Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Card collectors--How do you get a card "GRADED" professionally?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-07-02, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

I'm picking up some old sealed factory sets that I plan on cracking and selling some singles. I see that a card is WAY more valuable if it is graded, such as PSA. How do you go about getting a card graded, and is it expensive?
Old 10-07-02, 04:30 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Depends what kind of cards we're talking about. For sports cards, you can send them off to Beckett. http://www.beckett.com/grading/

Not sure how much it costs though.
Old 10-07-02, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can do the Beckett grading thing but they are known to grade easier thus don't command the premium that PSA cards do.

PSA is the one that true collectors look for. Its quite pricey to have a card graded through them so it's really only worth it if you know its a high $$ card in perfect condition.

http://www.psacard.com/
Old 10-07-02, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You can still get cards graded at PSA with the ebay hookup...although I have to find the link.

I'd say PSA is a slightly tougher grade than beckett, but the beckett ones have the nicer holder...
Old 10-07-02, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you do it, let us know how it goes. I've been thinking of doing the grading thing for some older cards I have.
Old 10-07-02, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What really defines a "Gem Mint" card? I mean, I' currently selling a Lemieux rookie on Ebay, and I can tell it's not mint...it's slightly off-center, little bit of wear around card, etc... But cards nowadays are SO sharp & perfect, wouldn't any card just pulled from a pack be considered Gem mint? I'm snagging some old score football sets with Emmitt rookies in them. The sets and wax are factory sealed, so wouldn't they be Gem 10's?
Old 10-07-02, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh yeah, I also want to know if there's a place online that you can get an accurate (Beckett) price list for cards. I don't want to spend money on the magazine because I need Football, baseball, and hockey...then I'll need it every month...

I hate to sound cheap, but I just want to price some cards.
Old 10-07-02, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

PSA pricing...

Modern Bulk-$6 per card--Minimum order of 100 cards, cards dated 1975 and later--45 business days guaranteed

Vintage Common--$7 per card--Minimum order of 100 cards, cards dated 1974 and earlier--45 business days guaranteed

Modern--$8 per card--Cards dated 1975 and later--35 business days guaranteed

Economy--$10 per card --Any--30 business days guaranteed

Regular--$15 per card--Any--10 business days guaranteed

Express--$20 per card--Any--5 business days guaranteed

Super Express*--$35 per card--Any--2 business days guaranteed

Walk-Through*--$50 per card--Any--Same Day guaranteed
Old 10-07-02, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk God

no... a card is not necessarily mint when its first pulled out of the pack

there are lots of variables that can lower the rating before you ever touch the card.. printing errors such as off center, crooked, smudged ink, etc...

for the emmitt smith rookies.. you may consider holding them a bit longer.. considering he is about to break payton's all time rushing record.. and if rice ever retires, emmitt may break the all time yards from scrimmage record. and of course, will get into the hall of fame on his first chance
Old 10-07-02, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

twikoff,

Yeah, I'm definitely holding on to them, at least until the record falls. So, you're saying there is still a problem with off-centering, smudges, etc...even on today's cards?? that's pretty sad. You look at the quality of todays cards...they all look soooo perfect!
Old 10-07-02, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are these guys any less full of **** than the CGC guys in the comic world?

Last edited by AndyCapps; 10-07-02 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-07-02, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Once I get that $100K/year job I'll be able to afford to get some of my cards graded. In the mean time they'll just sit in my closet
Old 10-07-02, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by dvdsteve2000
Oh yeah, I also want to know if there's a place online that you can get an accurate (Beckett) price list for cards.
Check out this site, it uses Ebay auctions to determine the value of cards. You will have to register to see the price guide but it's free.

http://www3.reallegends.com/price_guide.html
Old 10-08-02, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

card grading is much more precise and demanding than the comic book grading. As far as the pricing...consider this- if you have a card that is a gem, it goes for more than book sometimes. it's unreal what a gem goes for...I've sold a few, and they just sell. bigtime.
Old 10-08-02, 02:40 AM
Mod Emeritus

Anyone ever watch that baseball card home shopping network show with the guys who are really excited and go crazy for their deals? They always talk about selling gem mint rookies. It's pretty hilarious. I don't keep up on card collecting, are they pretty much a screw job or do they actually have good deals? I used to have some good Emmitt rookies (my favorite was the Action Packed foil rookie) but I had two nice collections stolen twice when I was in school. Never bring your cards to school or let your kids bring them to school!
Old 10-08-02, 02:45 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Good luck, I went the PSA route with my hockey cards. Sent in about 10 or so which I went over tooth and nail, got 1 10 back. A Jagr OPC Premier rookie, sold it for 300 on Ebay. Other than that, if its fairly new, and you get a 9, you can maybe get what the card is worth. Maybe.
Old 10-08-02, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So basically, if you don't think it's going to get a 9.5 or a 10, don't do it? I mean, what does getting an 8 do for you on the market?
Old 10-08-02, 08:52 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, basically if you don't think you have at least a 10, don't do it. I'm talking recent cards though. Pre-85 anything there probably is a big market for stuff like that in no matter what condition, but new stuff, if you think it's an 8, it aint selling.

My brother sent in 3 Bonds Fleer 86 rookies, got all 3 of em back 9's when they all looked like gem 10s.

Also, if the card is Off Center or has any flaws on it, they usually mark the label OC or whatever the flaw is and that basically kills the market on it.

Example

A PSA 10 Bonds 87 Fleer RC sells on ebay for 400-535
A PSA 9 sells for 40-55
A PSA 9 OC sells for 36.00
A PSA 8 15-20

It's risky to send em in. I worked in the card business forever so I grade very good IMO. Like I said, I sent in 10, I got 1 10 back, (8) 9s, and (1) 8. I sold the Jagr for 300 and made my money back for the grading fees, and the rest of the 9's if I sold, I could use that to send 10 more cards in or whatever. In the end, its too much of a friggin hassle.
Old 10-08-02, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dek, are you still into cards? I mean, are you still buying?

I'm still interested in getting back into the habit, but the old way doesn't work. I used to spend $$$ on box after box of packs. I'd get a few finds, but mostly just stuff I didn't want (but I loved the thrill of the hunt).

Now, I'm thinking of just buying the cards I want of the players I like. But I'm not sure that will be as fun. At least you get the thrill while opening packs.

Hmmmm, get back into it or not...that is the question.
Old 10-08-02, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A good rule of thumb:

Post 1980, must get 9.5+ to recover value on grading costs.

1970-1980, must get 8.5+ to recover value on grading costs.

1960-1970, must get 7.0+ to recover value on grading costs.

Pre 1960, must get 6.0+ to recover value on grading costs.

Currently, I have about 10-15 cards on the fence, including

1948 Al Schoedenist (sp) in about 6.0 condition. (BV=$200.00)
1961 Roger Maris in about 7.0-8.0 condition. (BV=$175.00)
1961 Sandy Koufax in about 8.0 condition. (BV=$100.00)
1951 Joe DiMaggio off brand in about 6.5 condition (BV=$200.00)
1964 Pete Rose in about 7.5+ condition (BV=$175.00)

Cards are rarely even produced in GMnt condition due to surface damage during print runs/packaging.
Old 10-08-02, 09:41 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Nah, sold em all except for my PSA 9 Sakic rc and PSA 9 Hejduk SP Authentic rookie.

It's too expensive now for packs, 3 to 6 bucks when they first come out and thats the low end of the scale usually. If you get one of the insert cards then its worth it, but most of the time you get jack. I used to buy cases when I worked at various stores for the price of 2 boxes of cards today.

Personally, I'd go with buying who you like. I ended up ditching like 3 to 5 grand worth of hockey rookies alone on Ebay for 500 bucks
Old 10-08-02, 09:51 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, also, if you do PSA, its smart to do them in large quantities. If you do 100 cards or more, post 1975, you can get them for 6 bucks each. Takes forever (45 Business Days), but if you have a lot, thats what I was going to do.
Old 10-08-02, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

bishop2knight - I buy singles, rooks, game used, whatever of the players/team that I collect... And it's a small list. Been in for about a decade now and eBay is the only way to go if you want to collect... For the cost of a box of wax from today's "good" product, hell even the mid range stuff, you can fill a box full of the players/team that you're interested in... I used to bust down boxes but anymore it's just a ridiculous waste of money to do so... Let someone else do it and then buy the best insert in the box for less than the cost of a single pack.

As for grading/graded cards... The market is finally settling where it belongs IMHO... PSA 9s and 10s of a two year old card mean nothing to me (and, now, many others it seems). In fact, they're worth less since I have to worry about those stupid bulky cases they come in. Now, if you have something that is worth grading (nice older rooks of HOFers of FHOFers) then do it, otherwise don't waste your time and money. YMMV of course but graded cards from the past decade is hands down the worst thing, next to the outrageous pack prices, that I've seen happen to the hobby in my 10 years of collecting.
Old 10-08-02, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was a huge collector from 1989-1993. I noticed that in 1993, there were more and more sets, subsets, and brands coming out every week. It got to be too much to keep up with. I used to buy so much friggin wax it was unbelievable, but back then it was worth it...you could sell a card for some good money. I mainly collected hockey, and some of the top stuff was the 91 Team Pinnacle set, Stadium Club 1st Day issues, Hockey Heroes sets, Czech Upper Deck, etc... I look now on Ebay and those cards are going for less than a pack cost back then. I got out because I saw the market being 'overflooded', which apparently did happen. But now I'm gonna start snagging some of those older sets & singles from some future HOFers.
Old 10-09-02, 03:28 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Another common misconception is buying a factory sealed set will get you gem 10's. More than likely you might find 1 or 2, maybe.

Personally, sticking to Ebay or card shows to grab singles is the way I would go.

Then again, what do I know, I sold all my cards

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.