Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

WWE in major trouble with No Mercy PPV

Old 10-14-02, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

WWE in major trouble with No Mercy PPV

According to www.1wrestling.com, only 4,000 seats for the 14,000 potential at the No Mercy PPV have been sold. Hope Vince realizes the problem with the WWE and solves it soon.
Allegedly a huge meeting is scheduled(backstage only) before tonight's Raw with Viince and the WWE wrestlers. Word is he will blame them and their lackluster performances for the drop in ratings. It obviously isn't the writing since that is golden.
Old 10-14-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a shock, Vince put the blame off on people you don't deserve it.
Old 10-14-02, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just a sure sign that either SCSA will be back soon or Goldberg will get whatever he wants.
Old 10-14-02, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The WWE really needs to cut back on pay per views. The product is oversaturated.

On big show a week, 4 PPV a year.
Old 10-14-02, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

agreed. my friends and i all gather for ~ 3 or 4 PPVs a year. It's pointless to order them every month. That's also pretty surprising that they can't fill a 14,000 person stadium.

As for blaming the personal, did Vince happen to catch the TLC match last week???? That was the best damn match I've seen all year, only to go out on a bad note w/ whatever the writers are trying to do with the whole Kane killed somone.

The answer is to get better writers and have more interesting matches, which is what they did last week. Also, cut down on PPV and NOT to have goldberg.
Old 10-14-02, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When they went PPV per month, I knew eventually it will get to the point where no ones give a damn. I'm suprise it took so long.

I still think buying WCW is a big mistake. No competition.
Old 10-14-02, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by KnightLerxst
The WWE really needs to cut back on pay per views. The product is oversaturated.

What they should do is split up the PPVs...A Raw PPV one month and a Smackdown PPV the next. This would give them 8 weeks to develop stories for each "brand" and it would make the brands feel like separate promotions, IMO.
Old 10-14-02, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WCW would have folded either way. Vince only bought himself the video library of WCW and many of the contracts of the younger stars.

Yet, he is suffering because of the lack of competition.
Old 10-14-02, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dancinns
What they should do is split up the PPVs...A Raw PPV one month and a Smackdown PPV the next. This would give them 8 weeks to develop stories for each "brand" and it would make the brands feel like separate promotions, IMO.
AH! One of the reasons I stopped watching with any regularity is because of the "split". I know others did as well, so starting "split" PPV's would garner even more of a dropoff than has already happened. Even Vince stated in a stock holders meeting that the "split" was a bad thing to do.

I doubt that I would order a PPV until the "split" is over (not that I've ordered many in the past, but still...) since I wouldn't know why any of the SD rivals were fighting (I stopped watching SD completely a while back. I do miss Kurt Angle and like Rey Mysterio, but I can't watch 2 hours just hoping they will go at it). I really think they should just get a "clean start" soon. It may confuse a couple people as to why the split ended or why the rivalries may have changed, but in it's current state, they don't really have much to lose.

They should also do something about the tag teams. They don't really even have them any more. Almost every tag match has random people thrown together for a week or two, then it ends. Why in the sam hill they split up the Dudley's and Hardeyz and E&C is just beyond me. Maybe they wanted to try out how they would do as singles, but I think only half of each team has liked the results...

One of the "angles" I was actually hoping they would follow through with was Jeff Hardey getting the championship. Everyone knows that he really couldn't hold his own against the heavies in a regular match, but since he is "extreme", each defense would be a cage or ladder or hardcore or whatever match (this could also easily work with RVD ). Again, it couldn't be worse than what they're doing right now.
Old 10-14-02, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

never understood having a PPV every month... i mean there are only 4 PPVs each year to mark for... Wrestlemania, Summer Slam, KOTR, Royal Rumble.
Old 10-14-02, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by KnightLerxst

This way they can actually develop a storyline and fueds before a PPV. Because right now they're pretty much just throwing sh*t together.