Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

how long can rice play?

Old 10-12-02, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk God

how long can rice play?

ok.. we all know jerry rice is the greatest wide reciever ever

and if you dont agree.. Im really not looking for that debate

but dude is 40 now.. been in the league 18 years? and still looking good! we all know about his famous workout that seems to be the toughest workout of anyone in sports? but damn, what kindof shape is this man really in.. and at what point is he going to be ready to live his life outside of football. well, maybe not outside of football.. because I can see him being a commentator after he finally retires.

think there are specific records he is staying for? wants to go out on top? will he leave if the raiders win it all?
Old 10-12-02, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

it's the love of the game, just like with jordan. if he ever retires, it'll be because one of his legs fall off but even then, i'm sure he'd still try and be a WR in a wheelchair.
Old 10-12-02, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He'll play until a leg falls off AND he proves undeniably that the 49ers are idiots for letting him go. Hopefully the latter will happen first (if it hasn't already).

das
Old 10-12-02, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He'll play as long as he damn well wants!

Fool is going off and he's gonna make damn well sure nobody ever comes within butt sniffing distance of any of his records.

I think he's got about 2 good years left in him after this one. I don't know if the Raiders will keep him after this year, though, since they're gonna have to revamp the team due to age and salary cap concerns.

If the Raiders release/cut/trade/whatever him, I don't know if he'll want to play. I doubt he'd want to play for a team that's not in contention...and he's lived in the Bay Area so long, I don't know if he would want to uproot his family just for a couple more years of football, especially when he has nothing more to prove and he's not in desperate need of money.

Old 10-12-02, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think he's got at least 3 more years left in him. He just doesn't want to stop...and also he is 40 and in AMAZING shape...he's not going anywhere!
Old 10-13-02, 12:56 AM
Banned

Sigh.... adding again...the 69ers were idiots letting him go. I was so ticked off when that news spread. I just couldn't bear to watch his last game as 49ers post game speech.
On the other hand, he's in Oakland.
Old 10-13-02, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I already considered him one of top wide receiver on my list- #1 actually.
Old 10-13-02, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

everyone attacked the raiders for being so old and brittle and they cant win because of this. i'm so glad they've been able to shut those people up. jerry rice, tim brown, and rich gannon all have a few years left in the league
Old 10-13-02, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He's not playing for records at all,he's playing now because he's on a team thats winning and winning alot throwing him the ball,he wants that ring out side of San Fran,im all ready calling him the Bay Area kid because he still plays like one,this man is in the game to win that ring and thats it.
Old 10-14-02, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Many years back they did a special on him and on that segment was his training regime. He was doing stuff most guys in their late teens and twenties couldn't do. He is a phenom athlete who is only missing the Deion Sanders swagger.
Old 10-14-02, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's his workout regimen?
Old 10-14-02, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
He is a phenom athlete who is only missing the Deion Sanders swagger.
To his enormous credit.
Old 10-14-02, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Doesn't he own all the records anyways?

He's playing because he's physically able to and his desire is still as strong as it's always been.

I'm wondering though, if he'll hang it up if the Raiders win it all this year. Of course, after Sunday's performance, he might have to wait awhile.
Old 10-14-02, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by shizawn
Doesn't he own all the records anyways?
well.. he did just set the all time yards from scrimmage record, this season..

emmitt isnt far behind on that one though
Old 10-14-02, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
He'll play until a leg falls off AND he proves undeniably that the 49ers are idiots for letting him go. Hopefully the latter will happen first (if it hasn't already).

das
As much as I hated letting him go, the Niners had no choice thanks to Dwight Clark and Carmen Policy. Its not that they gave up on him or didn't want him, the Niners in no way could afford him... And they would be much, much worse right now if they did pay him to stay. Anyone that thinks the niners just let him go don't really know the whole deal.

My bet says he retires at 42... still among the upper half of receivers, but not up to his standards.

Last edited by grrrah; 10-14-02 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-14-02, 06:05 PM
Retired

I'm guessing he plays 2 more years barring injury.

He signed a 4 year contract with the Raiders, and said he only planned on playing 2 years. However, give the success he's had I'm betting he'll play out the contract and then retire. Plus, there's a blurb on the raider's clubhouse page on ESPN.com that sources close to him saying he'll probably pay in 2003.
Old 10-14-02, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

you can tell i'm a basketball fan when i see the thread title and i'm thinking.. "Who cares about Glenn Rice?"
Old 10-15-02, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

5 years 3 months 4 days !!!!
Old 10-15-02, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've read in interviews that he'll go until he feels like it! But from the Raiders standpoint, he will be around for likely 2 years.

He wants another ring
Old 10-15-02, 03:11 PM

Rice is really awesome and I say that he could easily go for a couple more years unless he gets injured. Rickey Henderson is the only other anthlete that comes to mind that is in Rice's league of age/physical shape.
Old 10-15-02, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just goes to show what hardwork will do for your life.

What is the name of the DB that played for Washington until he was 42 or 43? He was still running fast and had skills when he retired.

I see him retiring when he is 42.
Old 10-15-02, 06:17 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definitely love of the game. He'll go for another year with the Raiders, reconcile with the 49ers, re-sign with them at the beginning of the next season and then retire as a San Francisco 49er.

Then they'll waive the 5yr waiting period and immediately induct him into the Football Hall of Fame.

-BT
Old 10-15-02, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
Just goes to show what hardwork will do for your life.

What is the name of the DB that played for Washington until he was 42 or 43? He was still running fast and had skills when he retired.

I see him retiring when he is 42.

you talking about Darrell Green? he's actually still playing this season at 42 and is expected to retire after this year.