Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Rooney says "No more female NFL reporters"

Old 10-10-02, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rooney says "No more female NFL reporters"

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/1010/1443917.html

Women sportscasters bristle at commentator's remarks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Have you ever noticed those sideline reporters at NFL games? Andy Rooney has, and he's as cranky about them as he is everything else.

The curmudgeonly "60 Minutes" commentator, interviewed on MSG Network's "Boomer Esiason Show" last week, drew the ire of women sportscasters when he said, "The only thing that really bugs me about television's coverage is those damn women they have down on the sidelines who don't know what the hell they're talking about.

"I mean, I'm not a sexist person, but a woman has no business being down there trying to make some comment about a football game."

Monday Night Football sideline reporter Melissa Stark declined to comment and CBS would not make its prominent female sportscasters available for interviews. MSG also declined comment and Esiason, who works for both CBS and MSG, was not available.

Rooney, 83, has drawn protests in the past for his comments on homosexuals, evangelists, Native Americans, Greek-Americans and blacks. CBS suspended him in 1990 for a comment attributed to him in The Advocate, a gay magazine, in which he was quoted as saying, "Blacks have watered down their genes because the less intelligent ones are the ones who have the most children. They drop out of school, do drugs and get pregnant." Rooney denied ever making the comment and the reporter did not tape the interview.

When asked about the remark this week, Rooney did not back down, telling Westchester County (N.Y.) newspaper the Journal News that he doesn't think much of male sideline reporters, either.

"He really hasn't watched because I've known and loved football since I was 8," said ESPN's Suzy Kolber, who hosts Edge NFL Match-Up. "I host the most hard-core X's-and-O's show. I clearly know football and I deserve to be down there. He has a right to say what he wants, but from my standpoint, it's not a reflection of me. I clearly know what I'm talking about."

According to the report, few actually saw Rooney's segment on the 30-minute show, which aired Friday at 11 p.m. ET and re-aired Sunday morning. Rooney's comments came at the end of a lengthy interview that touched on several sports subjects, though most of it was about football. Rooney is a longtime Giants season-ticket holder.

Kolber was not the only female sportscaster to bristle at Rooney's comments.

"The first thing that came into my mind is, does anybody take Andy Rooney seriously anyway?" ESPN SportsCenter anchor Linda Cohn said. "He doesn't take himself seriously half the time anyway.

"The second thing is, why is he stereotyping all women? God knows if he watches SportsCenter and has ever seen me. You have to judge each person separately. The third thing is, when was the last time he followed any of these sideline reporters around doing their job?"

"(He's) a man who's almost 80 years old and of another generation," said Suzyn Waldman, a Yankees broadcaster for two New York networks and the first voice heard when WFAN Radio went on the air in 1987. "When a man of that generation says women shouldn't be someplace, you can't take it seriously as long as it doesn't stop anyone from getting a job. He's got a right to his opinion but he should know better."

Still, Kim Gandy, president of the National Organization for Women, said that Rooney's age and background are not excuses.

"Making a generalization like women aren't capable about talking about sports is very much like saying old, white men are all sexist you can always find an example like Andy Rooney, but it doesn't prove the generalization," Gandy told the Journal News . "Andy Rooney, like my 9-year-old says, is so last month. So a statement he makes isn't really worth a lot of our time."

Rooney's comments also got back to Martha Burk, chairwoman of the National Council of Women's Organizations. Burk has spearheaded a fight to have Augusta National Golf Club admit its first female member.

"Mr. Rooney has proven by his remarks he is indeed sexist," Burk told the Journal News. "It's beneath a major television personality to denigrate anybody who is trying to do their job and is doing it well. It surprises me that any public figure would have the insensitivity and/or bigoted position to come out publicly that way. Most folks who get in a position like Mr. Rooney is in -- even if they feel that way privately -- know it's not OK to say it publicly."

Don Hewitt, executive producer of "60 Minutes," told the paper he was unaware of Rooney's comments and wasn't interested in hearing them.

"I'm interested in what Andy says on this broadcast, which I edit. I'm not his father or his mother," he said.

According to the Journal News, Rooney, who has weathered every other storm, did not seem concerned that his latest remarks would cause a big flap.

"What are they going to do, fire me from the Boomer Esiason show? Pay me less money?" he said.

What is wrong with Andy Rooney? And Suzy Kolber is right, she does know a darn lot about football. Call me crazy but I actually tend to think that the ones that are out there like Melissa Stark, Bonnie Bernstein actually do know what they're talking about.
Old 10-10-02, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, if this gets rid of that chick who does the sports update during The Best Damn Sport Show, then I'm all for it. Melissa Stark, however, is da bomb.
Old 10-10-02, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
Well, if this gets rid of that chick who does the sports update during The Best Damn Sport Show, then I'm all for it. Melissa Stark, however, is da bomb.

Lisa Guerrero is so hot. Melissa Stark's got nothing on her. Now when Melissa worked locally in DC 6 or 7 years ago, she was something - longer hair, short skirts. Very nice.

I think we all know that they are there for eye candy anyway.
Old 10-10-02, 04:47 PM
Mod Emeritus

Hey, I agree with him on one level. It's immaterial what the women sideline commentators know, because they aren't put there for what they know... they are put there because they are attractive females. Seriously, if it were about what they know, what are the odds that there aren't guys or ugly women who know more? I'd bet that they are pretty darn good. So, these women need to accept that they are there as eye candy and get on with life.
Old 10-10-02, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sideline reporters are the biggest waste of time.
Old 10-10-02, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Red Dog
Lisa Guerrero is so hot.
Ummm... yeah, but it's not good to have to turn the sound down during that part of the show...
Old 10-10-02, 04:55 PM
Banned

Originally posted by KitchenSink
Sideline reporters are the biggest waste of time.
I always wondering what's their purpose anyway? Are the viewers not getting enough info on the game itself?
Old 10-10-02, 04:58 PM
Banned

Lisa
Old 10-10-02, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
Ummm... yeah, but it's not good to have to turn the sound down during that part of the show...

You could put a bag on her head and I still would rather listen to her than most of the SportsCenter morons, especially Boo-Yah man.
Old 10-10-02, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk God

More Lisa G

Old 10-10-02, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Try to stay on topic! We are talking about sideline reporters!!!

Melissa Stark:

Old 10-10-02, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Melissa Stark is the #1 reason that football should be moved to the summer months, where Monday Night games would still be around 85 degree temperatures and she'd be forced to wear sundresses instead of those damn unrevealing sweaters she wears now. sundresses
Old 10-10-02, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bonnie Bernstein... for reference purposes...

Old 10-10-02, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-10-02, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly, why does it matter what sex they are if they know the game. It's not like all of the male announcers they choose are former players or something, yet Rooney has no problem with them, right? And Melissa Stark was sooooo much better as a sideline reporter than Eric Dickerson was. Although, as a general rule, I think sideline reporters are useless except for the fact that they sometimes collect useful info about what's going on with injuries, substitutions, etc.
Old 10-10-02, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the only one that is any good is Melissa...the others (esp. the one on Sunday night football) don't have a ton of football smarts...Melissa I think does.
Old 10-10-02, 07:46 PM
Stealth Moderator

Melissa

I don't know about others b/c I haven't seen them, but Melissa frequently gives useful info from the teams on what's going on with the players. She provides not just injury & substitution reports, but also many human interest stories.

Either that, or I'm just so glad to see her in the sidelines that everything she says seems interesting. Either way
Old 10-10-02, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Dr. Dean
the only one that is any good is Melissa...the others (esp. the one on Sunday night football) don't have a ton of football smarts...Melissa I think does.

Yeah, Kolber only gives detailed analysis, asks in-depth questions that go past "are you happy you won?" and hosts one of the best NFL programs on television, NFL Matchup.

As for Stark, I liked her better before she moved to Monday Night Football. I always found her analysis to be pretty strong, but on MNF it's fairly bland.

das
Old 10-11-02, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree with Rooney - female sideline reporters should be banished. I'm all for hot chicks, but if I wanted to see hot chicks on Saturday/Sunday, I'd flip to CMT during a commercial.
Old 10-11-02, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by LurkerDan
And Melissa Stark was sooooo much better as a sideline reporter than Eric Dickerson was
That's not saying much. A gatorade bucket would be a better sideline reporter than Dickerson. Melissa is fine but I never understood why they got rid of Lynn Swann on MNF.
Old 10-11-02, 12:27 PM

1) The sideline reporter isn't SUPPOSED to analyze anything. That's what the ANALYST does. What the sideline reporter does is find out injury updates and get quotes and interviews.

2) Therefore, I would much rather have a woman who has a background in journalism who knows how to do that kind of work than some ex-jock who can spot a 3-4 defense three seconds faster, but can't ask a follow-up question to save himself.

RS
Old 10-22-02, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Update:

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D7MQ5EH00.html

Rooney Laments Reporters Remark

Email this Story

Oct 21, 3:36 PM (ET)

(AP) Journalist Andy Rooney, of CBS-TV, poses in his office in New York City in this June 19, 1998...

NEW YORK (AP) - Andy Rooney conceded he probably shouldn't have said anything in the first place about women reporting from the sidelines at NFL games.

But he stopped short of apologizing for his remarks on CBS'"60 Minutes."

Earlier this month, Rooney said in an interview on the "Boomer Esiason Show" on the MSG Network: "I'm not a sexist person, but a woman has no business being down there trying to make some comment about a football game."

The curmudgeonly commentator said Sunday the statement was "a derogatory remark I would have been better off not having made." But he didn't change his mind that women have no place on the sidelines at football games.

"I wish I hadn't included all women covering football, some are quite good," the 83-year-old said. "But most of the women are there because they're good looking, not because they know the game."

Rooney said the media and women's groups vilified him for his initial remarks.

"Anyone who says I'm sexist knows less about me than those women do about football," he said.
Old 10-22-02, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't wait till I'm old and can whatever the hell I feel like saying.