Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Kirby Puckett charged with sexual assault

Old 10-18-02, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kirby Puckett charged with sexual assault

http://msn.espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1018/1447647.html

A great rep as a person, certainly up until now. Were we fooled, or is this a BS charge by some women wanting a payoff?
Old 10-18-02, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is one in a long line of transgressions Puckett has done. It's sad that the most famous sports person in this town has turned into a perv. His wife divorced him because of alledged adultery and he was accused of sexual assault one other time as well, although I am not sure if charges were brought or not on that case.
Old 10-18-02, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I find this hard to believe.

More likely that they both got a little hot and heavy and then she went for a payoff.
Old 10-18-02, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Bushdog
I find this hard to believe.

More likely that they both got a little hot and heavy and then she went for a payoff.
I actually don't find it hard to believe with all the stories flying around about his alleged adultery (outside of this). I believe they just divorced last week.
Old 10-18-02, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Charlie Liebrandt should charge him for assault on his pitching career.

das
Old 10-18-02, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tom Kelly said (a couple years ago) that Puckett never really got over not being able to play ball anymore.

I wonder if his behavior has gone down hill as a result of that?

I have no idea. I have no inside-Minnesota knowledge of him, just what I saw on the field and his persona off it during his career.
Old 10-18-02, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This part gets me:

The prosecutor also said an independent witness who did not recognize Puckett or know the woman saw Puckett drag her into the restroom and saw her come out looking scared. She also cited the woman's injuries, including bruises on her arm, ankle and breast.
Why would the woman show another woman the bruises on her breast? More importantly, when would she even be able to do that? The report says that the woman came out of the bathroom, so where and when would she have an opportunity to show a witness the bruise on her breast? "Hey, I was just assaulted, look at this bruise on my breast!" Doesn't really make sense to me.

Old 10-18-02, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
This part gets me:

Why would the woman show another woman the bruises on her breast? More importantly, when would she even be able to do that? The report says that the woman came out of the bathroom, so where and when would she have an opportunity to show a witness the bruise on her breast? "Hey, I was just assaulted, look at this bruise on my breast!" Doesn't really make sense to me.

Ok, it could just be poor writing, but you seem to be assuming the "she cited the woman's injuries..." to be the witness doing the citing. It seems to me to more likely refer to the prosecutor saying a) we have this witness and b) we have these bruises. The prosecutor is also a "she", and "she cited" refers to her, I think. (although I don't know where your quote comes from, since the ESPN article didn't say that...
Old 10-18-02, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I assumed the "she" was the witness and not the prosecutor. You're probably correct that the "she" was the prosecutor.

I copied and pasted that directly from the ESPN.com article, but it appears that they've changed the article slightly now.

Old 10-19-02, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Isn't he blind nowadays? Or was it just one eye that became legally blind?
Old 10-21-02, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

god, I hope this turns out to be b.s., if its true this would definitely suck.

say it ain't so KP