Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: When will Spurrier get fired?
During or after Season 1
13.64%
During or after Season 2
22.73%
During or after Season 3
27.27%
After the previous choices.
36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Spurrier when will he be fired?

Old 10-05-02, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spurrier when will he be fired?

Ok to me its obvious the Redskins aren't better doing any better this year with the hiring of Spurrier and the firing of Marty. Spurrier is trying to use his passing offense on a team whose strength appears to be running the ball.

In Spurriers defense he needs about 2-4 years of drafting players that fit his offense.

Meanwhile Chargers are 4-0. Kind of like sweet justice for Marty for I felt he had the Redskins on the right track.

All I can say is Daniel Stern your an a$$
Old 10-05-02, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If he is fired I hope he returns to Florida. Our coach sucks.
Old 10-05-02, 04:03 PM

I think he will quit before he is fired, He'll be like Rick Patino, come into the league thinking it will be easy, annoy the hell out of his players by trying to make himself the center of attention, then quit and go back to a struggling college program to attemp to reclaim his glory. He'll last at least three years though.
Old 10-05-02, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Talk about jumping the (fun and) gun. There's nothing embarassing or particularly bad about his season so far. Losing to Philly is nothing to be ashamed of, and really that game was a defensive collapse more than anything. And losing to San Fran really isn't that bad either, although you'd like to see some more offensive production. But there's a LONG way to go in just this season. It's a big adjustment. It's going to take time. And he'd have to go winless for 2 straight seasons to get fired anytime soon.

He'll be there as long as he wants to be. You don't bring in a guy like Spurrier if you're looking to dump him early. It's absurd to expect immediate success in his situation, particularly since he doesn't have a quarterback.

das
Old 10-05-02, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

most people believe he will be successful as a pro coach. he just needs to get the right players to make his system work. i think the Skins will be better next year and the year after. remember that a lot of the players on his team are dealing with learning a third system in three years. once they get some time in his system things will turn around. he's not getting fired and i doubt he will quit.
Old 10-05-02, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He won't be getting fired anytime soon, that's for sure. Dan Snyder paid him a lot of money and I'm sure Snyder isn't going to give up on Spurrier for at least 4 or 5 years.

When he was first hired, I went against the grain and told everybody that he wouldn't be nearly as successful in his first year as some had thought. Then after watching the preseason, I changed my mind and thought the Skins had a chance. I guess I should have stuck with my gut instinct.

Old 10-05-02, 07:58 PM
Premium Member

Marty has proven to be a great NFL coach! He just didn't have the control that Snyder has "promised" (yeah right) Super Steve

I don't look for anything to change...
Old 10-05-02, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wouldn't be surprised if Marvin Lewis got the can fairly quick. Synder is already grumbling about the defense.
Old 10-05-02, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by zak52
I wouldn't be surprised if Marvin Lewis got the can fairly quick. Synder is already grumbling about the defense.
i don't know about that. i think snyder's days of quick fires are over. he's learned that it takes time for new systems to take hold. plus the skins have virtually no pass rush and the safeties are horrible. i think the DE and S deficiencies will be addressed this off-season.
Old 10-05-02, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just waiting for broadwayblue to be willing to shell out $100 before I help him with his problem.

Old 10-05-02, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
I'm just waiting for broadwayblue to be willing to shell out $100 before I help him with his problem.

Old 10-06-02, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sometime after either Thu., Nov. 28, 2002 or Sun., Dec. 29, 2002.
Old 10-06-02, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't really get the whole pro-Marty, anti-Spurrier talk here around DC. TO begin with

Spurrier - three games and two losses to likely playoff teams (SF and Philly), which many picked to go to the Super Bowl. Obviously the team is not playing well right now, but things can change. It's just too early to really now

Marty - won three gimmes with San Diego and one great win. But don't go punching his playoff ticket just yet. Besides, are we to believe Marty would win with the Redskins talent? There's still no QB on this team.

Bottom line is, Spurrier will still be around a while. There's almost no talent on offense, but the team should improve this year. Additionally, its not like the Redskins didn't want Marty. Part of the decision to fire him was the fact he was also GM and Snyder viewed that as a mistake. Schottenheimer is not the GM in San Diego and that's probably a good thing. But letting Marty go also opened up the door for Spurrier. And people believe he's just a better coach. If you believe that, then you should make the move in most cases.

Comparing Marty and Spurrier thus far, with two seperate teams, over 4 weeks of one season, with completely different schedules really doesn't tell us anything.
Old 10-06-02, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by broadwayblue
i don't know about that. i think snyder's days of quick fires are over. he's learned that it takes time for new systems to take hold. plus the skins have virtually no pass rush and the safeties are horrible. i think the DE and S deficiencies will be addressed this off-season.
Do you mean his days of quick fires are over starting this year, because Marty was awfully quick. I would put nothing behind Synder.
Old 10-06-02, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well Spurrier to me is looking like a fool. He's alienating the press but then he doesn't care and his decision to bring in Waffle and Matthews was horrendous. Their were a few QBs avaliable that were better than these 2 guys. Bledsoe and Chandler. Plus last year Marty had this team jelling near the end of the season.

In Superiors defense it is still early in the year.
Old 10-06-02, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's very early in the season, so I havent abandoned hope for the 'Skins yet, but I'm getting ready to.

The D which was supposedly a strong point, is getting mauled every down.

The O is absolutely dreadful. Spurrier has QBs with no talent, yet he insists on passing. WTF.

I watch Sportscenter just to laugh.
Old 10-06-02, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sm8680
Well Spurrier to me is looking like a fool. He's alienating the press but then he doesn't care and his decision to bring in Waffle and Matthews was horrendous. Their were a few QBs avaliable that were better than these 2 guys. Bledsoe and Chandler. Plus last year Marty had this team jelling near the end of the season.

In Superiors defense it is still early in the year.
Actually I like how he handles the press. He always plays dumb, which is perfect since they usually ask dumb freaking questions. Bringing in Wuerffel and Matthews hasn't been great decisions, but the cost nothing. If they wanted Bledsoe, they'd have to trade away a first round pick (it was Ramsey this year) and how long is Bledsoe a solution for? A few years back they sent I believe a 1, 2, and a 3 for Brad Johnson. Johnson did decent for a short while and is now gone. The first rounder they gave up was Culpepper. Sometimes you have to think long-term as well.

Wuerffel and Matthews at least know the system, which is crucial. They can help others learn it and step in quicker to play it. Mathews hasn't been that bad either. Played great against Arizona. Didn't play well versus Philly or San Fran, but recievers dropped some balls and he was hurt. Danny boy has sucked hard though. Still, whether you bring in a crappy QB like Chandler, I doubt they can do much better. And did Chandler even want to come here? Who knows...
Old 10-06-02, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jericho
Actually I like how he handles the press. He always plays dumb, which is perfect since they usually ask dumb freaking questions. Bringing in Wuerffel and Matthews hasn't been great decisions, but the cost nothing. If they wanted Bledsoe, they'd have to trade away a first round pick (it was Ramsey this year) and how long is Bledsoe a solution for? A few years back they sent I believe a 1, 2, and a 3 for Brad Johnson. Johnson did decent for a short while and is now gone. The first rounder they gave up was Culpepper. Sometimes you have to think long-term as well.

Wuerffel and Matthews at least know the system, which is crucial. They can help others learn it and step in quicker to play it. Mathews hasn't been that bad either. Played great against Arizona. Didn't play well versus Philly or San Fran, but recievers dropped some balls and he was hurt. Danny boy has sucked hard though. Still, whether you bring in a crappy QB like Chandler, I doubt they can do much better. And did Chandler even want to come here? Who knows...
exactly what i was going to say. and now it looks like Ramsey might just be the guy. obviously he's got a way to go but hopefully he will develop. next year the skins will most likely spend their #1 on a franchse wideout and ballcoach will be able to be more successful with his offensive plan. obviously they need some other pieces too (left guard, defensive end, safety) but they will be on their way.

zak52, yes i'm saying starting now Danny will begin to show some patience and realize there are no quick fixes.
Old 10-07-02, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by broadwayblue
DITTO

I was pissed when they signed Trotter. Not because he's not a good player, but our safeties play like... poop! If we had money to burn, we should have tried to get at least one good safety. and yes, DE sucks as well. Bruce is too old and the guy we signed from Jacksonville, Wynn, rarely makes a play. He gets blocked quite well.
Old 10-07-02, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Deadpool
DITTO

I was pissed when they signed Trotter. Not because he's not a good player, but our safeties play like... poop! If we had money to burn, we should have tried to get at least one good safety. and yes, DE sucks as well. Bruce is too old and the guy we signed from Jacksonville, Wynn, rarely makes a play. He gets blocked quite well.
Actually I liked the Trotter signing for a few reasons

1. The middle linebacker is usually the key (i.e. most important) part of a defense
2. He's young
3. He's really good

It's rare to get a good, young player in free agency. The D-Line does generally suck and the safties blow chunks. But, I don't think anyone was avaliable that's worth that money
Old 10-07-02, 06:04 PM
Banned

Can someone change the title to Martz when will he be fired?