Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Texas vs. Oklahoma

Old 10-09-02, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Texas vs. Oklahoma

Saturday, October 12, 2002, Cotton Bowl, in Dallas, Texas.

See you there - that is if my nephew doesn't forget to pick me up.

GO LONGHORNS!!
Old 10-09-02, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk God

should be a damn good game..

whats the spread

*going to check myself*

texas is favored by 3

Last edited by twikoff; 10-09-02 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-09-02, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by twikoff
*going to check myself*
Pics?

I see pretty much Horns by 3, no Over/Under. - http://www.usatoday.com/sports/gamin.../index.htm#ncf

But the "Big 12 Game of the Century" was last weekend.

I hope they both lose... Or tie. errrrrr...

Actually, my life here in Austin will be easier if OU wins in a blowout.
Old 10-09-02, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk God

The only problem is that my 2 nephews are Okies, and I'll have to sit on the OU side.

Well, if you see a rather elderly man wearing an orange cap and sweater being forcibly thrown from the OU stands - it'll be me.
Old 10-09-02, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by classicman2

Well, if you see a rather elderly man wearing an orange cap and sweater being forcibly thrown from the OU stands - it'll be me.
hell yea... Ill watch the game, just to see this!
Old 10-09-02, 12:42 PM

The winner of this game win most likely go to the Fiesta Bowl to play to the winner of the Virginia Tech/Miami game on December 7.

I still don't think the Oklahoma defense has played as well as it's supposed to...but this could be their breakout game. Chris Simms needs to stay calm, and make good reads.

I say Texas wins in a close one....Texas 14, Oklahoma 10
Old 10-09-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Smangalick
The winner of this game win most likely go to the Fiesta Bowl to play to the winner of the Virginia Tech/Miami game on December 7.

I still don't think the Oklahoma defense has played as well as it's supposed to...but this could be their breakout game. Chris Simms needs to stay calm, and make good reads.

I say Texas wins in a close one....Texas 14, Oklahoma 10
dont look past the big12 championship game..
Iowa State has looked better then either of these teams, despite their loss to fsu (which they definitly should have won)
Old 10-09-02, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Iowa State's problem(s):

The play OU in Norman.

They play TU in Austin.

They play CU in Boulder.
Old 10-09-02, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Smangalick

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The winner of these Big-12 showdown type games seems to falter more often than not in the Big-12 title game (or sooner). My guess is that a Big-12 team will not be in the Fiesta Bowl. I do agree that either Miami or Va Tech will be there though.

I really like Georgia or Ohio State to get that other spot in the Fiesta. They both have their tougher matchups at home. Theoretically one loss might not be stop one of these 2 from finishing lower than 2nd either. Ohio State also has an added advantage of not having to play in conf title game.

It is also not out of the realm of possibility that the loser of Miami/Va Tech still finishes #2 in the BCS rankings. I don't think it will happen, but it could depending on how things shake out in other conferences.

Last edited by Red Dog; 10-09-02 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-09-02, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They play TU in Austin.

Even the 'sips are calling themselves tu now.
Old 10-09-02, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Red Dog

I really like Georgia or Ohio State to get that other spot in the Fiesta. They both have their tougher matchups at home. Theoretically one loss might not be stop one of these 2 from finishing lower than 2nd either.
i would agree.. i think most likely, the big 12 teams will trip each other up.. and i see uga and osu falling... I wonder if the ducks will finally get their chance to be pounded by miami this season.
Old 10-09-02, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Reality Check for Red Dog and twikoff:

If either Texas or Oklahoma goes undefeated - they will play for the National Championship, and you can take that to the bank.
Old 10-09-02, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk God

i would agree.. i think most likely, the big 12 teams will trip each other up.. and i see uga and osu falling... I wonder if the ducks will finally get their chance to be pounded by miami this season.

I thought about the Ducks but they have 2 pretty tough road games left. Plus Washington at home will be no picnic.

The question is do you believe that there will be 2 undefeated teams after Dec 7. I think there will only be 1 (Miami or Va Tech).
Old 10-09-02, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk God

If either Texas or Oklahoma goes undefeated - they will play for the National Championship, and you can take that to the bank.
well duh! of course if they go undefeated, miami will get to spank them.. thats a given

my comment was that the big 12 teams will trip each other up..
one of those two teams is losing this weekend.. for sure.
and I was saying I figure that the other team, will falter somewhere down the road, whether its the regular season or big 12 championship.
Old 10-09-02, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Thank you Master of the Obvious.

The key word is IF. Big-12 teams generally do not go undefeated (at least in the BCS era). The conference title game has done quite a number on your undefeated teams of the past.

I don't even think the winner of this game will be undefeated going into that title game. They both have already struggled against some inferior competition.
Old 10-09-02, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

The question is do you believe that there will be 2 undefeated teams after Dec 7. I think there will only be 1 (Miami or Va Tech).
i dont think va tech even comes into the equation.. in my opinion, they arent near the same level as miami.. of course, miami could slip up against fsu this weekend

i think oregon has a chance to go undefeated.. notre dame could go undefeated.. ohio state and georgia will not go undefeated.. and its possible the winner of oklahoma/texas coudl go undefeated, but I doubt it.. I could see there being 2, possibly even 3 undefeated teams.. but I doubt it.
Old 10-09-02, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk God

i dont think va tech even comes into the equation.. in my opinion, they arent near the same level as miami.. of course, miami could slip up against fsu this weekend

Personally, I think Va Tech is really the only team capable of beating Miami this year. Unfortunatley for them, the game is not in Blacksburg.
Old 10-09-02, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk God

The key game for Texas obviously is OU.

If they can beat OU, they play Iowa State at home, Texas A&M at home, and have to travel to Lincoln to play Nebraska - games that Texas should be able to win.

OU has Iowa State and Colorado at home, but they play A&M at Kyle Field where the aggies are tough.

Of course, OU's major obstacle is OSU at Stillwater. Remember, OSU beat them last year in Norman and should have beaten them year before last when OU won the National Championship.
Old 10-09-02, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk God

i think oregon has a chance to go undefeated.. notre dame could go undefeated.. ohio state and georgia will not go undefeated.. and its possible the winner of oklahoma/texas coudl go undefeated, but I doubt it.. I could see there being 2, possibly even 3 undefeated teams.. but I doubt it.

Part of me would love to see Notre Dame go undefeated just to see them get blown out by Miami in a title game. Not that I like Miami although I have to say that my hatred of Miami really has died. I really respect how Butch Davis rebuilt the program and the run that Larry Coker is having - they are certainly a fun team to watch.
Old 10-09-02, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk God

The key game for Texas obviously is OU.

If they can beat OU, they play Iowa State at home, Texas A&M at home, and have to travel to Lincoln to play Nebraska - games that Texas should be able to win.

OU has Iowa State and Colorado at home, but they play A&M at Kyle Field where the aggies are tough.

Of course, OU's major obstacle is OSU at Stillwater. Remember, OSU beat them last year in Norman and should have beaten them year before last when OU won the National Championship.

This is exactly what I was alluding to. Both will have a lot of obstacles in the way. Plus there is the conference title game and we know how that usually plays out.
Old 10-09-02, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Red Dog,

As long as you're dreaming - why don't you dream that the Terps play for the National Championship?
Old 10-09-02, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Red Dog,

As long as you're dreaming - why don't you dream that the Terps play for the National Championship?

They did play in a national championship last year. They won it if you might recall.

Texas has won just as many national championships in football as the Terps have in my lifetime, so it sure seems like you need to dream as well. By the way, what bowl game did the Horns play in last year - the Weed Eater Bowl or something like that.
Old 10-09-02, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Red Dog,

It may not be such a dream for Notre Dame to play for the national championship. I was just looking at their schedule. The only problem I really see for them is FSU.
Old 10-09-02, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Red Dog,

It may not be such a dream for Notre Dame to play for the national championship. I was just looking at their schedule. The only problem I really see for them is FSU.

I see them struggling vs Pitt this week. Going to Air Force will be no cakewalk either. The USC game is always interesting. They do seem to have that aura of destiny this year though. They are in great shape to make a BCS game. That will help their recruiting immensely and might very well propel them into a perennial top-5 team, which makes me cringe.
Old 10-09-02, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Texas has won just as many national championships in football as the Terps have in my lifetime, so it sure seems like you need to dream as well.
Yes, but how many do they have in classicman's lifetime (which I believe covers the entire history of college football)???

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.