Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Bengals may be sued for sucking

Old 10-17-02, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bengals may be sued for sucking

And from the "sweet justice" file

http://bengals.enquirer.com/2002/10/...ies_suing.html County commissioners unanimously agreed Wednesday to send the Bengals' stadium lease to the prosecutor's office for a legal opinion on whether the team has violated the agreement by failing to field a competitive team.

Todd Portune received support from fellow commissioners John Dowlin and Tom Neyer to ask Hamilton County Prosecutor Mike Allen to review the lease.

“They are asking for a legal opinion on the viability of taking legal action,” Allen said.

Portune brought up the issue Wednesday morning at a commission meeting at Finneytown High School. He referred to a sentence in the lease that says the one-half percent increase in the county's sales tax was needed to “keep competitive and viable major league football and baseball teams in Cincinnati by construction of a new football stadium in Hamilton County.”

Said Portune, “Has the long losing record of poor performances on the field risen to violate the express or implied conditions of the agreement?”

Troy Blackburn, the Bengals business development director, said the organization had no comment about Wednesday's action.

Steve Alic, an NFL spokesman, said, “We will not have any comment on that.”

One commissioner cannot send an item to the prosecutor's office for research. That move requires an agreement by two or more commissioners.

“I am not an attorney,” Dowlin said when asked why he went along with Portune. “The prosecutor is our legal advisor. I have no idea if we have legal grounds. Geez, let's see.”

Dowlin repeated in an interview a comment that he made during the sales-tax debate. It passed in March 1996.

“I would have gone to the train station and kissed them goodbye,” he said Wednesday of the Bengals, which threatened to leave if they didn't get a new stadium from voters. “From the beginning, it was very obvious to me the Bengals were making money and the Reds were not.”

The sales-tax increase also is financing construction of the Reds' Great American Ballpark, which will open next baseball season.

The Bengals are 0-6, the league's only winless team. They are 10-28 since moving into Paul Brown Stadium, the taxpayer-financed facility that opened in September 2000. They have sold out just seven of 19 home games there.

“My layman's view is that we don't have a legal leg to stand on,” Neyer said, “but I am a layman. So it makes sense for us to consult with our attorney.”

Neyer also said that he thinks the county's stadium lease with the Bengals is consistent with other professional sports leases.

“Everybody would feel better if the Bengals were 6-0 instead of 0-6,” Neyer said. “But how you feel is different than the letter of the law. I still think it is a good thing for Hamilton County that we have a professional football team.”
Old 10-17-02, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk God

this lawsuit could be one of the bengals only wins
Old 10-17-02, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-17-02, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

“I still think it is a good thing for Hamilton County that we have a professional football team.”
That's a damn_lie! The Bengals aren't a professional football team. They're a glorified Division IIA team
Old 10-17-02, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I heard this on the radio the other day ... nearly wet myself.

das
Old 10-17-02, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-17-02, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The county commissioners do have a legal case, but they probably won't win. Hilarious.

Old 10-17-02, 11:24 PM
Premium Member

Sad thing is that they are already talking about (on Cincy talk radio) when Mike Brown will hand his reigns over to his daughter, who also thinks that 1 + 1 = 3

and from a cross post... I truly believe several college teams could hand the Bengal's jocks to them... They really are that bad.

Bengals have virtually no scouting and no "NFL aware GM"... And Kenny Anderson has to go as QB/OFF coach. He's been the constant with the 13 starting QBs in 11 years, no clue why the team hasn't seen that, everyone else has...

Last edited by The Cow; 10-17-02 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-18-02, 12:40 AM

The Bengals may yet win a game this season...

Joe Germaine will be the QB.
Old 10-18-02, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Bengals may yet win a game this season...

Originally posted by Ranger02

Joe Germaine will be the QB.
If the Rams can win a game this season, anything can happen.