quality win".. sure, you can beat a 9* team.. but it was only idgie ..
Old 10-22-02, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think you need to win at least 11 games in regular season play in order to qualify for the BOTR. At that point we will use an average of Manager's ratings, SmallBall Rankings and difficulty of schedule in order to set the seed number for each qualifying team. Then taking into account the different time zones and daylight savings, plan a time around when it would be appropriate to initiate a game. Pluse we still need to account for initiating vs. home field for some teams. Of the others it is sometimes difficult to get on-line on the weekends. Thus it only seems feasable that we use an algorithmic round-robin type single-double-triple elimination for those teams that meet all of the above criteria with-out being detrimental to any other team that is involved in the BOTR.

-OR-

At least the first 2 rounds single elimination.

Last edited by jon-w9; 10-22-02 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-22-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk God

you guys are joking about coming up with some huge formula or ranking and seedings teams and then handling the tourney format.. but the funny part is, thats the type of stuff that corrie loves to do.. so if I seriously wanted to try and work something like that out, Im sure she would handle it for me

but, I dont think we need anything that complicated
Old 10-22-02, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just want to say I didn't care for the amount of "byes" in the last tournament.
Old 10-22-02, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk God

i dont plan to have any byes if possible.. 32 team format is best.. but that will be dependent on how many teams dont want to participate, since we now have a few extra teams in the league..

vryce did what he had to, to make it work on such small notice, after realizing their would be a couple other teams participating..
Ill have more time this season to work out a better formula.. after we get all the votes in, on tournament format.

and if its a combination of single/double elimination.. there definitly wouldnt be any byes after you get into the double elimination portion.
Old 11-01-02, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk God

bump.. since I guess I need to go ahead and put the format together tonight
Old 11-01-02, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk God

3 votes for single
2 for double
8 for a mixture, with 4 of those wanting single first round and 3 wanting single first and second round
Old 11-01-02, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I already voted but forgot what for

I hate that single crap.
Old 11-01-02, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Single first double the rest of the way
Old 11-01-02, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Single until the final 4 or 8... we want it to go fast (heck, even single all the way took a long time sometimes) but we want a good conclusion too!
Old 11-01-02, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk God

well.. its definitly going to be a mixture this season
Ill wait to see how many rounds of single we are going to have, until all the votes are in