High School Football - De La Salle vs Long Beach Poly

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-12-02, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/digest.htm
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps...11-matchup.htm

Dunno if anyone even cares about this one... but if you've ever followed high school football, this is a HUGE game.

For you people who don't know, De La Salle (Concord, CA) has a record 129 game win streak on the line. They've been THE best high school football team in the nation for over a decade now.

Long Beach Poly is #2 in the nation. Last year, with like a dozen Division I recruits, Long Beach Poly was touted as the team with the best chance at breaking De La Salle's streak. They lost 29-15 in Southern California. This year, they're playing in Northern California, in Cal's Memorial Stadium, so they can accomodate a large enough crowd.

De La Salle beat powerhouse St. Louis High School of Honolulu a few weeks back before a crowd of over 27,000 fans.

Last edited by mnguye10; 10-12-02 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-12-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

unfortunately... no matter how dominant St. Louis has been, past or present.. no teams from Hawaii will ever come close to the caliber of athletes on the mainland.
Old 10-12-02, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

13-0 DLS in the second
Old 10-12-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched the De La Salle/St. Louis game on Fox Sports Net last month when it was on. The same trip, Long Beach Poly played Kahuku in the first part of the double header. I didn't get to watch the LBP game, but I heard they pretty much dismantled Kahuku.

Kahuku is usually the best public school team in Hawaii year in year out because they have huge Samoans from the North Shore (Kahuku is located on the North Shore of Oahu). I remember when I was in high school (10 years ago) that Kahuku's RB was about 6'3", 250 lbs. I know that because I wrestled and so did he. Thankfully I wrestled in the 119 lb. category and he was in the unlimited (275 lb) weight class. By the time he graduated, he held the national scholastic record for most pins in a career with 200-something. He was a monster. Since Hawaii is predominantly made up of Asians, you can imagine the size difference. For example, one of my good friends, a Japanese guy, was the state champ in the 145 lb. weight class in wrestling and he was a starting cornerback for our football team. Can you imagine being 145 lbs. and trying to tackle a 250 lb. running back who had broken through the line? Holy crap, I think I'd crap my pants.

St. Louis is usually the best overall school (public schools play in different leagues than private schools...they usually only get to play each other in the state tourney). I used to hate them because they were also the best wrestling team...when I was in high school they had won 8 state championships in a row. I think that continued for another couple years before they finally lost to Kamehameha (a private school which requires you to be of Hawaiian ancestry to attend). St. Louis' football team had won even more consecutive state championships in football. I can't remember exactly, but I think they won like a dozen in a row.

I disagree with devilshalo. St. Louis is clearly not the same type of team that it was in the past. A lot of that is due to the coaching change at St. Louis. Cal Lee is a coaching legend in the state of Hawaii and he is now St. Louis' Athletic Director....there's a new coach in place; I believe this is his first year. That said, St. Louis is not doing very good this year and they aren't even first place in the ILH (their division), much less the best team in Hawaii right now. However, DLS and St. Louis was a great matchup because St. Louis has been the best football team in Hawaii for years and has been consistently ranked in the high school top 25 over the years as well. DLS has been the best team nationally for a number of years and have that frickin' unbelievable winning streak.

One of the questions that the sportscasters asked the DLS head coach is why they didn't play St. Louis years ago when St. Louis was a lot better than they are now. The DLS head coach said they would have, but that nobody was willing to pay for them to travel to Hawaii. I think prior St. Louis teams would be a way better match for DLS. Too bad, I would have loved to see Jason Gesser, a St. Louis grad and current Washington St. QB; Timmy Chang, Hawaii's starting QB; or a couple other St. Louis teams with good QBs, go up against DLS back in the day.

Anyway, as for the game itself, De La Salle was way more athletic than St. Louis. I think St. Louis' lines were a little bigger than De La Salle's, but De La Salle was clearly a better team. St. Louis was big. De La Salle was athletic. St. Louis' players couldn't match the speed and athleticism of De La Salle and couldn't tackle for crap. DLS was far superior. Still, it would have been nice to see this matchup anywhere from 5-10 years ago.

Old 10-13-02, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

De La Salle wins 28-7, extending its streak to 130 games.

http://usatoday.com/sports/preps/foo...ach-poly_x.htm
Old 10-13-02, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For those in the Bay Area FSBA will be showing the game today at 1:30pm.