Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Penn State at Michigan Oct. 12

Old 10-08-02, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Penn State at Michigan Oct. 12

Key game in the race for the Big 10 title. Anyone going?

I have not had a chance to see Michigan this season. What do they have this season? Penn State has a potent offense with a suspect defense. They are both ranked pretty close. Any predictions?
Old 10-08-02, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Penn State at Michigan Oct. 12

Originally posted by The Governor
Any predictions?
Nittany Lions 72, Michigan 3
Old 10-08-02, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As a Penn State grad, let me be the first to say: "Go Michigan!!!"

(sorry, but I've come to hate that football program disguised as a diploma factory; though I'm sure its probably no better anywhere else).
Old 10-09-02, 01:24 AM

As a current Wolverine, I know that I'll be up at 8 am tailgating for that game. As far as Michigan goes, they really haven't been playing all too well this season. Too many close games already, and they've gutted out some victories (Washington, Utah), while losing 1 (Notre Dame).

It all rests on our offense's hands, particularly John Navarre and the O-line. If the O-line gives Navarre time to read the defense, then Penn State will have a tough time winning. Otherwise, it's really anybody's game.

All that being said...Michigan 24, Penn State 14
Old 10-09-02, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Smangalick
As a current Wolverine, I know that I'll be up at 8 am tailgating for that game. As far as Michigan goes, they really haven't been playing all too well this season. Too many close games already, and they've gutted out some victories (Washington, Utah), while losing 1 (Notre Dame).

It all rests on our offense's hands, particularly John Navarre and the O-line. If the O-line gives Navarre time to read the defense, then Penn State will have a tough time winning. Otherwise, it's really anybody's game.

All that being said...Michigan 24, Penn State 14
How is the Michigan defense? Because you know Mills, Johnson, Johnson, Johnson, Johnson, Johnson, Johnson, and Johnson are gonna be bringing it on offense. I suspect a shootout if Michigan plays well on offense.
Old 10-09-02, 12:38 PM

Any word on the Penn State injuries? Zack Mills, Larry Johnson and James Kennedy were all banged up in the Wisconsin game.
Old 10-09-02, 12:39 PM

Michigan's defense is still improving. They've had a lot of trouble tackling in the past, but did well against Illinois. Their secendary is definetly one of the best in the Big 10. People in Ann Arbor are already starting to call Marlin Jackson the second coming of Charles Woodson, and he's only a true sophomore. Charles Drake and Julius Curry are also playing well.

If Penn State wants to win, they need to get the option offense rolling, because they won't win throwing the ball against this secondary.
Old 10-09-02, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk God

normally, i would probably try to watch this one.. but looking at its timeslot.. it will probably be third on my channel flipping list

at the same time.. #2 texas vs #3 oklahoma & #9 tennessee vs #6 Georgia (oregon vs. ucla will also be on.. but thats not as high on my list)
Old 10-09-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rainman15
Any word on the Penn State injuries? Zack Mills, Larry Johnson and James Kennedy were all banged up in the Wisconsin game.
From Joe's press conference Tuesday:

Zack practiced a little bit yesterday and we told Larry to take it easy. I think both of them will be fine. I think both Larry and Zack will be fine. I really donít foresee any problems with them. Zack, obviously, continued in the game and I think Larry could have.

Why has Michigan been such a tough match-up for you in the past years? What do you think of Michigan rotating off the schedule for the next two years?

I donít like them rotating off of the schedule. I think the Penn State vs. Michigan game is a big game for our fans. I canít speak for the Michigan fans. It may not be as big for them. I think it is a good game. When they come here, we have 110, 000. You go out there and they have 110,000 and that kind of thing. I think it is something that is, maybe, exciting for the whole country. I am not crazy about that part of it.

What was your reaction when the official that made the calls against Iowa was part of the crew that was dismissed by the Big Ten?

That was a couple of weeks ago. Iíll tell you what, when they suspended the four, I sure wanted to know who they were. When I found out two of them had worked our game with Iowa, I wasnít surprised.

No word on Jimmy Kennedy but we def. need him in there. I didn't know about the 4 Big Ten officials being dismissed. Guess Joe has a little influence on what happens in the league.

Looking forward to a great game. Take pics for me Smangalick if you can.
Old 10-09-02, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey Gov, aren't you supposta be at work today?????

Oh yeah, Penn State will lose this weekend.
Old 10-09-02, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Lateralus

Hey Gov, aren't you supposta be at work today?????

Oh yeah, Penn State will lose this weekend.
Work??? Woops, I forgot. This damn SmallBall makes me forget about all of my responsibilities.

Oh yeah, do you follow college football??
Old 10-09-02, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh yeah, do you follow college football??
Just the real teams...and Penn State is not one of them.
Old 10-09-02, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Lateralus
Just the real teams...and Penn State is not one of them.
Don't be mad. It's ok. You can post in here anways
Old 10-09-02, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From Joe's press conference Tuesday:

When they come here, we have 110, 000. You go out there and they have 110,000 and that kind of thing. I think it is something that is, maybe, exciting for the whole country.
We have 110,000 at every game. Penn State isn't that special.
Old 10-09-02, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Goblincat
We have 110,000 at every game. Penn State isn't that special.
Plus, given that fact that Lloyd has run off 5 straight against JoePa - this game has the same appeal to me as Minnesota or Iowa coming to town (no offense to those fine football programs!!). I remember back when the series started, paying like $110 for a ticket from a scalper. Now I can't even give my two away here in Ann Arbor.

Daryl
Old 10-09-02, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Daryl
Now I can't even give my two away here in Ann Arbor.
I'll take them.
The wife's parents have our tickets this weekend.
Old 10-15-02, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The PSU/Michigan game was a great one. I can't believe PSU let them drive for the tie score so easily. Michigan showed a lot of poise to get the job done. I think Penn State will be ok though. After OSU the schedule is favorable to finish at worst 8-4. And after the past 2 seasons that would be a great accomplishment.