Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Which clubs should I get?
Top-Flite XL 2000
25.00%
Precept EV
0%
Wilson Fatshaft II
0%
Adams Performance
50.00%
Wilson Fatshaft III
25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Which golf clubs would you get?

Old 10-19-02, 02:45 AM
Mod Emeritus

Which golf clubs would you get?

Yeah I know, none of them are very sexy or expensive, but $350 is about my limit and I want a decent name club that I can hit well.

Precept EV Extra Velocity.
http://www.tgw.com/customer/category...TEGORY_ID=2660

I hit these really nicely tonight at Golf Galaxy. Good distance, nice feel. I'm a little worrried the vibration dampener insert might fall off some of them at some point. They run about $270 (tax is included).

Adams Tight Lies GT Performance Irons.
http://www.tgw.com/customer/category...TEGORY_ID=1939

I didn't hit these all that great tonight at GG. I didn't think I was swinging that well with them for some reason. I've hit them nice before but tonight I wasn't. I think these would be nice for tight lies, since that's basically what the company is known for (hence their name). Maybe not as forgiving, but good out of the rough. Hard to tell hitting off a plastic mat. Can get them for about $300 tax included.

Top-Flite XL 2000 Irons.
http://www.tgw.com/customer/category...TEGORY_ID=1863

These were the forerunners before I hit the Precept's tonight. I've hit them really well. They don't feel as nice as the Precepts since they don't have that dampener, but I hit them just as well. I can get them for about $200 on Ebay shipping included.

http://www.edwinwatts.com/AB1936000/...roduct_ID=3294
Wilson Fat Shaft II.

I haven't hit these in a golf simulator so I can't tell distance or where they are going, but I hit them into a net and they did hit nice. I have no reason to think they'd hit worse than the others. Can get for about $300.

Wilson Fat Shaft III (can't find a decent small image of the real ones, imagine it without the lines inside the cavity or just click here: http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/eBay/pics/HYBRIDVW1.JPG )

Haven't hit these either. They look just like the Fat Shaft Deep Red without the dampener. I have hit the Deep Red and liked them so these seem to be similar. The 3 and 4 irons are hybred wood/irons. The golf galaxy told me they'll have them in soon so I'm kinda holding off until I hit these before I ultimately decide.

Which would you go with? Does anyone have any of them and can give me some feedback? Anyone know of good irons I can get for $350 and less that I'm not listing? I'm not interested in component clubs, although I know they are quality. Custom fitting isn't that important since every regular club I've tried so far as been fine.

Honestly the XL-2000 is still the frontrunner based on price alone. The Precept EV hit really well and maybe a little more accurately. I'd like to get the Fat Shaft III in the simulator for a spin. I was considering the Armour EVO but it's just not as forgiving as I want.

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 10-19-02 at 02:52 AM.
Old 10-19-02, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not that familiar with any of the clubs you listed, but based on price alone, I gather that they're not the best of quality.

Are you just now getting into golf or have you been golfing for awhile? I suggest you get a good pair of used clubs instead of a cheap set of brand new ones.

At the price range you're looking at, you should be able to get a decent pair of used clubs.

Old 10-19-02, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i won a set of the Wilson Fat Shafts 2 years ago from their online contest. the pros (other than the fact that they were free) is that they hit very straight, even on mis-hits. the cons are that from what i've read they may give up a few yards compared to some other irons. if you are a beginner to intermediate golfer i would recommend them as they are really quite forgiving. if you need every last yard than you might want to look somewhere else...or use a better golf ball.
Old 10-19-02, 03:53 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
I'm not that familiar with any of the clubs you listed, but based on price alone, I gather that they're not the best of quality.

Are you just now getting into golf or have you been golfing for awhile? I suggest you get a good pair of used clubs instead of a cheap set of brand new ones.

At the price range you're looking at, you should be able to get a decent pair of used clubs.

Actually most of the clubs listed started off at $500 or more MSRP and are simply being close out because they are last year's models. A used set with used groove isn't what I'm looking for.
Old 10-19-02, 03:54 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by broadwayblue
i won a set of the Wilson Fat Shafts 2 years ago from their online contest. the pros (other than the fact that they were free) is that they hit very straight, even on mis-hits. the cons are that from what i've read they may give up a few yards compared to some other irons. if you are a beginner to intermediate golfer i would recommend them as they are really quite forgiving. if you need every last yard than you might want to look somewhere else...or use a better golf ball.
Thanks!
Old 10-19-02, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yo, Zeus.. do you play golf? if you do, lets play a-round before you take off.

personally, i would go for the tight lies or the topflight, probably whichever had smaller heads.. when it comes to clubs I'm a traditionalist..

my clubs:
Old 10-19-02, 04:12 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by grrrah

personally, i would go for the tight lies or the topflight, probably whichever had smaller heads.. when it comes to clubs I'm a traditionalist..

my clubs:
Nice blades! Are you going to upgrade to the MP-33?

I wish I was good enough to hit blades. They are fun when you hit them right.
Old 10-19-02, 04:18 PM
Mod Emeritus

On Zeus' advice, I've been checking out Ebay for used Titleist and Ping (not interested in Callaway). I realized though, I used to like Titleist when they made the DCI. Nice club, decent price. Then when Tiger came along they started making 40 different variations of the same club, and the price went through the roof. None of the new models really interests me either, they are either practically cavity-less or they have some ugly plastic insert. Although if I was good enough, I'd play the Titleist Blades (looks like Grrah posted) in a heart-beat.

Then Ping. OK the only Pings I've ever wanted are the ones that are Be-Cu or maybe Nickel. Buying those is like investing in a bond, they never lose their prices. Which means you can't really get them for less than $600, even if it's the Ping Eye 2 made 9 years ago.

The ones I have selected I really like. I don't care if someone doesn't recognize them. They hit nice. My woods and putter, and wedges are very nice (and recognizable). Right now I'm just looking to upgrade my crappy irons.
Old 10-19-02, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Nice blades! Are you going to upgrade to the MP-33?

I wish I was good enough to hit blades. They are fun when you hit them right.
No way.. I spent too much on the 29's... I havent been paying attention to the newer clubs, but I thought the 33s were a cross between the 29s and the 14s which were both discontinued.. if that is the case then it would be a downgrade to the 33s..

whatever you do.. make sure you take some out to the range and get a feel for them.. I have had complete 180* change in preference after demoing clubs.
Old 10-19-02, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can get you the Tight Lies for $263 shipped to you (I can also get you the Top Flight for the same price) from work. Basically I get 15% off anything on the website (some items excluded) and shipping is cheap (usually about 8 bucks for a set of irons). We sell more brands in the store like Nike, Callaway, Cleveland etc.. but I only gt 10% for some reason if I buy them in the store.

If you need a golf bag, we are selling the Cleveland TA-5 irons (stiff or regular shaft) and you get a free Cleveland stand bag (valued at 129.99, its a really nice stand bag) for 449.99 (I paid 443 after discount when I bought mine about 2 months ago)

Last edited by mljones99; 10-19-02 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-19-02, 08:08 PM
Mod Emeritus

The best I can do for hitting is hit in a simulator. It's pretty nice actually, since it shows your exact distance, trajectory, and landing spot.

I thought you'd prefer the traditional MP14 to the MP29? The 14 has the small head.

Hey I could get a set like old Classicman has
http://www.edwinwatts.com/AB1936000/...roduct_ID=3221
Old 10-19-02, 08:09 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by mljones99
I can get you the Tight Lies for $263 shipped to you (I can also get you the Top Flight for the same price) from work.
$200 shipped on the Top Flight? Cool. Should I email you from your DVDTalk email address?
Old 10-19-02, 08:13 PM

$200 shipped on the Top Flight? Cool. Should I email you from your DVDTalk email address?
No, same price as the Tight Lies. I'm not sure what are instore prices are. We may have them cheaper. Our website has the Tommy Armour Oversized 845s at 399.99 and I swear I saw them at 299.99 the other night when I worked.

I edited my post above with more info.
Old 10-19-02, 08:16 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by mljones99
No, same price as the Tight Lies. I'm not sure what are instore prices are. We may have them cheaper. Our website has the Tommy Armour Oversized 845s at 399.99 and I swear I saw them at 299.99 the other night when I worked.

I edited my post above with more info.
Oh ok cool!
Old 10-19-02, 08:18 PM

Oh ok cool!
You can email at the email listed with DVDTalk if you want me to check on anything for you. Here is the website if you want to look around.

www.dickssportinggoods.com (15% off anything exlcuding some items)
Old 10-19-02, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The best I can do for hitting is hit in a simulator. It's pretty nice actually, since it shows your exact distance, trajectory, and landing spot.

I thought you'd prefer the traditional MP14 to the MP29? The 14 has the small head.

Hey I could get a set like old Classicman has
http://www.edwinwatts.com/AB1936000/...roduct_ID=3221
well, the MP29 is a better quality head with no offset compared to the slight offset w/ the mp14s (more traditional ), and I hit the ball very high, so I also liked the lower loft angles. Plus, this isn't a good reason to choose a club, but more pro's use the MP29s. I did have to get used to the bigger heads because I previously used Hogan Apex from the early 90's which are much smaller than the Apex from the last 5 or 6 years. In 15+ years of golf I have only used Apex+ (~1988), Apex Grinds, now the Mizunos.. Now 3-woods, Ive been through way too many.
Old 10-19-02, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't golfed in over a year. I don't think I can afford to play a round of golf right now...gotta save money for moving.

Old 10-19-02, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Then Ping. OK the only Pings I've ever wanted are the ones that are Be-Cu or maybe Nickel. Buying those is like investing in a bond, they never lose their prices. Which means you can't really get them for less than $600, even if it's the Ping Eye 2 made 9 years ago.
I have a set of Ping Eye 2 Black Dots.

Old 10-19-02, 09:13 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
I have a set of Ping Eye 2 Black Dots.

Are they copper? I checked Ebay for Ping Eye 2 Copper and they are expensive as hell. The regular ones are pretty decent price. The regular Ping Eye 2s were nice (9 years ago )

Old 10-19-02, 09:21 PM
Mod Emeritus

well, the MP29 is a better quality head with no offset compared to the slight offset w/ the mp14s (more traditional ), and I hit the ball very high, so I also liked the lower loft angles. Plus, this isn't a good reason to choose a club, but more pro's use the MP29s. I did have to get used to the bigger heads because I previously used Hogan Apex from the early 90's which are much smaller than the Apex from the last 5 or 6 years. In 15+ years of golf I have only used Apex+ (~1988), Apex Grinds, now the Mizunos.. Now 3-woods, Ive been through way too many.
The trouble with getting beautiful blades like Apex or Mizunos is they look like crap a year after own them, with all the little dents in them. Of course, that doesn't really matter, but I think it'd be kinda annoying, since their original look is so pleasing.

It really is a blade buyers market out there, with the Titleist, Nike, Hogan, and Mizuno models. I think Precept has a pure blade out there as well. I'm actually a pretty good golfer, but my irons have been atrocious and I want something to accomodate that. My woods and short game are both pretty good, but if I got blades, my hand would be numb after one round. Even the best players use game improvement irons (pros who are paid by Callaway), so I figure even if I get my iron swing improved, it's no harm to have some nice cavity backs.
Old 10-19-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are they copper? I checked Ebay for Ping Eye 2 Copper and they are expensive as hell. The regular ones are pretty decent price. The regular Ping Eye 2s were nice (9 years ago )

No, they're not copper.

Yeah, they're old...but they're good.

Old 10-19-02, 10:33 PM
Mod Emeritus

Yeah those are classics! You'd probably want to upgrade to ISI if you ever get a new set. Kinda a fusion of Ping Zing and Ping Eye.
Old 10-19-02, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk God

It would be a no brainer for me. I'd choose Adams Tight Lies GT Performance irons.

I believe they are the best out of the rough irons I've ever hit.

I would have bought them recently when I purchased new clubs, but I was able to make a real deal on Orlimars.
Old 10-19-02, 11:27 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by classicman2
It would be a no brainer for me. I'd choose Adams Tight Lies GT Performance irons.

I believe they are the best out of the rough irons I've ever hit.

I would have bought them recently when I purchased new clubs, but I was able to make a real deal on Orlimars.
How are you liking the Orlimers? The HIP Steel right?

Speaking of Orlimer, man those Dave Pelz wedges look sweet.
Old 11-01-02, 05:41 PM
Mod Emeritus

OK if anyone cares, I actually took Immortal_Zeus's advice and splurged a bit and got a set of Ping ISI BeCu black dot from Ebay. Pretty good price ($400 shipping included). Best of all worlds. Damn I hate buyer's remorse though, I walked into a store today and say those Hogan Apex Forged Cavity Backs (look super forgiving) for like $400 new. Oh well!

Anyone else upgrading this off season?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.