Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

NBA 2002-2003 Season: Thoughts? Predictions? Sacramento Queens!?!

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-18-02, 04:23 PM
Banned

Oh goody, another season is upon us.

Obviously, the main topic of conversation is the Lakers vs. Kings rivalry that is closing in on the 80's Lakers vs. Celtics matchup. Shaq calls them the "Sacramento Queens". Phil Jackson and Kobe take some shots as well. Is this gonna be a great season rivalry or what? Both teams are incredible this year, doing a lot of work in the off-season...Kobe for one is ripped compared to last year.

The year will also have some new faces, Jay Williams and of course Yao. Should be a good year for rookies...and should prove to be a terrible year for Yao who has no idea what he's getting into

Anyways, anyone have any thoughts or predictions on the year? Can the Knicks win 20 games? Will T-Mac and Grant take the East by storm? Will the Mavericks make that next step?

Should prove to be an exciting season.
Old 10-18-02, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I predict there will be at least one team (likely more) better than the Lakers, but they will find a way to screw it up. All other major news items will surround stories having nothing to do with on-court performance.

das
Old 10-18-02, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Did ABC/ESPN hire different writers than NBC.
Old 10-18-02, 04:59 PM
Banned

Ugh, please get over it.

Hopefully ABC's coverage will be respectable...not like NBC was always perfect but I was happy with them for the majority over the 10 years.
Old 10-18-02, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Kings-Lakers rivalry has a LONG way to go to match the Celtics-Lakers rivalry of the 80s. In fact, it will probably NEVER reach that point because the Kings and Lakers will never play each other for the NBA Championship unless one team moves out of the Western Conference, which is highly unlikely.

I'm not sure what to make of the Celtics (my favorite team). I'm glad Kenny Anderson is gone because I thought he was a crappy point guard. Problem is, there isn't a decent point guard on the roster! Shammond Williams will probably end up winning the starting job eventually.

I really like Kedrick Brown (he's got some serious hops), but he's injured and out for about a month.

I've met both Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker (separately and away from basketball) and I hope that they can continue the amazing run that they put together last year.

I'm not too sure what to make of Vin Baker...haven't seen how he's done in preseason, but I can only hope that he's in shape and motivated.

I will also make this prediction:

IF THE KNICKS MAKE THE LOTTERY, THEY WILL GET THE #1 PICK, LEBRON JAMES, AND NBA CONSPIRACY THEORISTS WILL BE UP IN ARMS AGAIN.

Old 10-18-02, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Red Dog
Did ABC/ESPN hire different writers than NBC.

God, I hope so. Another season on NBC, and not only would the Lakers win more championships, but Kobe and Shaq would decide to have a baby together in a "very special episode." A twist of fate will cause them to split up, and we'll spend the whole season wondering if they can get back together in time for sweeps (and the playoffs). Cue Enya music.

das
Old 10-18-02, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm curious to see how the Clippers do. They've got enough drama for all 29 teams combined what with their 8 free agents all playing for a long term contract. Hopefully, Andre Miller will be able to pull them all together so that they can bump somebody from the playoffs.

I just hope that ESPN doesn't ask Dick Vitale to host some NBA games.
Old 10-18-02, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd love to see the Clippers do well! They've got so much frickin' talent, it's unbelievable.

Young, exciting, team.

Old 10-18-02, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm just hoping Philly can get it together and play some team ball with NO off court drama (looks sternly at the guy wearing the #3 jersey )
Old 10-18-02, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
I'd love to see the Clippers do well! They've got so much frickin' talent, it's unbelievable.

Young, exciting, team.

Yeah I'm slightly interested in seeing what they can do.
Old 10-18-02, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by tsohg
Yeah I'm slightly interested in seeing what they can do.
I know I asked you this a long time ago, but I can't remember what you said (sorry)....are you a UK fan or UL? Or neither? For some reason, I thought I remembered you saying that you didn't watch too much basketball.

Old 10-18-02, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Young, exciting, team.

they f'd up in not trading odom.

how can you let miles go [who IMO could be the next KG] when you're trying to bring in the leagues leader in assists? i was all ready to hear "miller to miles! slam dunk!" stupid pot smoking odom

as much of a Lakers fan i am... i do like the Clippers. it will be interesting to see the 3 centers rotate...

Olowakandi - pulls down 8 boards & 8 pts a night, inside player
Rooks - mid range jumper, no defense, puts up a big body
Wang - 3 pt threat, soft inside, 1 block per game (from behind)
Old 10-18-02, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know I asked you this a long time ago, but I can't remember what you said (sorry)....are you a UK fan or UL? Or neither? For some reason, I thought I remembered you saying that you didn't watch too much basketball.

My dad is from "Da'Ville" so I was raised anti UK but I root for them occasionally. I don't follow college as much as the pros but that is changing I'm giving the NBA one more season or two not to suck before I go NCAA
Old 10-18-02, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by devilshalo

as much of a Lakers fan i am... i do like the Clippers. it will be interesting to see the 3 centers rotate...

Olowakandi - pulls down 8 boards & 8 pts a night, inside player
Rooks - mid range jumper, no defense, puts up a big body
Wang - 3 pt threat, soft inside, 1 block per game (from behind)
i doubt rooks will play when they have so many big bodies available. don't forget that they also have the two rookies: melvin ely who plays center and chris wilcox.
i think the thing about trading odom vs miles is that it basically comes down to a money situation. miles would probably want a big money contract whenever his contract comes up based on potential and whatever but with odom, they can reason not to give him max money because of his drug problems and recent injury problems.
Old 10-18-02, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by tofu
i doubt rooks will play when they have so many big bodies available. don't forget that they also have the two rookies: melvin ely who plays center and chris wilcox.
rooks has the time right now to try and get some minutes from the rookies..

look at this list:

Elton Brand - Surgery
Keyon Dooling - Left Ankle Surgery
Melvin Ely - Injured
Lamar Odom - Sore Right Ankle & Wrist
Michael Olowokandi - Injured Knee
Quentin Richardson - Torn MCL Right Knee
Bryant Stith - Injured Right Knee
Chris Wilcox - Strained Right Quad

i think the thing about trading odom vs miles is that it basically comes down to a money situation. miles would probably want a big money contract whenever his contract comes up based on potential and whatever but with odom, they can reason not to give him max money because of his drug problems and recent injury problems.
more like they couldn't move odom due to the drug prob.. he was on the table but cleveland was very hesitant to accept the straight up offer. miles can be a franchise player... just a short range jumper away
Old 10-18-02, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I predict that the Knicks will suck balls.
Old 10-18-02, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally posted by Bushdog
I predict that the Knicks will suck balls.
Really going out on a limb there.
Old 10-18-02, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm just hoping Philly can get it together and play some team ball with NO off court drama (looks sternly at the guy wearing the #3 jersey )
This season is a complete tossup. I have no idea where this team is going. The last few years I could usually get a general idea of what the team was headed for. This year I could just as easily see them in the Finals as I could staying home for the playoffs. I'm just not really sure how good they are.

As for other teams, obviously, a rematch of that Kings-Lakers series is what every NBA fan has to be hoping for. That was simply an amazing series. The only other team I can see challenging the Lakers is Dallas, but they have to learn how to play defense first. No one in the East can touch any of the top contenders in the West. Orlando WILL take over the East this year if they stay healthy.
Old 10-18-02, 11:29 PM
Retired

I'm hoping Grant Hill stays healthy. If so the Magic have a good chance of winning the east. It looks good so far. No reports of limping, or icing his ankle as there was last preseason.

Regardless, they have no chance against whoever comes out of the West, but no one in the east does right now. Hopefully the Magic can get Tim Duncan after this season. They should have a better chance this go around, as Robinson will be retiring.
Old 10-18-02, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's to the Warriors' improvement with a new coach!

It could happen... I'm hoping for 30 wins (but I'm thinking haha.... yeah right...)
Old 10-19-02, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Regardless, they have no chance against whoever comes out of the West, but no one in the east does right now. Hopefully the Magic can get Tim Duncan after this season. They should have a better chance this go around, as Robinson will be retiring.
Thing is, with a healthy and successful Grant Hill and a healthy T-Mac, that team has a *chance* against any team from the west (a chance, not a good chance). You need 2 stars to win in the NBA, and those 2 could be 2 of the top handful in the league, which could mean anything could happen (again, not likely, but possible).
Old 10-19-02, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Celtics-Kings Final with the Celtics sweeping in 4!
Old 10-19-02, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My dad is from "Da'Ville" so I was raised anti UK but I root for them occasionally. I don't follow college as much as the pros but that is changing I'm giving the NBA one more season or two not to suck before I go NCAA
Cool. I cheer for Louisville all the time except when they play Kentucky. My dad grew up in Kentucky and he made me a UK fan, but he liked UL too.

Rick Pitino is a great college coach (horrible pro coach, though). He'll work wonders at UL and bring them back to prominence very soon.

I know what you mean about the NBA....I've become quite disenchanted with it in the past few years and I've grown to like football way more (although I LOVE college basketball).

Old 10-19-02, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by devilshalo
they f'd up in not trading odom.

how can you let miles go [who IMO could be the next KG] when you're trying to bring in the leagues leader in assists? i was all ready to hear "miller to miles! slam dunk!" stupid pot smoking odom

Sterling screwed up. The Cavaliers would've taken Odom and the #8 pick (who they wanted to use on Caron Butler), but Sterling drafted Chris Wilcox instead (Cleveland didn't really want a PF).

All along, the Cavs had hoped that they could get Miles instead of Odom, but at one point, they were willing to take Odom (and that precious 8th pick).

The trade could still work out for the Clips....but it all depends on Sterling changing his ways and shelling out $$$ to keep his talent.

Old 10-19-02, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by thecrazydude
Celtics-Kings Final with the Celtics sweeping in 4!
Now I can see why you're called thecrazydude.

I would love to see that happen, but it won't.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.