Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Bonds and Lofton = Jerks

Old 10-15-02, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bonds and Lofton = Jerks

Talk about your poor winners:
http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/caple_jim/1446134.html

"I loved it,'' Bonds said. "It was on purpose. Morris is too good a pitcher to hit anybody like that. He has pinpoint accuracy. He let his emotions get to him. It just goes to show you, God doesn't like ugly. It comes back to bite you in the ass. But that's OK, he had the first laugh and Kenny had the last laugh.''

"It probably was on purpose,'' Lofton said. "But the purpose now is that I'm going to the World Series and he's going home.''

I'll derive much pleasure after the Angels sweep the Giants in 4.
Old 10-15-02, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Or sore loser for whining about it. Lofton's a real jackass to be sure, but the Cards spent quite a bit of time saying bad stuff about him in the press. It's pretty fair for him to talk some smack after playing so well in the series.

I assume Bonds is talking about Lofton's HBP, because I seriously doubt he hit Kent on purpose.

das
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lofton's a jerk for thinking he was pegged intentionally? Or because he used the word "purpose" incorrectly while trying to be clever?
DVD Talk God

a pitcher plunks a player and the player throws a tantrum.. and people get upset at the player and say he should just go out there and win, and get his revenge that way.. well, thats what lofton did, yet people still wanna get upset about that
Old 10-15-02, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by das Monkey

I assume Bonds is talking about Lofton's HBP, because I seriously doubt he hit Kent on purpose.

das
But that's OK, he had the first laugh and Kenny had the last laugh.''
just in case you missed it
Old 10-15-02, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I see some bitter fans in this thread... and lofton was pegged intentionally both times.

When it came to words, LaRussa is much worse and sets a bad example for a manager.. He has shown it in the past, and did it again this series. I give a little leeway for players, but Larussa is a class jerk too.

Oh, but that's OK, he had the first laugh and Kenny had the last laugh.

Old 10-15-02, 04:19 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Jerks or not, they're closer to a World Series championship than the Cardinals have been in 15 years.

I wish Morris had pinpoint accuracy. Is it April yet?
Old 10-15-02, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was not impressed in how Lofton handled himself during the series, but Bonds seemed to be focused and was professional during the series.

Bonds may keep to himself, but I would not call him a jerk. He is just trying to win a World Series for his team and himself (maybe not in that order). He has shown himself a team player this year taking the walks and letting the rest of team shine like stars. He is not chasing pitches and stricking out like he has done in the years past.

Good job Bonds!!!!
Old 10-15-02, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by grrrah

When it came to words, LaRussa is much worse and sets a bad example for a manager.. He has shown it in the past, and did it again this series. I give a little leeway for players, but Larussa is a class jerk too.

Oh, but that's OK, he had the first laugh and Kenny had the last laugh.

I agree. LaRussa loves to hear himself talk. He is always talking smack but he rarely gets called on it.

Up until Lofton got hit he had done nothing in the past 3 games since the brush back incident. After they hit him, he went 3 for 4, scored the tieing run and hit the game winning single. Being hit probably fired him up. As the old saying goes you should let sleeping dogs lie.
Old 10-15-02, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, they should've just said Morris sucks and has no control over his balls.
Old 10-15-02, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Jerks = NO

Next World Series Winners = YES