Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Bandwagon Fans

Old 10-15-02, 02:59 PM

Bandwagon Fans

As much as I hate doing this in the Sports Forum, I was thinking . . .

What is so wrong with Bandwagon fans? All the fans that stick with their teams day in/ day out despise the Bandwagoners. But why? For example, I love the Angels this year. They are such a scrappy team with such respectable players. I find myself cheering for them every game.

However, I've always been a diehard O's fan. I seem to die pretty hard every year. Is it wrong for me to jump on the Angel's bandwagon, just like I jumped on the Patriots bandwagon last year? (Note: I would never pick the Angels over the O's, or the Pats over the Eagles). Baseball needs all the excitement it can get in order to stay in business. So why are we hard on the fans that come out of the woodwork to cheer for a team that is finally winning? If the team keeps winning, won't these fans start becoming actual fans? Even if the fans leave after a couple loosing seasons, shouldn't that be expected? Why should you support a team that keeps losing and spending money (or not spending money) in the wrong places?

Ok, enough thinking for now, gotta check out espn.com . . .
Old 10-15-02, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk God

You have to make a distinction btwn bandwagon and fair-weather fans. I don't mind fair-weather fans - these are fans who follow one team and only one team when they are playing well. I'm an O's fan as well. I will always be an O's fan but my interest has waned over the last 5 years. When they return to prominence, then I will likely return. I could never bring myself to root passionately for another team.

Bandwagon fans are completely different. Bandwagon fans jump from team to team. They were wearing cheeseheads in the mid-90s with the Packers. Then they were in love with the Rams high-octane offense. Now they are probably in love with Donovan McNabb. These are fans whom I can't stand. They jump from one hot team to the next hot team.
Old 10-15-02, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's a difference between cheering for a different team and doing what the Dog mentioned, jumping from one hot team to another. The latter is most annoying.

With free agency, it's difficult to keep cheering for the same team every year unless you're the most die hard fan. The Braves have always been my favorite team. In the 80s, my second favorite team was the Mets. Somewhere along the line, they acquired enough players/managers that I disliked to where I started rooting against them. The Mets of the 90s weren't the same Mets of the 80s to be sure, and I stopped cheering for them despite their success. I don't really have a problem with that. As long as you're not hopping on the "hot team" bandwagon all the time, it doesn't bother me.

I have a few teams that I love (one in each sport), a few more teams I hate (one or two in each sport) and then a bunch of teams I simply like or dislike. For example, again, my team is the Braves, but they're out. I like the Giants. I dislike the Cards. I LOVE baseball, so I'm watching every game and cheering for the Giants. I'm not going to go out and buy a Giants jersey if they win the WS, and therein probably lies the difference.

I don't know where you draw the specific line. Perhaps it's all in the motivation. If you cheer for a team because they interest you, then I don't see a big deal there. If you cheer for teams because they're popular or suddenly winning, that's pretty annoying.

I cheer for the Angels because of the Rally Monkey. Actually, I don't really cheer for the Angels at all. I cheer for the Rally Monkey. I couldn't care less if they win or lose, but more victories means more appearances from my simian brother, so I guess indirectly I cheer for the Angels. Now obviously, I have a screw loose for actually liking the Rally Monkey, but I don't think my motivation is bad. If I started cheering for them because they're suddenly winning, that's pretty weak.

When you watch as much sport as many of us do, you invariably find yourself rooting for/against teams that you're not passionate about. As long as you don't switch your passions each year to the new hot team, I don't see a big problem.

Personally, I don't like fair-weather fans that much though. If they're "your team" then you should follow and cheer for them no matter what; otherwise, they're not "your team." I guess it's cool to be a fair-weather fan of tems you just like, but if it's "your team" then you need to be there for the bad as well as the good. People who claim to "huge" fans of a team, but only follow that team when they win ... that really annoys me. I wish the Falcons success; they're local. I don't care when they lose. I'm moderately interested when they win. But I'm a Raiders fan. They're my team, win or lose.

I have no idea if there's anything coherent in this post ... probably not.

das
Old 10-15-02, 03:53 PM

Still, why not jump from one team to the next. Sports need these types of fans in order to stay in business. The teams that pull the most bandwagoners make the most money and therefore, with better than average management, produce the best teams (i.e. the Yankees). Although I wish fans would stay loyal, I also wish those sad clubs like the expos and marlins could pull from the undecided fans and get some revenue.
Old 10-15-02, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey

I have no idea if there's anything coherent in this post ... probably not.

das
No... but I really liked the part about the rally monkey.
Old 10-15-02, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In this forum the term Bandwagon Fan seems to get used for just about any fan of an opposing team.

It's seems to be most often used to get under another person's skin.

For me if you change teams from time to time (and you have a real reason) I wouldn't throw the flag on you.

But if you always seem to show up in the jersey of the latest Championship team you likely are taking it a bit too far and will have earned all the hatred you, no doubt will attract.
Old 10-15-02, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jookie
Still, why not jump from one team to the next. Sports need these types of fans in order to stay in business. The teams that pull the most bandwagoners make the most money and therefore, with better than average management, produce the best teams (i.e. the Yankees). Although I wish fans would stay loyal, I also wish those sad clubs like the expos and marlins could pull from the undecided fans and get some revenue.
IMO:

Loyal Fan =

Franchise or Player (that doesn't care about the above) =
Old 10-15-02, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think what jookie is talking about is fine. I'm a diehard Tigers fan, so this time of year leaves little for me baseball-wise (actually anything after June 15 or so, most years). Anyway, I always pick teams to root for during the post season. It's almost always the underdogs (no Braves or Yankees need apply).

I don't consider myself a bandwagon fan for doing so. Now, if I start walking around with a spanking new Adam Kennedy jersey, well I'm probably a bandwagon fan.

Bandwagon fans annoy die-hards, because die-hards went through the tough times with the team and feel closer to the team as a result. If a bandwagon fan in his Adam Kennedy jersey starts talking smack to the die-hard Twins fan, whose team was just eliminated, you can expect some harsh words.
Old 10-15-02, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by bralph
I think what jookie is talking about is fine. I'm a diehard Tigers fan, so this time of year leaves little for me baseball-wise (actually anything after June 15 or so, most years). Anyway, I always pick teams to root for during the post season. It's almost always the underdogs (no Braves or Yankees need apply).

I don't consider myself a bandwagon fan for doing so. Now, if I start walking around with a spanking new Adam Kennedy jersey, well I'm probably a bandwagon fan.

IMO you wouldn't be a bandwagon for either situation unless the AK jersey is just the latest in a series of jerseys for the last 15 hot players.
Old 10-15-02, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by bralph
Anyway, I always pick teams to root for during the post season. It's almost always the underdogs (no Braves or Yankees need apply).

Rooting against favorites in post-season ball does not make you a bandwagon fan.

Heck, ever since 1997 (the last time the O's made the playoffs), I have rooted for Cleveland, Boston, Texas, Seattle, Oakland, Anaheim, Atlanta, San Diego, and Arizona in the playoffs. It should be easy to figure out what these teams all have in common.
Old 10-15-02, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think bandwagon is just what you said: you like the amngels now because of their players and their "scrapiness." Well, they had bascially the same players the last couple of years but you didn't cheer for them. Why? Because they were not winning, right?

To me bandwagon fans are easily defined: someone who cheers for whoever is winning.

I have no problem with bandwagon and/or fair-weather fans... I am not one and would never be one, but then I'm always rooting for teams that lose, so there you go.

And I agree with RD - post season rooting is a whole different animal.
Old 10-15-02, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JCJF10
IMO:

Loyal Fan =

Franchise or Player (that doesn't care about the above) =
Not Angels players.
Old 10-15-02, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by McHawkson
Not Angels players.
Whoby Whaty?
Old 10-15-02, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

JCJF10, if you didn't like bandwagon fans then you wouldn't have many people to talk to about your basketball team.
Old 10-15-02, 07:22 PM

A bandwagon fan is usually someone who is not really into the sport and will follow a winning team because they like supporting a winner, but could care less about the actual team. The moment the team starts losing they will start rooting for another team.

Being a true fan is when you are willing to support you team through good times and bad, I still remember all the crap I took when wearing my Dolphins shirt right after their horrible loss to Jacksonville in the playoffs. When the Dolphins win a superbowl it will be that much sweeter for me since I have had to deal with all their playoff losses.

If you really support a team you are willing to watch them when they are losing, but when the Dolphins get eliminated in the playoffs I will usually root for whichever AFC team is left as long as it is not the Jets or the Bills. I may not be a real fan of that team but I will just pick the team I like best out of the remaining teams and root for them.

I am rooting for the Giants because I like Bonds but I could really care less who wins the series.

Jets Suck!
Old 10-15-02, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i don't really have a problem with bandwagon fans untill they start talking like they know all about the team. I agree with bluntman72 that most don't care about sports that much. Thats why a lot of bandwagon fans are young kids. I mean every little kid (that doesnt know alot about sports) likes shaq.

I don't like it when people from the city of the winning team are considered bandwagon fans. Like after the texans beat the cowboys i was in a dorm room with a bunch of dallas fans and they were calling me a bandwagon jumper. I guess being from Houston doesn't give me the right to support them for some reason. Another example was in the rockets won the championship in the 90's. A lot of people from houston suddenly got interested in basketball. Is it crazy to think people from a city are going to get excited about their team when they start performing well?

many true fans hate bandwagon fans, but i don't have a problem with them.
Old 10-15-02, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by hypeiv
I don't like it when people from the city of the winning team are considered bandwagon fans. Like after the texans beat the cowboys i was in a dorm room with a bunch of dallas fans and they were calling me a bandwagon jumper.
Man you're SOOOO obviously a bandwagon jumper. I'm willing to bet you weren't watching the Texans last year, but win one game and here you go on the bandwagon!

Seriously though, if you were talking about how you didn't care about football, didn't care about the Texans because they were going to suck this year and then after the Dallas game you were talking about how great they were.... well then you might be considered a bandwagon jumper.

Personally I don't care about sillyness like that. It annoys me somewhat when people jump on a team I like, but that doesn't happen to often.

Mordred
Die hard Texas Rangers fan since '87.
Old 10-15-02, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Its easy for me. I just root for the local teams. Well, I root for the Peninsula teams (Giants and Niners)... not the teams in the East Bay except for Cal (where I went to school) and the Warriors (the only local NBA team). I definitely do not root for the Sacramento Kings, and I don't really follow MLS or NHL, so that throws out the San Jose teams.
Old 10-15-02, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Diehards stick out the crap assocated with their teams. For example, if the Jets can ever again win a championship, I will savor it and I will feel as if I earned it for all the pain I've put up with during horrid seasons. If someone who was a cowboy fan starts rooting for them it will bug me a little.
Old 10-15-02, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a different, more harsh, definition of a bandwagon fan. You don't have to hop from team to team to be a bandwagon fan in my book. If you grow up in a certain area and pick and chose favorite teams from outside that area because they are winning you are a bandwagon fan. If you hop on the bandwagon just once in your life, even if you stay with that team, you will always be a bandwagon fan.

There are tons of people who are Bulls/Cowboys/Yankee fans and they will be for the rest of their lives. But they are still pieces of crap. You have no right to hop on teams' bandwagons outside of your area.

If you grew up in Texas you have no right to be a Duke or UNC fan in basketball or Notre Dame, Miami, FSU, etc in FB (these losers rarely ever pick the same college for both sports). If you grow up in Atlanta and aren't a Hawks/Falcons/Braves fan you suck.
Old 10-15-02, 10:02 PM
Premium Member

Originally posted by Trelach24
I have a different, more harsh, definition of a bandwagon fan. You don't have to hop from team to team to be a bandwagon fan in my book. If you grow up in a certain area and pick and chose favorite teams from outside that area because they are winning you are a bandwagon fan. If you hop on the bandwagon just once in your life, even if you stay with that team, you will always be a bandwagon fan.

There are tons of people who are Bulls/Cowboys/Yankee fans and they will be for the rest of their lives. But they are still pieces of crap. You have no right to hop on teams' bandwagons outside of your area.

If you grew up in Texas you have no right to be a Duke or UNC fan in basketball or Notre Dame, Miami, FSU, etc in FB (these losers rarely ever pick the same college for both sports). If you grow up in Atlanta and aren't a Hawks/Falcons/Braves fan you suck.
Wow! I totally disagree with that! So if you, Trelach24, grew up in Cincinnati, you would be happy to be a Bengals fan???

I don't see why you have to root for the "local" team.

We can agree to disagree on this one... I feel that once you latch on to a team in your youth (cuz you don't know any better) and stick with the team, you are NOT a bandwagon, location doesn't matter.
Old 10-15-02, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by The Cow
Wow! I totally disagree with that! So if you, Trelach24, grew up in Cincinnati, you would be happy to be a Bengals fan???

I don't see why you have to root for the "local" team.

We can agree to disagree on this one... I feel that once you latch on to a team in your youth (cuz you don't know any better) and stick with the team, you are NOT a bandwagon, location doesn't matter.
I think there's something non-bandwagonish about rooting for the teams that represent the city you live in.

Also, you don't have to be happy with your team to be a fan.... I'd root for the Bengals if I was from Cincy.... but at the same time, I'd be calling for a change in coaching, personnel, management, whatever... but they still represent the city I'm from, so I'd still root for them to succeed.

edit: BTW, I root for the Golden State Warriors, because I'm waiting for that one day... that ONE DAY that they will have a championship team again.... still waiting...

Oh yeah, and I agree with Trelach24's assessment of bandwagon fans.

Last edited by mnguye10; 10-15-02 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-15-02, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love riding the ol' bandwagon. It reminds me of playing Oregon Trail.

One of your Rams is injured.
Old 10-16-02, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by The Cow
So if you, Trelach24, grew up in Cincinnati, you would be happy to be a Bengals fan???
Of course I wouldn't be happy to be a Bengals fan....but I would be one

And it would be so sweet when Mike Brown died/sold and the Bengals became a contender. I can kind of already see what it would be like since I've been a die hard Bullets/Wizards fan since the mid 80s. No team in sports has been worse over that time period. At least the Bengals have 2 SB appearances and the Clippers are finally exciting. We have Jordan and we still can't make the playoffs.

And being a Bullets/Wizards fan for so long it will be so damn sweet when we finally win it all in my lifetime. No offense to Lakers fans but I'm sure they are plenty happy when they win championships but it can be nothing like when your crappy for life team finally wins it all.

That's what bandwagon fans will never get to experience. Of course when people pick a bandwagon they're going to pick a winner. They'll always have that sense of entitlement with their team and will never fully appreciate what it's like to suffer through the lean years and think that you may never see the top.

Last edited by Trelach24; 10-16-02 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-16-02, 01:08 AM
Banned

I'm a Giants and 49 ers fair-weather fan.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.