Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

North American Hockey League (League ID# 35217)

Old 10-05-02, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

North American Hockey League (League ID# 35217)

Teams and Owners:

Jerks and Squirts - Flabio
Puck U. - Grrah
MVP Forsberg - dek
Kaffe_02
newport penguins
Oilers
Mobile Suckies - Lateralus
THEteam
ShaolinHKY - J-Dubya
Harrisburg Penguins - The Governor
othermike's strokes - othermike
Tactical Swines - Munchos
blueshirts - broadwayblue

Last edited by broadwayblue; 10-09-02 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-05-02, 03:44 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
At least Grrah didn't get Sakic Can't believe you passed him up for Sundin
Old 10-05-02, 03:45 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

PS - Jerks and Squirts, trade me SAKIC
Old 10-05-02, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

so what's the story with waivers? when can we start dropping/adding players. trades too...when can we start making offers...and do they have to be aproved by the league to ensure fairplay?

and a scoring question concerning plus/minus. it says .25 points. if a player is -4 i assume that means i lose a point?

and why are shorthanded goals/assists no more valuable than power play goals/assists?

Last edited by broadwayblue; 10-05-02 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-05-02, 06:56 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

You can start dropping and adding right after the draft ended. Basically you drop said player and pick up another, it takes a day for it to take effect i.e. they won't get points that day, after that is when they get them.

You can start making trade offers right away as well. I don't think there is approval, but if a trade is so far out there I could see it being denied by the commish.

Yes on the -4 = minus 1 in points and SH/PP good question?
Old 10-06-02, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i really should have researched the scoring categories more before the draft (i'm used to espn's roto scoring.) goalies in our league are practically worthless. i mean gaa and save % (probably the two most important ratings for a goalie) are not included. plus the way the categories are designed they don't really have much of a positive point value towards your team.

here's a hypothetical situation. your forward scores a power play goal and takes a tripping penalty in a game he is -2 +/-, and your goalie makes 30 saves on 31 shots and gets a win. who had the better game and deserves to help your team more?

according to our point system (if i understand it correctly) the forward gets 2 points for the goal, .5 points for the point, 2 points for the power play goal, .5 points for the power play point, .5 points for the two minute minor, and -.5 points for the +/- for a total of 5.0 points for your team.

meanwhile your goalie for his .968 save % and a 1.0 gaa effort gets 2 points for the win and 3 points for the 30 saves for a total of 5.0 points for your team.

does this breakdown seem fair? and consider that we only have two goalie positions who can only contribute in 3 categories while we have 10 starting offensive players who can earn points in 12 categories. yes, i'm aware that goalies can get a 3 point bonus for a shutout but that effectively puts the cap on a goalies scoring at about 9 points a game (assuming a 40 save shutout.)
Old 10-06-02, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by broadwayblue

and why are shorthanded goals/assists no more valuable than power play goals/assists?
I tried to keep the scoring as close to NHL scoring as I could, but I see your point.

I made some changes in scoring:

points = .25 points per point ------down from .50
Shorthanded points = 1 point -----up from .50
Shorthanded goal = 3 points----- up from 2
Shorthaned assist = 2 points ----- up from 1
Old 10-06-02, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i really should have researched the scoring categories more before the draft (i'm used to espn's roto scoring.) goalies in our league are practically worthless. i mean gaa and save % (probably the two most important ratings for a goalie) are not included. plus the way the categories are designed they don't really have much of a positive point value towards your team.

here's a hypothetical situation. your forward scores a power play goal and takes a tripping penalty in a game he is -2 +/-, and your goalie makes 30 saves on 31 shots and gets a win. who had the better game and deserves to help your team more?

according to our point system (if i understand it correctly) the forward gets 2 points for the goal, .5 points for the point, 2 points for the power play goal, .5 points for the power play point, .5 points for the two minute minor, and -.5 points for the +/- for a total of 5.0 points for your team.

meanwhile your goalie for his .968 save % and a 1.0 gaa effort gets 2 points for the win and 3 points for the 30 saves for a total of 5.0 points for your team.

does this breakdown seem fair? and consider that we only have two goalie positions who can only contribute in 3 categories while we have 10 starting offensive players who can earn points in 12 categories. yes, i'm aware that goalies can get a 3 point bonus for a shutout but that effectively puts the cap on a goalies scoring at about 9 points a game (assuming a 40 save shutout.)
I tried to keep all the players on a even page thus the low scoring for the goalies. I figured for a average good night maybe 5-10 points per player.

I could raise the value of saves but ShaolinHKY would probably rip my head off. I feel bad beause the the way the goalie situation was planned on going was 82 games total for two goalies, but is now 164 games total for two goalies.

As for the goalie scoring, the league settings were up since Sept 18 and it's much to late to start making a fuss about it now. These concerns should have been addressed before the draft.
Old 10-07-02, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Lateralus
These concerns should have been addressed before the draft.
you are absolutely right. i have only myself to blame. that being said i still have a hard time digesting the fact that a fantasy league could ignore GAA and S %. like i said, i'm new to the world of point based fantasy. i'm not sure you could even include those categories in such a league where you aren't awarded points based on how your players stack up against your opponents'.

on a side note...when do the remaining players switch from Waivers to Free Agents? i thought it usually took 24 hours, but the draft has been over for a day and a half now.

Last edited by broadwayblue; 10-07-02 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-07-02, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

on a side note...when do the remaining players switch from Waivers to Free Agents? i thought it usually took 24 hours, but the draft has been over for a day and a half now.
The League is setup that they come off of waviers in 24 hours.
Old 10-07-02, 06:26 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

We should setup a list of who here is what team.
Old 10-07-02, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Save % and GAA are only in Rotisserie and Head to Head leagues.

However I could have added points for GA and SA.
Old 10-07-02, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by dek
We should setup a list of who here is what team.
good idea.

if everyone posts their team name and dvdtalk username i can put them all at the top.
Old 10-07-02, 11:33 AM

i'm running the othermike strokes obviously.

for trade talks, my AIM handle is othermike79.
Old 10-07-02, 12:00 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

MVP Forsberg
Old 10-07-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mobile suckies

I already have my uniform, just gotta change the baseball bat to a hockey stick.
Old 10-07-02, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Harrisburg Penguins
Old 10-08-02, 02:52 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

From the other thread these teams are -

Munchos = Tactical Swines
Flabio = Jerks and Squirts
Grrrah = Puck U
Old 10-08-02, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

updated teams...

still waiting for owners of:

Kaffe_02
newport penguins
Oilers
THEteam
ShaolinHKY
Old 10-08-02, 09:34 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Kaffe better ditch Fleury, just got suspended indefinately for breaking the leagues substance abuse policy
Old 10-08-02, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

when do our lineups have to be set in order to have the players stats count for the game?
Old 10-08-02, 10:52 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

You can alter your lineup right up until faceoff, after that, they are in stone for the day.
Old 10-09-02, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

ShaolinHKY is me!
Old 10-09-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

attention owners of

Kaffe_02
newport penguins
Oilers
THEteam

please report to this thread.
Old 10-10-02, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

does anyone know when players can be place on IR? and how does IR work in this league...if i place someone on IR i get to pick a FA to replace him right? and what happens when the player comes off IR...can i keep him there indefinitely?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.