Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

What are your thoughts on the lack of minority coaches?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-05-02, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This controversial issue always seems to come up every year at one point or another.

I'm too lazy to look up official statistics, but we all know that minorities make up a very small percentage of coaches in college and professional sports. Minorities probably make up an even smaller percentage of front office personnel in pro teams and athletic directors of colleges.

I'm all for minorities having equal opportunities, but part of me thinks that in most cases, the best person gets the job anyway. If the best person happens to be caucasian then so be it. I don't really think a school or owner would not hire a person based on that person's ethnicity if that person was the best person for the job. I hope not, anyway.

The University of Kentucky, an all-white team that notoriously lost to all-black Texas Western in the '66 NCAA Championship, hired their first black basketball coach in history when they hired Tubby Smith (after Rick Pitino left for the Celtics). As a die-hard UK fan and somebody who had lived in rural Kentucky as literally the only Asian person in the whole town, I was a little wary of how Smith would be received (though my reception was frickin' awesome...I was a novelty ). Well, UK won the NCAA Championship in Tubby's first season as coach and everybody was happy. People in Kentucky love basketball (most are UK fans, but there are a good number of Louisville fans...even before/after Pitino started coaching at UL) and I wonder how Tubby would have been treated if he hadn't won an NCAA Championship so early. I'm not saying he'd be fired or anything, but being the coach of the UK basketball team is one of the most high profile jobs in the entire state of Kentucky.

I'm very happy to see Tyrone Willingham doing well at Notre Dame. I usually don't like Pac-10 teams, but I actually cheered for Stanford last year when he was coaching there. If Willingham was doing a bad job at ND, would he receive the same kind of leniency that a white coach would get? Who knows. To speculate on that would be...well....speculation.

In my opinion, Tubby Smith and Tyrone Willingham are two good cases of where the best man got the job (although Notre Dame's laughable search for a head coach is well documented). But is that always the case? Does the best person always get the job? Or does the best white person get the job?

Johnnie Cochran (yes, that one) recently spoke out how there is a lack of black coaches and front office personnel in the NFL. Despite what you think of Cochran, he speaks the truth. At last count, there were only 2 black NFL coaches. I have no idea on how many front office personnel are black, but I would bet that there aren't many.

Yes I know that there are more minorites than blacks, but considering that black athletes make up such a huge portion of athletes in college and pro sports (as opposed to Latinos, Asians, etc.), I've based most of this discussion on blacks as being the minority involved.

Note: I'm not trying to ruffle feathers here. I think this is a topic that could spark some good discussion. That's all.

Old 10-05-02, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My opinion is that coaching is a fraternity, and minorities are just now being involved. I certainly don't think it's racism, it's just that it takes some time for minorities to be included in the "network."

That said, I'd be willing to consider appropriate measures to rectify the situation. I would not consider rewarding teams that hire minorities an appropriate measure.
Old 10-05-02, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Johnnie Cochran can spout off all he wants, but the truth is that this isn't a problem that is going to be rectified over night....maybe 10-15 years down the line, there'll be some progress in this field. In D1A college football, the name of the game is winning, so you don't take chances like hiring an unproven coach. And almost all of the experienced coaches are white.

As an alum, I don't care who the AD hires, just that he can come in and WIN!! And some great credentials help too.

Its almost a no=win situation. You want coaches with experience. But it hard for a minority coach to get top level experience, but AD want coached with previous experience.

But in the grand scheme of things to me, its a non-issue. It is a problem, but one that threatens the fabric of our society? No.
Old 10-06-02, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If a owner highers the best coach then thats fine but if he highers a white guy over a better black coach then thats not OK.
Old 10-07-02, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by clemente
Johnnie Cochran can spout off all he wants, but the truth is that this isn't a problem that is going to be rectified over night....maybe 10-15 years down the line, there'll be some progress in this field. In D1A college football, the name of the game is winning, so you don't take chances like hiring an unproven coach. And almost all of the experienced coaches are white.

As an alum, I don't care who the AD hires, just that he can come in and WIN!! And some great credentials help too.

Its almost a no=win situation. You want coaches with experience. But it hard for a minority coach to get top level experience, but AD want coached with previous experience.

But in the grand scheme of things to me, its a non-issue. It is a problem, but one that threatens the fabric of our society? No.
When Cal was looking for a coach after we went 1-10 last season, our final candidates came down to Jeff Teford from Oregon and Charlie Strong from South Carolina. In the end, our AD and search committee chose Tedford, and so far, our alums are happy. The best man got the job, in this case, and he happened to be white, while the other candidate was black.

Lots of our alums were pushing for Strong because he was black, and could maybe help by relating better to the black athletes and the situations they were in. Although I'm sure Strong would've been an excellent coach, and may still become a great college head coach one day, I'm happy with Tedford right now, since we're 4-2!
Old 10-07-02, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mnguye10
I'm happy with Tedford right now, since we're 4-2!
Especially since Holmoe couldn't do anything with the team.

Go Joe Igber! (He's from Hawaii. )

Old 10-07-02, 03:31 AM
Banned

Yeah! Cock-han is right. I want some Asian coaches damn it!
Old 10-07-02, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mysterX
Yeah! Cock-han is right. I want some Asian coaches damn it!
Go to Asia then.