Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Terrell Owens is "misinterpreted"

Old 10-18-02, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Terrell Owens is "misinterpreted"

League fines Owens $5,000 for untucked shirttail

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Terrell Owens was fined $5,000 Thursday by the NFL -- for an untucked shirttail, not for his autograph touchdown celebration.

Owens wasn't punished for pulling a pen from his sock to sign the football after a touchdown catch in the San Francisco 49ers' 28-21 victory over Seattle on Monday night.

Instead, the league sent him a letter containing a much more common, minor fine for equipment violations.

Owens called it "nonsense ... a very nit-picky thing."

"It states on the notice that I specifically wore my shirt out during the game," Owens said. "I constantly tucked it in throughout the course of the game, and people were tugging on me, and it just came out."

Thursday, Owens told the San Francisco Examiner that the NFL targets African-American players with rules against self-expression. Consequently, he told the paper, the public misinterprets the actions of African-American athletes.

"You have a white guy as an announcer and sportscaster," Owens was quoted as saying. "Me, I'm black. I do it and I've already done some stuff in the past.

"We're (African-Americans) more expressive than the white guys," Owen said. "You look at the skilled players. We're the ones that get into the end zone. We get in the end zone more than they do."

After beating cornerback Shawn Springs for the winning touchdown in the fourth quarter, Owens produced a pen, signed the football and presented it to his financial adviser in the front row.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Owens won't be fined or suspended for the move, but similar displays will be punished.
linky

friggin ass clown
Old 10-18-02, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Paul Tagliabue is a racist.
Old 10-18-02, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Racism, yeah

Why doesn't he call it what it is. There is a BS badboy hiphop subculture that mainly blacks embrace that is hostile to authority and playing by the rules. Why should the NFL change for him.

If I was one of the unskilled white guy lineman, I'd let my defender in to cream him on a reverse.
Old 10-18-02, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

LMAO

The love affair with T.O. continues...

Easy button, meet push.
Old 10-18-02, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, he is right about blacks being in the skill positions.

I don't know how or why he's blaming a loose shirt tail and the resulting fine on him being black, though.
Old 10-18-02, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
Well, he is right about blacks being in the skill positions.
Is QB not a skill position? And there are plenty of white receivers.
Old 10-18-02, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Bushdog
Don't forget TE too...Gonzo and Heap and McMichael et al have seen the end zone an aweful lot (gonzo has been ther twice as much as Owens)
Old 10-18-02, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by weargle
Paul Tagliabue is a racist.
Yep he's a racist butt-clown!

and TO doesn't sound at all racist.
Old 10-18-02, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Bushdog
Yes, QB is a skill position and yes there are more white QBs than black ones and yes there are white receivers. However, the majority of skill players are black.

There aren't many standout white receivers. Ed McCaffrey and Wayne Chrebet are probably two of the better white receivers (currently), but they're not necessarily standout receivers. Also, how many good white running backs are there?

Old 10-18-02, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dr. Dean
Don't forget TE too...Gonzo and Heap and McMichael et al have seen the end zone an aweful lot (gonzo has been ther twice as much as Owens)
Tony Gonzalez is not white. He's Latino.

Randy McMichael is not white. He's black.

Old 10-18-02, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry about McMicheal, I meant Anthony Becht (my opponent this week in FF has McMichael going and I have McMike on the brain)...And my point was that Gonzo isn't black...since that is all that is important to Owens is the "black" thing
Old 10-18-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just saying that the majority of skill players are black...and the majority of good skill players are black as well.

I think that's the whole issue to the whole "lack of minority coaches and front office personnel" debate since most skill players seem to be minorities.

Old 10-18-02, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
I think that a question that nobody seems to ask is why successful football players *don't* embrace coaching after their playing career is over rather than blame the NFL for not hiring minority coaches. Quick -- name former superstar black football players that are now coaches. I can think of Doug Williams as one ...
Old 10-18-02, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Does anyone ever complain that whitey doesn't get a chance to be a WR or an RB?

Seems some black interests don't like it that they are under-represented among QBs, so I figure they would care. I mean, we do know that all this group of interests wants is equity.
Old 10-18-02, 03:49 PM

While i agree that blacks are more expressive than whites, you also have to know when to draw the line. I'm black myself, and some of the things football players to after a TD/sack/INT/first down/9 yard run/and big hits, just make me bow my head in shame...especially when i'm in a bar full of white people in Woodland hills
Old 10-18-02, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by mee2
While i agree that blacks are more expressive than whites, you also have to know when to draw the line. I'm black myself, and some of the things football players to after a TD/sack/INT/first down/9 yard run/and big hits, just make me bow my head in shame...especially when i'm in a bar full of white people in Woodland hills
You know why? Because it isn't a race thing. There's nothing about a black that makes them more expressive than whites (IMHO). Some blacks do have a different subculture though, one that is more expressive.
Old 10-18-02, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes because Marvin Harrison and Jerry Rice (Number 2 and Number 1 best active receivers IMO) are such glory hounds and because they are black, we should fine them too.....

This guy is getting to be worse than Randy Moss.
Old 10-18-02, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

his whole thought process is crap. somehow, i don't see jim brown, gayle sayers, or even emmitt smith pulling any of the crap that he does. what a moron.
Old 10-18-02, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by weargle
I think that a question that nobody seems to ask is why successful football players *don't* embrace coaching after their playing career is over rather than blame the NFL for not hiring minority coaches. Quick -- name former superstar black football players that are now coaches. I can think of Doug Williams as one ...
Maybe they don't "embrace" coaching because they feel they don't have a chance? Maybe they're discouraged because there are what, like 2 black NFL coaches and 4 Division I black football coaches? Not sure if those numbers are correct, but I recall reading that before, I think.

Some people will look at those numbers and be motivated to make a difference. Others will look at them and be discouraged. My guess is that most are discouraged.

By the way, I would hardly consider Doug Williams a "former superstar". A Superbowl ring does not a superstar make.

Old 10-18-02, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by kevin75
his whole thought process is crap. somehow, i don't see jim brown, gayle sayers, or even emmitt smith pulling any of the crap that he does. what a moron.
Like Colin Powell, they must be house negoes or uncle toms.
Old 10-19-02, 09:23 AM

if i remember right did'nt "Jimmy the Greek" Catch alot of heat for his comments some years back for basically saying the same thing about black players in the nfl, that there built as better players and so he was labled as a racist, Terrel Owens says it and he's black and so no big deal.

Last edited by psxfan2; 10-19-02 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-19-02, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/1018/1447904.html

NEW YORK -- Any player thinking about copying Terrell Owens' autograph session should beware: The NFL has sent a memo to all 32 teams warning that carrying foreign objects will bring a 15-yard penalty and possible ejection from the game.

Owens created a stir Monday night when, following his second touchdown catch in San Francisco's victory over Seattle, he pulled a pen from his sock, signed the ball and handed it to his financial adviser in the front row. Owens was warned and the only punishment he received was a $5,000 fine for having his jersey untucked.

"We sent a memo to the clubs clarifying that a player possessing a foreign object -- an object not part of the uniform -- is subject to a 15-yard penalty,'' NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Friday. "If the referee deems the object to be a safety hazard, the player will be ejected from the game. An object such as a pen will be considered a safety hazard.''

The autograph-signing episode has been a topic of conversation all week. Many fans and people inside the game saw the stunt as amusing, but others were furious. Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren called it "a dishonor to anyone who ever played this game.''

Owens told a San Francisco newspaper that race might have been a motivating factor in the criticism he received, but he backed off those statements Friday.

"People have the misconception about me that I am angry all the time or that I am a bad guy,'' he said in a statement. "When you see me celebrate, I don't dance with a scowl or frown. I am happy.''

==================

"People have the misconception about me that I am angry all the time or that I am a bad guy,'' he said in a statement. "When you see me celebrate, I don't dance with a scowl or frown. I am happy.''
Does this make him special or something?!?! I don't know anybody who frowns when they celebrate.

Old 10-19-02, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/1018/1447911.html

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Two days after claiming that black players are singled out for their on-field celebrations, San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Terrell Owens softened his tone Friday.

"This is not a racial issue. It's about perception,'' Owens said in a statement issued by the team. "I am a target because of who I am and what I have done in the past. It seems like everything I do is taken to another level.''

Owens has spent much of the week defending his behavior following his second touchdown catch in a 28-21 victory over Seattle last Sunday. After the score, Owens reached into his sock and pulled out a pen to sign the ball. He then handed it to his financial adviser sitting nearby.

The All-Pro receiver was not disciplined by the NFL for the unprecedented stunt, only warned. The league did send a memo to all 32 teams saying similar celebrations would result in a penalty and possibly an ejection -- but only because carrying a pen could be a danger to players.

In Thursday's editions of the San Francisco Examiner, Owens said the NFL targets black players with rules aimed at curbing individual expression.

"We're more expressive than the white guys,'' he said. "You look at the skilled players. We're the ones that get into the end zone. We get in the end zone more than they do.''

Owens has brought negative publicity on himself in the past. Last year he feuded with 49ers coach Steve Mariucci, and two years ago he was widely scorned for twice dancing on the Dallas Cowboys' midfield logo after scoring touchdowns.

"People have the misconception about me that I am angry all the time or that I am a bad guy,'' he said in Friday's statement. "When you see me celebrate, I don't dance with a scowl or frown. I am happy. I am happy because I am doing what I expect to do for our team to be successful. Football is an emotional game, and I like to have fun.''

Owens and his teammates are in New Orleans preparing for Sunday's game against the Saints.
==============================

"I am a target because of who I am and what I have done in the past. It seems like everything I do is taken to another level.''
True. Same with Randy Moss and Keyshaun Johnson. It's their owns fault, though.

Old 10-19-02, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/1018/1447911.html

"We're more expressive than the white guys,'' he said. "You look at the skilled players. We're the ones that get into the end zone. We get in the end zone more than they do.''

This IS racist.
Old 10-20-02, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

if it wasn't for a White guy QB like Jeff Garcia on his team, TO won't be in the end zone that often now.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.