Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

I understand he's breaking the rules, but why is there even an rule?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-19-02, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasqu...n/1447753.html

No matter their personal convictions, Denver Broncos players can stop passing the hat in an effort to collect enough money to cover the salary that safety Kenoy Kennedy will forfeit as a result of his one-game suspension.

Unless the players want to draw NFL sanctions themselves, the Kenoy Kennedy Telethon had better cease, a league official said Friday afternoon.

In the wake of claims by several Broncos players that they intend to ante up to reimburse Kennedy the $25,294 he will lose by sitting out Sunday's game, NFL vice president Greg Aiello told ESPN.com that such an action would be a violation of league rules.

"It would subject those players to subsequent fines. Maybe we'd just have to fine the entire team," said Aiello, laughing. "But, no, they can't do it."

Strictly speaking, Kennedy isn't being fined, but will lose one game check because he is suspended without pay for the matchup with the Kansas City Chiefs. Fine or suspension, the same rules apply, and those rules preclude a team or its members from paying a fine for another player.

Reimbursing a player the amount he was fined, or the amount he lost to suspension, also is not permitted.

Kennedy was suspended this week after a helmet-to-helmet collision with Miami Dolphins wide receiver Chris Chambers last Sunday night. Kennedy drew a 15-yard penalty on the play, which left Chambers with a concussion, and probably sidelined for this weekend.

The incident was the third this year for Kennedy, fined $7,500 for an illegal hit on St. Louis wide receiver Isaac Bruce in the season opener, and $10,000 for a blow to Diego fullback Fred McCrary on Oct. 6. Kennedy was warned by league officials after the second incident that he would be subject to a suspension if there was another violation.

On Wednesday, despite much lobbying by Broncos coach Mike Shanahan, the league suspended Kennedy for one game. With the loss of a paycheck for this weekend's game, the third-year veteran has now forfeited $42,794, or nearly 10 percent of his $430,000 base salary for 2003.

Teammates on Thursday rallied to Kennedy's defense and, according to a few players, planned to come to his financial aid as well.

"We're all going to chip in and help," said cornerback Denard Walker.

Not unless they plan on signing over a check to the NFL, though.

"Maybe they should have checked the rules first," Aiello said.

=========================

Okay, I understand that there is a rule in place. What I don't understand is why the rule even exists? It's the players' money, let them do whatever they want with it! How can the NFL tell the players what to do with their own money?

I don't totally not understand....I mean, I guess the rule is in place to punish the player. I guess the NFL might see this as Kennedy's teammates "rewarding" him for the hit...but sheesh. I think the rule is just plain dumb.

Besides, the players could secretly "pass the hat around" and collect money for Kennedy behind the NFL's collective back anyway.

Old 10-19-02, 10:17 AM

He might end up with more money if he doesn't pay taxes on it.
Old 10-19-02, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe the thinking is if he doesn't pay the fine, how is he going to learn anything? Of course, he might not learn anything anyway, but that is the reasoning.
Old 10-19-02, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Of course I'm sure they are allowed to give him a present unrelated to the suspension, if they choose. If they want to send the league a message, the league is in the right. If they want to reimburse his financial loss, they'll easily find a way around it.
Old 10-19-02, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Whether or not the Bronco players can get around the rule is, I don't think, very important.

Do the Broncos really believe he doesn't deserve the suspension? How would they like to see their receivers get hit like that?
Old 10-19-02, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

how will he ever live on $385,000 ? poor guy
Old 10-19-02, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why doesnt the NFL put flags on all the players hips and get it over with?
Old 10-19-02, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the suspension is a joke. sure huge hit, but clearly not intentional spearing. he was running full on an lowered his shoulder and the receiver and his timing was simply unfortunate.

but, i think he'll get by on last weeks paycheck just fine
Old 10-19-02, 11:39 PM

If they don't pass the hat, how is he ever going to move away from home so he can stop sleeping on a bunkbed with his brother?
Old 10-19-02, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
If they don't pass the hat, how is he ever going to move away from home so he can stop sleeping on a bunkbed with his brother?
I know you're referring to LX98Civic, but that was a lame joke.

Old 10-19-02, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally posted by db27
the suspension is a joke. sure huge hit, but clearly not intentional spearing. he was running full on an lowered his shoulder and the receiver and his timing was simply unfortunate.
Yeah, he's had "unfortunate timing" three times in six games this year.
Old 10-20-02, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by db27
A complete joke. I've seen many hits just as severe warrant nothing more than high fives from teammates. Nevertheless, I'm sure Kennedy's teammates will find some way to get him a few dollars...
Old 10-20-02, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't hit people in the head, period. Mistake or not, it deserves to be penalized so that next time he might make a little more effort to avoid such a 'mistake'.
Old 10-20-02, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"In accordance with NFL rules, the Denver Broncos have agreeded to stop collecting money for Kenoy Kennedy. In other news, Kennedy has received a wonderful (early) birthday gift from the Denver Broncos...a bag of money valued at about $42,000. No conclusive connection between the two events can be made."
Old 10-20-02, 08:24 PM

In Major League Soccer a few years ago, there was a GM that "supposedly" said that, since his team was playing so soft, he would reimburse any player who was redcarded (and got the mandatory fine from the league).

Basically, the NFL does not want to encourage teams to effectively undercut the league sanctions.

RS
Old 10-20-02, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't recall what Kennedy's first two hits were like, but I thought the 3rd one was clearly not suspension or fine worthy. They replayed it on Sunday NFL Countdown in slow-motion and it looked like Denard Walker pushed Chambers' head down which caused Kennedy to hit him in the head.

Brock Marion, Zach Thomas, and other Dolphin players said themselves that they thought it was a clean hit.

Old 10-25-02, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cash is the least of the things the Broncos are passing around nowadays.