Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Atlanta Braves possibly for sale

Old 10-07-02, 10:18 PM

Atlanta Braves possibly for sale

AOL Time Warner is considering selling a number of non-core businesses in an effort to reduce its $30bn debt. The company is seriously considering selling the Braves along with the Hawks and Thrashers. Preliminary estimates suggest that the sales could bring in over $1bn. It is believed that any sale of the sports teams would face opposition from AOL vice-chairman, Ted Turner.

My questions are, who the heck would be able to buy the Braves? And if they can't be profitable, who can be?
Old 10-07-02, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Buy it, chop it up and sell it little pieces. It should be worth much more.
Old 10-07-02, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk God

good news!
damn i hate having those aol bastards running the show

maybe ted can get a group of investors together and get the team back

as far as profitable.. teams arent profitable.. the people that own the teams are
Old 10-07-02, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
So braves might be up on the sales block. How about the angels? will disney keep them or just sell them off?
Old 10-07-02, 11:19 PM
Premium Member

Sell them on ebay as OOP (might be "out of playoffs" ) to get top dollar!

Seriously, MLB can't handle this crap much longer... fans they are a fading...
Old 10-08-02, 03:27 AM
Moderator Emeritus

I heard Vince McMahon might be interested.
Old 10-08-02, 10:45 AM
Retired

That would be great. AOL has shown reluctance to spend money to improve the team. Hopefully they'll sale to a group willing to spend whatever it takes to win. Namely to sign Maddux and Glavine. Though after Glavine's post season performance I wouldn't mind seeing him signed and traded for a couple pitching prospects.
Old 10-08-02, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Any corporation that owns a team is doomed. The shareholders won't let a CEO sign a big name star just to win games.
Old 10-08-02, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Though after Glavine's post season performance I wouldn't mind seeing him signed and traded for a couple pitching prospects.
although glavine was a large part of the reason why we made it there
Old 10-08-02, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by ChiTownAbs
Any corporation that owns a team is doomed. The shareholders won't let a CEO sign a big name star just to win games.
thats why i would see ted get the team back!
Old 10-08-02, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Glavine is 36 years old and makes 8 million per year.

Even if he agreed to it, what is the trade value of Glavine?
Old 10-08-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by classicman2

18 wins and a 2.96 era is pretty good for a 36 year old
and looking back.. his last few years have been as solid as pretty much any in his career.. with the exception of the 91-93 stretch when he put up maddux like numbers
Old 10-08-02, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by classicman2

Depends on how many years are left on the contract. If only 2 or 3, $8M/year for a pitcher of his caliber is a bargain. As such, he would have a lot of value. Older pitchers can enjoy success - the Yankees recent run and last year's WS can demonstrate that.
Old 10-08-02, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Red Dog
Depends on how many years are left on the contract. If only 2 or 3, $8M/year for a pitcher of his caliber is a bargain. As such, he would have a lot of value. Older pitchers can enjoy success - the Yankees recent run and last year's WS can demonstrate that.
i dont think he is going anywhere for 8$ mil
i think the problem is... people are worried that maddux and glavine will decide to get the big contracts now, because they took alot less money then their market value in the past..
so now, with only a few years left in their careers, they will go for the dough.. in which case, its unsure if the braves would be willing to sign them both to large deals..
personally.. i would at least get maddux.. regardless what he is able to do himself on the mound.. the training he gives the younger pitchers is well worth any amount he wants to ask for.
Old 10-08-02, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's time to clean house. The Braves need some fresh blood.......
Old 10-08-02, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by twikoff
although glavine was a large part of the reason why we made it there

You made it where twikoff? You play for the braves? What position do you play? Could you ask ownership to get rid of the stupid tomahawk chop?
Old 10-08-02, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by ten41
You made it where twikoff? You play for the braves? What position do you play? Could you ask ownership to get rid of the stupid tomahawk chop?
you dont talk about the teams you cheer for in first person?
Old 10-08-02, 05:48 PM
Moderator Emeritus

I don't. I sometimes slip when I'm on a fan site. Until I own or work for the team, I won't normally use the first person.
Old 10-08-02, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not really. I was just joking.
Old 10-09-02, 12:32 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Personally...here's what I would do in the off season if I was the GM for the Braves.

First off, it'd be nice to see a list of the team's players with their salaries and when they're signed through.

Anyhow, get rid of Julio Franco...I think he's a free agent, so don't sign him. Next, don't re-sign Keith Lockhart...or if you do, keep him strictly on the bench for pinch hitting only. Also get rid of Castilla. He may have come up and batted well in the NLDS, but that does not make up for the poor season he had at the plate. Javy Lopez has to go too. I have always liked him, but he's not giving any punch from behind the plate.

Now, here's how I would have the roster next year:

Andruw, Gary, and Chipper are locked up in the outfield. Furcal is set at short. I would go into training camp and let Helms, Derosa, and Giles fight it out for the other infield positions. Personally I think Helms would do well at 3rd since that's his natural possition and given the at bats could turn into a great hitter. Giles and Derosa battle it out at 2nd, but I think they should keep Derosa and let him play 2nd, ship Giles somewhere for some pitching. Matt Franco, IMHO has all but earned his starting job at 1st base with his performance this year, let him have it.

Catcher, I would go out and sign Ivan Rodriguez. You have have to pay some bank to get him, but he is a great team leader and a superb catcher and a very smart hitter. He knows how to call a game and would fit in well with the Braves pitchers I believe. Texas is hesitant to sign him since he's had injury problems, but after his surgery earlier this year he played excellent the 2nd half of the season. That would give you this as a starting lineup of 2003: (and in this order hopefully)

SS Furcal
1B Matt Franco
LF Chipper
RF Sheffield
CF Andruw
C Rodriguez
3B Helms
2B Derosa

Now, as for pitching, I think the Braves should resign Greg Maddux (albeit for maybe a lesser amount than his $13M a year he's getting right now). Glavine, even though I have always liked him, his blowing it in the NLDS is the last straw. We need younger pitchers. Here would be my starting rotation:

Maddux
Millwood
Moss
Trey Hodges (won 16 games at AAA)

For the #5 starter, if Marquis can get his act together, I think he would be great, but I think see him doing middle relief in his future. I thought there was another 15 game winner at AAA Richmond this past year but I can't remember who it was.

Anyhow, that is what I would do if I were the GM.
Old 10-09-02, 01:10 AM
Retired

I don't think there's any chance of getting Rodriquez, though I'd love to see it.

I disagree about Helms. I'd put Giles at 3rd, Derosa at 2nd and Matt Franco at 1st to start, with Helms coming off the bench and taking over for Giles or Franco if they don't perform.

I agree about Glavine, his second half falter and poor NLDS performance were the last straw. I just don't think he has enough left in the tank to perform at his best in Sept. and Oct., which means he's just not worth the money anymore.