DJs Prank On Darryl Kile's Widow Angers Cardinals Manager

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-04-02, 12:44 PM

http://www.local6.com/sh/news/storie...110042002&ts=H

Cardinals Manager Angry Because DJ Will Not Be Punished
Posted: 10:59 a.m. EDT October 4, 2002

PHOENIX -- St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa was irate over a Phoenix-area disc jockey who called Darryl Kile's widow and asked if she had a date for Thursday's playoff game.

Flynn Kile hung up the phone after KUPD-FM radio's Beau Duran called her Phoenix hotel room, The Arizona Republic reported on its Web site Thursday night.

Chuck Artigue, the market manager for the Sandusky Group, which owns KUPD, said the prank "was in terribly bad taste" but no action would be taken against Duran.

Artigue said he talked to major league baseball officials and Arizona Diamondbacks president Rich Dozer to apologize.

A call by The Associated Press to the station on Thursday night was answered by a man who did not identify himself and referred all questions to the station manager on Friday.
"I'm vehement in saying that whoever is responsible should suffer serious and dire consequences," La Russa said. "If we could get our hands on them, we would deal with them physically. It was so brutal that something should happen to them. I hope whoever was responsible gets nailed."

Kile was found dead in his bed at the team's hotel in Chicago on June 22. An autopsy showed the 33-year-old pitcher died from blocked coronary arteries.

Some people have no concept of what is in poor taste.

Chris
Old 10-04-02, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

"I'm vehement in saying that whoever is responsible should suffer serious and dire consequences," La Russa said. "If we could get our hands on them, we would deal with them physically. It was so brutal that something should happen to them. I hope whoever was responsible gets nailed."

Yes, it was in extremely bad taste, I don't deny that. However, I have heard DJs say and do a whole lot worse then this.
Old 10-04-02, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think they knew it was poor taste. But that's what radio is all about -- poor taste draws massive ratings.
Old 10-04-02, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Ouch.
Old 10-04-02, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dee, tee ess... See?
I think they knew it was poor taste. But that's what radio is all about -- poor taste draws massive ratings.
There's poor taste and there's poor taste. How could anyone think it was remotely ok to do this in the name of "ratings" is beyond me.
Old 10-04-02, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk God

wow, and it wasnt a philly radio station?
Old 10-04-02, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Perhaps the DJ was simply attempting to take the focus of the fans off the miserable performance of the Diamondbacks and on to something else.
Old 10-04-02, 01:55 PM
Mod Emeritus

Re: DJs Prank On Darryl Kile's Widow Angers Cardinals Manager

Originally posted by mrpayroll

Chuck Artigue, the market manager for the Sandusky Group, which owns KUPD, said the prank "was in terribly bad taste" but we approve of it anyway.

Idiots.
Old 10-04-02, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm trying to figure out what part of this guys brain he was using when he said "Oh, this will be a good idea."
Old 10-04-02, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Three Day Delay
I'm trying to figure out what part of this guys brain he was using when he said "Oh, this will be a good idea."
the part that said, "there is no such thing as bad publicity, and this will be talked about on every news station and every internet forum tomorrow"
Old 10-04-02, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: DJs Prank On Darryl Kile's Widow Angers Cardinals Manager

Originally posted by mrpayroll
La Russa said. "If we could get our hands on them, we would deal with them physically. It was so brutal that something should happen to them. I hope whoever was responsible gets nailed."
[Geofferson][/Geofferson]
Old 10-04-02, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Hey, I have a good idea: let's call a widow up for a date on the radio, piss off the baseball team that is kicking our team's butt two games to zilch so that they'll sweep us and then blame me for firing them up. Yeah, that's the ticket! Sweet ratings!!!
Old 10-04-02, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

here's the DJs email [email protected]
Old 10-04-02, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, that is poor taste. But LaRussa's comments make him seem like an idiot, IMO. He's going to beat up some guy for saying something wrong. Okay Tony, just shut up and go "manage" your team to victory now.

Still how much can you fault a DJ for being an a-hole when he's basically paid to be an a-hole? A public apology should be enough.
Old 10-04-02, 04:21 PM
Moderator Emeritus

That article leaves out the rest of the things these lovely DJs did. Now calling up Flynn Kile is a crappy thing to do, and these guys suck for doing it, but starting up a rally across from the Cardinals hotel and chanting "Benes sucks" takes the cake. It would be so much fun if Andy gets to call the station up tomorrow and ask, "Who sucks now?"

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...0harass%20Kile's%20widow%20and%20Benes

PHOENIX -- The Cardinals contacted Major League Baseball security Thursday morning after at least one player and the widow of pitcher Darryl Kile were harassed by a local radio station.

During its morning drive segment, FM station KUPD held an impromptu rally across the street from the team's north Phoenix hotel. Led by a pair of shock jocks, a group of people followed pitcher Andy Benes to a nearby coffee shop while chanting "Benes Sucks! Benes Sucks!" The rally continued while Benes and two friends remained inside the establishment. When the party emerged, a station employee put a cell phone to Benes' head in an attempt to get him to go on the air.

Benes suggested the station instead call Diamondbacks lefthander Randy Johnson, saying, "Why don't you wake up Randy and tell him he sucks? We beat him 12-2."

Hotel security tried to have the rally dispersed but were told by police the request had to come from an adjoining office complex being used as a staging ground.

While the rally continued, the radio personalities phoned the team hotel and were put through to the room of Flynn Kile and spoke to her on air. The interview ended when disc jockey Beau Duran asked Kile's widow if she needed a date to the game.

"People are entitled to do what they want to do but, in my opinion, this crossed the line," Benes said.

Benes and numerous players from both clubs were livid over the "prank" played on Flynn Kile.

"If you ask me, the guy who asked her that should lose his job," Cardinals reliever Dave Veres said.

"Whoever is responsible should suffer serious and dire consequences," said Cardinals manager Tony La Russa. "If we could get our hands on him ... I mean, that is so brutal, that something really significant should happen to him."

News of the phone call spread quickly through the team, which had enjoyed spending time with Flynn Kile since she and her three children had moved from St. Louis to suburban San Diego shortly after her husband's June 22 death. Kile's agent, Barry Axelrod, notified the club that Flynn was not prepared to grant interviews. However, the radio station's call went unchecked.

Chuck Artigue, a manager for the radio station, told the Arizona Republic that the prank "was in terribly bad taste" but that no action would be taken against the disc jockey, Duran.

Artigue said Duran told Flynn Kile in the broadcast phone call that "we saw you on TV the other night, and you're very attractive. You're hot. Are you going to the game today?"

Artigue said that Duran then asked, "Do you have a date?" After saying goodbye, Flynn Kile hung up.

Cardinals officials said they have left dealings with the radio station to the Diamondbacks, who insisted that they will continue to seek action.
Old 10-04-02, 04:23 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Jericho
Wow, that is poor taste. But LaRussa's comments make him seem like an idiot, IMO. He's going to beat up some guy for saying something wrong. Okay Tony, just shut up and go "manage" your team to victory now.
I was a bit shocked to read those comments from Tony. Makes me think it was a just found out, open mouth insert foot kind of thing.
Old 10-04-02, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by AndyCapps
That article leaves out the rest of the things these lovely DJs did. Now calling up Flynn Kile is a crappy thing to do, and these guys suck for doing it, but starting up a rally across from the Cardinals hotel and chanting "Benes sucks" takes the cake.
No, the "Benes sucks" thing is kinda funny. I'm not about to cry for a ballplayer being heckled a bit.
Old 10-04-02, 04:41 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Aghama
No, the "Benes sucks" thing is kinda funny. I'm not about to cry for a ballplayer being heckled a bit.
Maybe. But calling someone up on the phone and harrassing them isn't like starting a rally, following someone into a coffee shop, and then sticking a cell phone to their head when they come out.

It's like with telemarketers. They call to annoy you, you hang up. What if they decided to get together outside your house, follow you around, chant "Buy our stuff!" while you sit down for breakfast, and then stick a cell phone to your head so someone can ask if it's ok to send you stuff?
Old 10-04-02, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

She is pretty hot though..

Old 10-04-02, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's sad. Just sad.
Old 10-04-02, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jericho
Wow, that is poor taste. But LaRussa's comments make him seem like an idiot, IMO. He's going to beat up some guy for saying something wrong.

Word.

Old 10-04-02, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bet that Tony's comment came after he saw firsthand how the call effected Flynn. Who knows how badly it hurt her? Or her children?
Old 10-04-02, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It is sick, it is in poor taste, but let's take a step back and consider the histrionics here. It was childish, but what is the longterm harm of their stupidity? She is scarred for life now? Should she sue?
Old 10-04-02, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Bushdog
It is sick, it is in poor taste, but let's take a step back and consider the histrionics here. It was childish, but what is the longterm harm of their stupidity? She is scarred for life now? Should she sue?
Should she sue? Of course not. Should the DJ lose his job? Absolutely, IMHO.

Last edited by LurkerDan; 10-05-02 at 02:33 AM.
Old 10-04-02, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by LurkerDan
Should she sue? Of course not. Should the DH lose his job? Absolutely, IMHO.
National League teams don't utilize the DH.

>

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.