Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

NFL unsportsmanlike & taunting penalties

Old 10-14-02, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

NFL unsportsmanlike & taunting penalties

After watching a few games yesterday, I have come to realize that the NFL's taunting and unsportsmanlike penalties are a joke. Main point: I have no problem with calling these penalties, as long as they are called consistently. These calls are too subjective and the NFL needs to train the refs better so that this is called consistently. Picking and choosing occasional infractions to call is a stupid and unfair.

First, Houston may have lost a game because of a questionable taunting penalty that let Buffalo continue a drive. Never mind that similar behavior had happened earlier in the game.

Second, after Miami kicked a FG with 6 seconds left, the entire team ran onto the field, many with their helmets off. Why was this not called?

There are 2 types of things that I see often in NFL games. First are defensive beating their chests and posing after making sacks or big plays. The other is WR's getting on one knee and making an arrow with their arm after they make a first down. How can these not be considered taunting as they are much more blatant and obvious than many of the penalties that are called.

I was hacked when the refs cost Cleveland a game earlier in the year after the player took his helmet off. I do not have a problem with the rule if it is going to be called every time, but it isn't and for a subjective call to cost a team a game is wrong.

Once again, I'm all for calling these types of penalties as long as it is consistent. But it usually isn't and is getting worse every year.

Thoughts?
Old 10-14-02, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There were several at the Redskins game as well yesterday.

Overall I thought the officials did a very, very poor job at the Redskins game.
Old 10-14-02, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

AAAAAAAAAAHHH!!! That phantom face mask and the taunting penalty had me wanting to toss my $6 beer at the refs. If my seats weren't so high up I might have done it

I still don't understand the taunting penalty(as a whole). I pretty darn sure that taunting occurs before, during and after every play.

Then the running into the kicker penalty we (Texans) got. He was going for the block, so what was he supposed to do? Stop himself in mid-air anddrop top the ground before brushing the kickers ankle?

There have been many games across the league this year that have been decided by refs, not the teams. It seems they are going overboard (moreso this year than any other in recent memory) with some of their calls.

Are they really worrined about someone's feelings getting hurt by a taunt (for 15' yards no less)? Football is an emotional game. As long as it's not a flagrant foul I say let'em play.

Off topic but still football related, I still don't understand people leaving the game in the fourth quarter with the outcome still up in the air. We had people leaving when it was tied at 24! cdollaz, did this happen in your section? (I'm in 518)
Old 10-14-02, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SmackDaddy
AAAAAAAAAAHHH!!! That phantom face mask and the taunting penalty had me wanting to toss my $6 beer at the refs. If my seats weren't so high up I might have done it

I still don't understand the taunting penalty(as a whole). I pretty darn sure that taunting occurs before, during and after every play.

Then the running into the kicker penalty we (Texans) got. He was going for the block, so what was he supposed to do? Stop himself in mid-air anddrop top the ground before brushing the kickers ankle?

There have been many games across the league this year that have been decided by refs, not the teams. It seems they are going overboard (moreso this year than any other in recent memory) with some of their calls.

Are they really worrined about someone's feelings getting hurt by a taunt (for 15' yards no less)? Football is an emotional game. As long as it's not a flagrant foul I say let'em play.

Off topic but still football related, I still don't understand people leaving the game in the fourth quarter with the outcome still up in the air. We had people leaving when it was tied at 24! cdollaz, did this happen in your section? (I'm in 518)

Weren't as many leaving in my section (626), but I saw all the people leaving in the expensive seats down low. Apparantly our section is where alot of the visitor alotment of tickets is, as every game there are tons of visiting team fans a few rows behind us. It was great during the Dallas game, they looked like they were going to cry.
Old 10-14-02, 11:11 AM
Banned

Consistencies and NFL officiating should never be in the same sentence. As I recalled the Boys and the Rams game a few weeks back when Bly intercepted Carter's pass near the 10 yard to end the Boys' threat. Bly took of his helmet after the interception and was not call for unsportsmanlike conduct. The officials were standing right there and let him walk. Who can blame them. even with instant reply, they still can't make the right call.
Old 10-14-02, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Originally posted by Brian Shannon

I couldn't agree more. WTF??? Bruce getting a 15 yard penalty for a facemask when he was being held? All in all, he had two penalties??? Ridiculous.

It's bad when there are more flags thrown than punts kicked in a game. They made that game look even uglier than it was.
Old 10-14-02, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Michael Wiley got a 15 yard call after a hugh run against the Panthers. It seemed as if Wiley barely had 2- 5 seconds to say whatever he said, but aparently it was enough to get his the flag.

Yet as the game went on there were dozen more instances where you know much worse or equally to it was being said on that field.
Old 10-14-02, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the missed penalties are much worse than the ones actually called. Players will always violate the rules, it's just a matter of which ones get caught. In the end, it's the teams that directly determine wins and losses, not the referees. Unless it's Phil Luckett. November 10th - Titans vs. Texans. The new team smell wears off.
Old 10-14-02, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Come on, don't take the game toooooo seriously.
Old 10-14-02, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mysterX
Consistencies and NFL officiating should never be in the same sentence. As I recalled the Boys and the Rams game a few weeks back when Bly intercepted Carter's pass near the 10 yard to end the Boys' threat. Bly took of his helmet after the interception and was not call for unsportsmanlike conduct. The officials were standing right there and let him walk. Who can blame them. even with instant reply, they still can't make the right call.
That's because Dre Bly was already on the sideline when he took off his helmet...he made the interception near the sideline and then he took a few steps to the sideline and took his helmet off.

Old 10-15-02, 12:15 AM
Banned

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
That's because Dre Bly was already on the sideline when he took off his helmet...he made the interception near the sideline and then he took a few steps to the sideline and took his helmet off.

I know he's on the sideline. That's the same as saying (insert player name) took his helmet off after scoring a touchdown by walking a few steps out the sideline to celebrate just to avoid a penalty. It's still a form unsportsmanlike conduct, more like taunting. Both commentators agreed that Bly sholud be flag for that conduct.
Old 10-15-02, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know he's on the sideline. That's the same as saying (insert player name) took his helmet off after scoring a touchdown by walking a few steps out the sideline to celebrate just to avoid a penalty. It's still a form unsportsmanlike conduct, more like taunting. Both commentators agreed that Bly sholud be flag for that conduct.
I have to disagree with you. If you can't take your helmet off when you're on the sideline, where are you going to take it off??

It didn't seem like taunting to me; he merely took off his helmet because he was on the sideline.

Old 10-15-02, 12:30 AM
Banned

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
I have to disagree with you. If you can't take your helmet off when you're on the sideline, where are you going to take it off??

It didn't seem like taunting to me; he merely took off his helmet because he was on the sideline.

He took it off right after the interception falling out the sideline. So if a player scores a catching touchdown and his momentum forces him out the sideline afterward can he take his helmet off? He's not in the field of play anymore right? So why can't he?
Old 10-15-02, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He took it off right after the interception falling out the sideline. So if a player scores a catching touchdown and his momentum forces him out the sideline afterward can he take his helmet off? He's not in the field of play anymore right? So why can't he?
But Bly's momentum didn't take him out of the sideline did it? (I can't remember for sure). I'm pretty sure he was near the sideline and then walked off the field to take off his helmet.

Old 10-15-02, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That taunting call the Skins got was unbelievable.
Old 10-15-02, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i think everyone should be flagged and fined for any taunting/unsportsmanlike conduct. i think it is absolutely ridiculous how players act nowadays when they make a play. hey look i held this guy to only a 2 yard gain on first down, i am the man. it is a disgrace. they are only playing a game and entertaining people, i dont see why they act like they are accomplishing some great task with these silly dances. i am not even that old (24) in terms of seeing how it used to be. sports has lost its sportsmanship. i was just dumbfounded when i saw some of those kids in the little league world series taunting fellow 12 year olds. it is just sad. i have no problems with congratulations afterwards, but it is more of a spectacle than anything else. i mean some players act like the won the championship they way they act after some small play. i wonder if the players work on their "making a play dance" more than they do on their games. what gets me more is the excuse that it is the emotion of the game. u dont need emotion to be a great player or play well. barry sanders will always stand out is the athlete i remember who exemplified what an athlete should do, toss the ball to the ref after scoring a td, congratulate the o-line and everyone else for doing their job, and respectfully walk over to the sideline. if they are going to get paid professional dollars they ought to at least act professionally.

Last edited by nchhabra; 10-15-02 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-16-02, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by nchhabra
i think everyone should be flagged and fined for any taunting/unsportsmanlike conduct. i think it is absolutely ridiculous how players act nowadays when they make a play. hey look i held this guy to only a 2 yard gain on first down, i am the man. it is a disgrace. they are only playing a game and entertaining people, i dont see why they act like they are accomplishing some great task with these silly dances. i am not even that old (24) in terms of seeing how it used to be. sports has lost its sportsmanship. i was just dumbfounded when i saw some of those kids in the little league world series taunting fellow 12 year olds. it is just sad. i have no problems with congratulations afterwards, but it is more of a spectacle than anything else. i mean some players act like the won the championship they way they act after some small play. i wonder if the players work on their "making a play dance" more than they do on their games. what gets me more is the excuse that it is the emotion of the game. u dont need emotion to be a great player or play well. barry sanders will always stand out is the athlete i remember who exemplified what an athlete should do, toss the ball to the ref after scoring a td, congratulate the o-line and everyone else for doing their job, and respectfully walk over to the sideline. if they are going to get paid professional dollars they ought to at least act professionally.
I think you made the point right there. They are entertainers. So who cares what they do after they make a good play? Why do we take athletes so seriously? Yes, they gloat when they make a good play. They've worked pretty hard to get where they are, and now they are proving why they are still here. As long as they are excited and play as hard as they can, let them. This does not go for people like Moss who try 1/2 the time, then gloat about the one catch they should have made anyway. If you make a good play, go on and celebrate, cause you know I'll be cheering my head off at home on my butt.

Taunting should be called when players touch an opposing player with either their hands or the football (throwing the football at them after they score a TD). The only reason I think this should be set apart from the cheering, is because it disrespects the other players who are out there playing just as hard. On MNF, after Garcia was sacked, the guy who did it, slapped the ball out of Garcia's hand. THAT should be taunting (of course it wasn't called).
Old 10-16-02, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So who cares what they do after they make a good play?
Unfortunately it is done all too frequently and usually after a strictly mediocre play.
Old 10-16-02, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Cle penalty earlier in the year was because he took off his helmet DURING the play and threw it...In the Miami incident...the play was over.
Old 10-16-02, 01:31 PM

Unfortunately it is done all too frequently and usually after a strictly mediocre play.
This is where I don't like it that much. But if it gets the crowd rowdy, the more power to them. I couldn't imagine football being played by a bunch of gentlemen. It would not have the same excitement and draw as the NFL of today.