Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Alan Trammell

Old 10-08-02, 11:38 PM

Alan Trammell

While watching Fox2 Detroit News...

Apparently Alan Trammell has been named manager of the Detroit Tigers. They are still working out contract issues. An official announcement is supposed to be announced tomorrow morning.

I can't find an online source but this is breaking news.

I'm excited!!!!! My hero and favorite all time player of the Tigers just became the manager.

If Fox2 is wrong, we can always turn this thread to Trammell getting shafted out of the HOF.
Old 10-08-02, 11:45 PM

A good move for Alan. Managing is always good, even if you're managing one of the worst teams in baseball. It's especially good if you're the first base coach for one of the worst teams in baseball. But we're sorry to see him leave. Wish I got to meet him during the autograph session for us big-time fans.

Best of luck, Alan. You'll need it.
Old 10-08-02, 11:54 PM

Trammell close to getting Tigers job

They finalize the contract tomorrow.
Old 10-09-02, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Best of luck to him, as DarkElf said he's gonna need it.
Old 10-09-02, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

[jinx]He can't possibly be worse than the bozos they've had[/jinx]
Old 10-09-02, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Alan Trammell

Originally posted by Ranger02
If Fox2 is wrong, we can always turn this thread to Trammell getting shafted out of the HOF.
You really think Trammell should be in the HOF? He seems like a nice guy and all, but I wouldn't say he's anywhere close to a competent HOF choice.

The guy had one HOF caliber season in '87. But by and large was pretty inconsistent. He wasn't a power hitter, his career .285 BA is nice but not amazing, he wasn't an outstanding or overly flashy SS, an all star only 6 times in 20 years. Never won an MVP award (though he did finish 2nd in '87) and only lead the majors in any category twice, Sacrifice Hits in '81 and '83... not exactly an important statistic. The only thing in his favor is 20 years with the Tigers.

His stats:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/t/trammal01.shtml
Old 10-09-02, 02:41 PM

Trammell wasn't a flashy SS... didn't do flips or anything, but he was an outstanding SS. He has 4 gold gloves.

In '87 he was shafted from the MVP award that he deserved. He was a 6 time All-Star is the years of Robin Yount and Cal Ripken Jr.

Trammell was also the '84 WS MVP. At the time he played, SS didn't hit as much as they did now. He was a top SS for his time.
Old 10-09-02, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Re: Alan Trammell

Originally posted by Mordred
You really think Trammell should be in the HOF? He seems like a nice guy and all, but I wouldn't say he's anywhere close to a competent HOF choice.
Nowhere close? OK, I'll take that challenge:

Career averages for 162 game season during 20+ years.

Player A:
runs: 89, hits: 172, 2B: 33, 3B: 2, HR: 23, RBI: 91, SO: 61, BB: 70, BA: .276, OBP: .340, SLUG: .447, Total Bases: 279

Player B:
Runs: 87, Hits: 167, 2B: 29, 3B: 4, HR: 13, RBI: 71, SO: 60, BB: 62, BA: .285, OBP: .352, SLUG: .415, Total bases: 243

Player A is sure-fire, first-ballot HOF Cal Ripken, and player B is Detroit's beloved Alan Trammell. While Cal certainly hit for more power, I don't see a case to be made where Cal is an absolute HOF and Alan is not.

Defense, you say?? Well sure:

Cal: Fielding %: .977, League AVG: .966, Range Factor: 4.14, League AVG: 3.70

Alan: Fielding %: .976, League AVG: .967, RF: 4.41, League AVG: 4.05

So if Alan is "nowhere close to a competent HOF choice", how is Cal getting in so easily?

Back on topic: I will love having Alan as manager, but he sure won't have much to work with. Oh well, maybe he'll bring in Morris as pitching coach, John Grubb as bench coach, Dave Bergman as 1B coach, and Tom Brookens as 3B coach. Find places for Rozema, Gibby and Chet Lemon too...
Old 10-09-02, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Ranger02
Trammell wasn't a flashy SS... didn't do flips or anything, but he was an outstanding SS. He has 4 gold gloves.

In '87 he was shafted from the MVP award that he deserved. He was a 6 time All-Star is the years of Robin Yount and Cal Ripken Jr.

Trammell was also the '84 WS MVP. At the time he played, SS didn't hit as much as they did now. He was a top SS for his time.
I know Trammell was pretty good. Trammell was an All-Star 6 Times. Cal Ripken was one 19 times. Surprisingly Yount was one only 3 times, but all while he was a SS.

Lets like at career statistics:
Trammell - Seasons: 20, Hits: 2365, HR: 185, RBI: 1003, BA: .285, OBP: .352, SLG: .415.
Ripken - Seasons: 21, Hits: 3184, HR: 431, RBI: 1695, BA: .276, OBP: .340, SLG: .447.
Yount - Seasons: 20, Hits: 3142, HR: 251, RBI: 1406, BA: .285, OBP: .342, SLG: .430

While Trammell was certainly one of the better SS of his time period, I just don't think a convincing case can be made for his inclusion to the HOF. I think Yount might even be considered borderline, but 3000 H and 2 MVPs helped him a bunch.
Old 10-09-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

when i read the thread title, I thought this was going to be the "name an old school detroit tiger thread", but I'm all disappointed now. I wanted to come in and simply type "MATT NOKES" and watch the laughs roll...
Old 10-09-02, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by Mordred
I know Trammell was pretty good. Trammell was an All-Star 6 Times. Cal Ripken was one 19 times. Surprisingly Yount was one only 3 times, but all while he was a SS.
All-Star?? Please, what a lame "category". Use numbers, not popularity to make the case:

Top 10 finishes:

Trammell: BA: 5, On-base %: 4, SLUG: 1, OPS: 1, Runs: 3, RBI: 2, Hits/2B/TB: 2

Cal: BA: 3, On-base %: 0, SLUG: 3, OPS: 3, Runs: 4, RBI: 3, Hits/2B/TB: 5

Again, I'm missing the compelling argument that shows Cal is first-ballot material, while Alan isn't even close to a competent selection.
Old 10-09-02, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bralph
All-Star?? Please, what a lame "category". Use numbers, not popularity to make the case:
Of course it is. I was originally just trying to point out that Trammell was never considered that great. And then responding to his quote with the actual numbers.

Top 10 finishes:

Trammell: BA: 5, On-base %: 4, SLUG: 1, OPS: 1, Runs: 3, RBI: 2, Hits/2B/TB: 2

Cal: BA: 3, On-base %: 0, SLUG: 3, OPS: 3, Runs: 4, RBI: 3, Hits/2B/TB: 5

Again, I'm missing the compelling argument that shows Cal is first-ballot material, while Alan isn't even close to a competent selection.
The reason why Cal is a first ballot selection is 3000 hits, 400 HRs, oh and that little streak thingy. I always thought he was overrated, and felt that the streak ended up hurting the team at the end. I also think Cal was slow to move to 3B and slow to retire.
Old 10-09-02, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
when i read the thread title, I thought this was going to be the "name an old school detroit tiger thread", but I'm all disappointed now. I wanted to come in and simply type "MATT NOKES" and watch the laughs roll...
LOL - can I get a Marty Castillo? Dave Bergman, anyone? Hello?

Seriously, while I'm excited about the Trammell hire, I fear managing this team will tarnish his legend here in D-Town when he gets fired after 3 or 4 consecutive 100-loss seasons. This team blows, and I'm not sure anyone can save it. Then again, I said similar things when Joe Dumars was brought in to run the Pistons and he's done an outstanding job as GM, so we'll see.

Anyway, I still don't see why we can't contract the Tigers and then just move the Expos here and rename them - Detroit would support a team with actual baseball talent!!

One more thing - even if you don't consider Tram true HOF material - the gap in votes between him and Ozzie Smith last vote was a crime. Watch the number of votes rise for Tramm next time, since so many of the writers believe in that "this guy is HOF material - just not first ballot HOF material" BS.

Willie Hernadez, Aurelio Lopez, Chet Lemon, Steve Kemp, Ron LeFlore........

Last edited by Daryl; 10-09-02 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-09-02, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

what a brave, brave man
Old 10-09-02, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by Daryl
LOL - can I get a Marty Castillo? Dave Bergman, anyone? Hello?
Willie Hernadez, Aurelio Lopez, Chet Lemon, Steve Kemp, Ron LeFlore........
Chris Pitaro, Torey Lovullo, Scott Aldred, Rupert Jones, Chris Brown, Billy Bean, Billy Beane

Oops, did you just want to recall the good ones? Sorry, here you go: Larry Herndon, Milt Wilcox and Dan Petry.
Old 10-10-02, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it is Guearmo Hernandez isn't it?

Or something like that!
Old 10-10-02, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

two words. DARNELL COLES.
Old 10-10-02, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Making the HOF is all about image these days for most guys. Especially shortstops. Ripken and Ozzie made it because of PR. Trammell didn't have the PR because he didn't play as many games in a row or do back flips.

He was at least as good a player as Ripken, and was better than Ozzie.