Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

I am an angry Redskins fan!

Old 10-25-02, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This thread makes the Cowboy homer in me proud. I've been saying for awhile that the Redskins formula wouldn't work, even with Steve as coach.

Imagine how angrier you will be when you see 2 losses at the hands of the "still pretty much in it" Cowboys.
Old 10-25-02, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't make rush decisions and have patience
Four head coaches in three years and I am making rush decisions?

Home record is 9-10 in the last three years and I am making rush decisions?

We had Brad Johnson as a quarterback, we had Rich Gannon as a quarterback. We had 5 place kickers last year alone.

My decisions are far from rushed and my patience is wearing thin.
Old 10-25-02, 08:45 AM

Spurrier rehired Trey Johnson to beef up the line.
Old 10-25-02, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
This thread makes the Cowboy homer in me proud. I've been saying for awhile that the Redskins formula wouldn't work, even with Steve as coach.

Oh I think the Spurrier system can work. However, I don't care what kind of system you have - it won't work if you have a lousy OL.
Old 10-25-02, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Red Dog
Oh I think the Spurrier system can work. However, I don't care what kind of system you have - it won't work if you have a lousy OL.
Although I agree with this in principle, I have problems with the coach and not the system.

Neither the system or the offensive line has anything to do with the massive number of penalties, fumbles, dropped passes or 4th and inches calls. We are averaging 8 penalties per game for an average of 68 yards.

That is a sign of a poorly coached team. Period.
Old 10-25-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
Although I agree with this in principle, I have problems with the coach and not the system.

Neither the system or the offensive line has anything to do with the massive number of penalties, fumbles, dropped passes or 4th and inches calls. We are averaging 8 penalties per game for an average of 68 yards.

That is a sign of a poorly coached team. Period.

I don't blame coaching for fumbles and dropped passes. I blame penalties mostly on the players. 4th and inches calls? That is a coaching decision, of course.
Old 10-25-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When Matthews was benched, he was criticized by Spurrier for dumping the ball short too often and not looking downfield. Ramsey followed the coach's philosophy better, but he was sacked 13 times in two starts and threw four interceptions.
http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=191&sid=5028

Sounds like Shane knew how to deal with the OL such as it is.

Even though he's been gone less than two years, Johnson returned to find Redskins Park full of strange faces. Only 12 players on the 53-man roster _ zero coaches _ remain from the 2000 season.
http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=191&sid=13736

Nothing like total chaos to build a solid team.

It didn't matter because the Redskins _ from quarterback to receiver to offensive line _ have yet to show they have the talent to score regularly no matter what the scheme. To that end, Spurrier is making another change, re-promoting Rod Gardner back to the starting lineup at receiver
http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=191&sid=11815

"The plan every week is mixing the pass and the rush," head coach Steve Spurrier said this week. "If we are ever fortunate to get ahead at halftime, we'd be like all teams trying to run the ball some, make first downs and win the game. We haven't been in that position a lot."
http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=11320

Few are fortunate. Hard work and good decisions are the keys to success.

How soon in the first quarter on Sunday night does this game plan get thrown away?
Old 10-26-02, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You're telling me about a lousy OL? Look at the starting line-up that the Cowboys have for Sunday:

LT - Flozell Adams
LG - Jeremy McKinney (Who?)
C - Andre Gurode* (Rookie)
RG - Solomon Page
RT - Javiar Collins (Who?)

And now with a QB who hasn't played football in 5 years....

But at least we are still in the hunt.
Old 10-28-02, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A win is a win but sadly Steve still does not get it!

But a questionable decision by Spurrier helped the Colts get back into the contest. On 4th-and-inches from the Indianapolis 5, Spurrier elected to go for the first down and Matthews rolled to his right before throwing an incompletion just shy of the end zone with 7:50 left in the third quarter.

"We dominated early. Except for my bad call on 4th-and-1. We should've run it, but it didn't work."
Old 10-28-02, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
A win is a win but sadly Steve still does not get it!
He took responsibility for it. Let it go. I think you're going a bit far here.

Man, if you're so annoyed, let me have your season tickets.
Old 10-28-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk God

I did not mind going for it on that 4th and 1. Theisman and McGwire were right - the defense was dominating up to that point so why not. I simply question the decision to pass on that play. A running play would have made much more sense.

That 1st half was certainly a pleasant surprise. Best half of football overall by the Skins so far this season. That TD from Matthews to Doering was a total prayer though.

I hope that Stephen Davis is okay.
Old 10-28-02, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Nobody ever questions going for it on Fourth and X if they make it.

Sure it was ballsy, but the Skins have made 50% of their 4th down conversions so far this year. It was a good gamble IMNSHO.
Old 10-28-02, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sure it was ballsy, but the Skins have made 50% of their 4th down conversions so far this year. It was a good gamble IMNSHO.
I strongly disagree. Taking the field goal takes away the possibility of a tie with a two point conversion. Agreed that seven points does this even better. If you want the touchdown, run, pick up the short yardage and sustain the drive.

A better question to ask about 4th down conversion percentage would be why are the Redskins going for them so often?
Old 10-28-02, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

because Spurrier would rather have touchdowns than field goal attempts.
Old 10-28-02, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Originally posted by broadwayblue
because Spurrier would rather have touchdowns than field goal attempts.
Ed Zachery.
Old 11-01-02, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They go for it on fourth mainly because that is what Steve has always done. I have been a Gator fan for about 10 years now andup until he left Florida, I cannot think of more than 5 times Steve punted on a fourth down (under 8 yards to go).. but I could be wrong and I am sure I am.

I am a Tampa Bay fan... believe it or not, if anyone has anything to complain about is my teams offense... but I see them winning so I don't complain.

As far as Washington is concerned, 9-7 is very possible if Shane gets in a groove and Steve coaches like an NFL coach, not a college coach. I think he is great and I am almost sad to admit this, but I am a semi Redskin fan because of him!I hope he does well and regardless of anyone's complaints, Steve is there for 5 years atleast! Just an opinion.
Old 11-04-02, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk God

If you thought Spurrier made some questionable calls, you have to think that Mike Holmgren is insane.

Why not kick the FG before half? Get a little momentum and you are only down one score.

Then with 3 or so minutes left, you are down 11 & have 4th and 5 on the Skins 15. You have all of your timeouts so why not kick the FG (which is basically a sure thing) to cut it to 8. That way you can kickoff with a decent amount of time left to try and stop the Skins and get the ball back.

Nice job by the Skins D and the running game. Spurrier may be starting to learn about the NFL game, although I still question some of his play calling (like calling a low percentage fade pattern on 3rd and 3 when you have been running the ball effectively all day).
Old 11-04-02, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you thought Spurrier made some questionable calls, you have to think that Mike Holmgren is insane
100% agreed!

The post game news conference with Spuurier makes it plain that he does not like to run the ball even if it works. He looks pained talking about the run game. He looked disappointed, as if they had lost.

I just don't get it.

The defense played well but against Seattle I would have expected them to. The offense was a disappointment. Only 14 points against that defense is not a good sign.

Spurrier often mentions the 38-7 victory over San Francisco in Japan, even though the Redskins scored most of their points against backups and even though his current quarterback, Shane Matthews, didn't play.

Yet that's the kind of scoring he expected all season. Instead, the Redskins passing game is ranked 24th in the league, while the steadily improving defense is at No. 10.

Even the 146 yards rushing against the Seahawks didn't excite Spurrier.

"It's hard to run up and down the field all the time," he said.
http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?sid=11815&nid=191

Sigh, four more years of this guy!

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 11-05-02 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-11-02, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Jaguars did it by playing defense and field position _ a style Spurrier always abhorred in college. It appeared, during his brief winning streak, that he was gradually starting to accept it as a fact of life with the roster he inherited. But in the first half, he called 22 pass plays to only nine runs. Hardly anything worked after the first drive. By halftime, the Jaguars led 10-7.
http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?sid=19239&nid=191

I don't think the giants will have any problems preparing a defense. After they stop the first few runs, biltz from the nickel and the Redskins are done.
Old 11-20-02, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

At this point, does it matter who starts at quarterback for the Skins?
No, because the problem isn't Shane Matthews or Danny Wuerffel or Patrick Ramsey as much as it is Steve Spurrier. Ten games into his first NFL season, Washington's head coach is beyond grasping at the quarterback position, his supposed forte. Any day now, I expect Mark Rypien to walk through the door at Redskins Park and be declared this week's starter.
I guess there is always next year

Then again maybe not, four more years to go with this guy.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ing_questions/

To save a regular season gone terribly wrong, Steve Spurrier is considering a preseason strategy: Use two quarterbacks, each playing a half.

http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=191&sid=11815
Old 11-20-02, 11:05 AM
Banned

I will cheer for the Skins this week.
Old 11-20-02, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FWIW ... was listening to ESPN Radio the other day, and Dennis Green made an interesting point ... that the losses have nothing to do with Spurrier as a coach, but rather that the players are not performing and then using hiding behind the coach as an excuse (which comes from the media making Spurrier out to be the second coming).

It does make sense, especially on D. They have a talented D, and with a defensive coach like they have, they should be dominating.
Old 11-21-02, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by WildcatLH
FWIW ... was listening to ESPN Radio the other day, and Dennis Green made an interesting point ... that the losses have nothing to do with Spurrier as a coach, but rather that the players are not performing and then using hiding behind the coach as an excuse (which comes from the media making Spurrier out to be the second coming).

It does make sense, especially on D. They have a talented D, and with a defensive coach like they have, they should be dominating.
Possibly but that does not excuse the abysmal play calling by Spurrier.

It is the fourth starting quarterback change made by Spurrier this season. Wuerffel, making his second start, lasted just one series before injuring his shoulder Oct. 6 at Tennessee.
He is "benching" his quarterbacks because they are not performing? Seems to me Matthews and Wuerffel were picked by him.

The defense has played well but they are not responsible for lack of scoring, lack of ball control, lack of game control.

Season comparison Redskins vs. opponents

Avg. Time of Possession 28:24 31:34
Total Yardage 2938 3107
Yards/Game 293.8 310.7
Yards/Scoring Play 17.7 18.4
Fumbles/Lost 18/10 12/6
Interceptions Thrown 13 10
Sacked 28 22

Team Statistics
Washington NY Giants
First Downs 12 21
Rushing 3 4
Passing 6 13
Penalty 3 4
3rd-down Efficiency 3-16 6-17
4th-down Efficiency 1-2 1-1
Total Net Yards 166 299
Total plays 58 84
Average gain 2.9 3.6
Net Yards Rushing 60 88
Rushes 21 38
Average per rush 2.9 2.3
Net Yards Passing 106 211
Completed-attempted 15-35 22-46
Yards per pass 3 4.6
Sacked-yards lost 2-7 0-0
Had intercepted 1 2
Punts-average 7-38.3 5-32.4
Return Yardage 53 48
Punts-returns 3-7 4-48
Kickoffs-returns 6-117 4-92
Interceptions-returns 2-46 1-0
Penalties-yards 7-39 8-75
Fumbles-lost 2-1 1-1
Time Of Possession 23:18 36:42

Look at that time of possession and tell me the defense is to blame for losing this game with the offense only managing 17 points.
Old 11-21-02, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I too am a Redskins fan. And I'm disappointed with their season thus far. That being said, I also think this was likely. As a fan I am always optomistic and at least somewhat biased towards my team (aren't we all?). I hoped the defense would be excellent and the offense could get by on some good play calling. Neither has really happened.

Still, up until the last two weeks, the Skins only lost to good teams. The Saints, Packers, Eagles, and 49ers all should be quality playoff teams. Not until they lost to the Giant and Jags can I say they lost to teams they should beat. Well the Giants are on the same level as the SKins, so maybe they shouldn't beat them but they could have easily done so.

Still their QB play has been crappy, their interior line has been crappy, and their defense I think can do better. Spurrier did bring in a few Gators (4 are on the team), but all were dirt cheap and most teams have a few guys from Florida anyways. I don't blame Spurrier for bringing in Matthews or Wuerffel, since the Skins has no QB (Tony Banks anyone?) before and to get Bledsoe they would effectively give up Ramsey. I'd rather wait and see Ramsey develop than get a 30 year old QB coming off of injuries and immobile (although Bledsoe has done very well). Getting some skill at the WR positions would help as well.

But not matter the coach, this team had some serious problems and likely would not go anywhere. I still believe, long-term Spurrier will do fine (and hopefuly be entertaining as well).