Reload this Page >

Eric Crouch would only return to the NFL if he was a QB

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-04-02, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/1003/1440881.html

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Heisman Trophy winner Eric Crouch, who quit the St. Louis Rams three weeks ago, said Thursday he would consider returning to professional football if he can play quarterback.

The Rams drafted the former Nebraska quarterback last spring as a wide receiver.

"If I play again I'd definitely say it would be as a quarterback,'' Crouch said. "My whole life I've been a quarterback. I've molded myself that way.

"My best football is when the ball's in my hands and I have some control over what happens.''

Crouch left the Rams after playing in only one preseason game and seeing no regular-season action. Crouch said his decision was based primarily on lingering injuries, not because he was turned into a wide receiver.

Crouch, 23, said he has a serious thigh bruise and other nagging problems, including wear and tear on an ankle that will require surgery next week.

"I need to get away from it a little bit to get my health back,'' he said. "It's going to be a goal of mine to get back in shape.''

Crouch was the starting quarterback for three years at Nebraska. He said his body didn't respond well to practicing a new position in the NFL.

"The way I was playing wasn't up to the standard I thought I could play,'' he said. "It was just too hard to continue the way I was feeling.''

Crouch said he has no timeline for a return to professional football, but he said it will only be after he is healthy.

He said the odds of a return are 50-50.

And if he never played again?

"I'd be OK with that,'' Crouch said.

Crouch, drafted in the third round in April, quit the sport only nine months after playing in his last college game. The Cornhuskers lost that game against Miami in the Rose Bowl for the national championship 37-14.

The Huskers have struggled since Crouch left, falling to 3-2 and dropping out of the Top 25 for the first time since 1981. The team practiced on the field at Memorial Stadium as Crouch answered questions from reporters for more than 30 minutes.

The Rams took Crouch because of the potential they saw in him as a receiver and possibly a kick returner. Crouch's blazing speed led to 59 touchdowns rushing -- an NCAA record for a quarterback -- and 3,434 yards rushing, behind only Nebraska I-backs Mike Rozier and Ahman Green. Rozier also won the Heisman.

The Rams retain rights to Crouch if he chooses to return.

====================

Spare me the "he couldn't do any worse than Warner" remarks.

I think it's no coincidence that this story emerges after Warner's injury.

Personally, I think Crouch is a freakin' idiot. First he "retires" after never having played a single game in the NFL and now he says that he would only return if he can play QB.

There is no way in hell Crouch could ever be an NFL caliber QB. He needs to get his head out of his ass and realize that he doesn't have the arm or talent to be an NFL QB. He wasn't asked to throw very often at Nebraska so it would take him a very long time to learn how to read NFL defenses and progressions....I'd wager that he's even behind some college QBs in that department right now.

I hope he stays out of the NFL with that kind of attitude. Martz is an idiot for ever believing that Crouch could even be an NFL wide receiver.

Old 10-04-02, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk God

funny how he retired when he thought he had to play receiver.. but warner gets injured.. and all the sudden, he is interested again
Old 10-04-02, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by twikoff
funny how he retired when he thought he had to play receiver.. but warner gets injured.. and all the sudden, he is interested again
Yup. Surely the Rams can't be that desperate for a QB.

Old 10-04-02, 08:54 AM

If he is ok with not ever playing football again, then he is not the kind of guy to ever lead a team. What a shmuck!
Old 10-04-02, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Heisman curse continues
Old 10-04-02, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I would like to see Crouch come back as a QB, and let the NFL defensive lineman sack him back into the stone-age when Crouch would try running around as a QB. Running QBs without an arm don't last in the NFL.
Old 10-04-02, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You know, he could probably be a decent situational QB, like inside the 10 yard line.

Of course, the field is much bigger than that - so he's screwed.
Old 10-04-02, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A few years ago while Bobby Newcombe was still on the team they were competing for the starting QB spot. Eric Crouch came to Omaha to practice with some people and the local rumor is that he had quit the team and Solich had to come to Omaha and promise him the starting job before he would return. Thusly Newcombe took over punt return and WR jobs for his last 1 or 2 seasons. He doesn't sound like he has the heart to play in the NFL as a QB, he is a solid athlete though.
Old 10-04-02, 10:36 AM
Retired

I guess he's never coming back then since he can't throw the ball worth a damn.
Old 10-04-02, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

6'0", 190 lbs, 4.47 / 40

GL with that in the NFL

Similar to Eddie Kennison, it takes a long time for guys to regain respect for a guy who walks out on them. The chances of him every playing QB in the NFL are zero.
Old 10-04-02, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

CFL! CFL! CFL!
Old 10-04-02, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What an ass. I knew it when he announced his 'retirement'.

Good luck pitching used cars in Omaha bucko!
Old 10-04-02, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Eric can play in the arena football league.
Old 10-04-02, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Patman
CFL! CFL! CFL!
That really would be the perfect fit, wouldn't it?
Old 10-04-02, 01:27 PM
Banned

Originally posted by J-Dubya
A few years ago while Bobby Newcombe was still on the team they were competing for the starting QB spot. Eric Crouch came to Omaha to practice with some people and the local rumor is that he had quit the team and Solich had to come to Omaha and promise him the starting job before he would return. Thusly Newcombe took over punt return and WR jobs for his last 1 or 2 seasons.
Lame.
Old 10-05-02, 05:08 PM

1. This press conference was announced prior to Warner's injury. It was announced last week as he felt he owed Nebraska fans an explanation.

2. If you saw or actually heard his press conference you would've heard him emphasizing CFL or other opportunities to play QB. And he stated he'd ONLY return to football as a QB. He may or may not thinbk he can do it in the NFL but he clearly wants to play QB wherever he plays, if he ever does play again.

3. He's injured, he needs surgery, he doesn't want to take up a spot on a roster when he won't play and doesn't want to play the position they want him to play. Say what you want, but I doubt he turned down that money for any reason other than what he's stated.

4. If you'd ever met him and really spoke to him you'd realize he played football because he enjoyed it. If he wasn't enjoying WR, why should he continue on being miserable?

I agree he's not NFL QB material. Maybe he could've given a stronger committment to becoming a WR (but he was hurt...) And if I were in his position, I'd like to think I could turn down the money when I realized the job just didn't make me happy and wasn't the right fit for me.
Old 10-05-02, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jim_cook87
1. This press conference was announced prior to Warner's injury. It was announced last week as he felt he owed Nebraska fans an explanation.
Why does he owe Nebraska fans? That chapter of his life is over and done with. How about calling a press conference to explain yourself to the fans of the NFL team that drafted you and WASTED a 3rd round pick on you? He is/was a pro. He owes it to the fans of the pro team, not the Nebraska fans who wish he was still there because their team dropped out of the rankings for the first time in 368 weeks or whatever it was.

2. If you saw or actually heard his press conference you would've heard him emphasizing CFL or other opportunities to play QB. And he stated he'd ONLY return to football as a QB. He may or may not thinbk he can do it in the NFL but he clearly wants to play QB wherever he plays, if he ever does play again.
You've got me there because I didn't see his press conference. Still, he knew that when he was drafted that he was going to be asked to play WR. If he felt so strongly about playing the QB position, he shouldn't have let on to NFL scouts and teams that he would be okay playing WR. Had he been truthful from the start, no NFL team would've bothered with him and he could be playing in the CFL already.

3. He's injured, he needs surgery, he doesn't want to take up a spot on a roster when he won't play and doesn't want to play the position they want him to play. Say what you want, but I doubt he turned down that money for any reason other than what he's stated.
I give him props for giving back his signing bonus. I said as much in another thread that discussed his retirement. Still, the way this whole story has unfolded leaves me disappointed. Like I said, if he was so adamant about playing QB, he should've been upfront with NFL teams the way Antwaan Randle El said he'd be willing to make the change to WR, Woody Dantzler playing RB, and Steve Bellisari playing S (another wasted pick by Mike Martz and company, by the way).

4. If you'd ever met him and really spoke to him you'd realize he played football because he enjoyed it. If he wasn't enjoying WR, why should he continue on being miserable?
No, I've never met him and nor would I like to meet him. I'm still bitter that he won the Heisman. I'm also pissed that the Rams foolishly wasted a 3rd round pick on him. It's possible that he was honestly willing to give the WR position a shot and that he just later realized that he didn't or couldn't play the position. I don't know.

I agree he's not NFL QB material. Maybe he could've given a stronger committment to becoming a WR (but he was hurt...) And if I were in his position, I'd like to think I could turn down the money when I realized the job just didn't make me happy and wasn't the right fit for me.
Like I said, I respect that he returned his signing bonus. However, I also believe that most people in that situation would have given the money back, too. Whatever the case, if his dream is to be a professional QB, he won't be playing in the NFL any time soon. Maybe he can get more skilled playing in the CFL and make a return to the NFL later on down the line.

Old 10-05-02, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, leave the poor kid alone. He doesn't want to play WR in the NFL. What's so wrong about that? He tried; he didn't like it; he was honest about it; he gave back the money; and after everyone bitched and moaned about it, he held a press conference to further explain why he did it.

Just another case of hatred clouding judgment (assuming judgment existed to begin with). The guy never played a second of NFL football in any capacity, and everyone expects him to have been all-knowing and made blanket claims about his feelings before training camp ever started. At least he gave it a shot before deciding it wasn't right for him.

He could have played this any number of less respectable ways, but he chose the up-front and honest approach. And we're faulting him for that? Sad.

das
Old 10-05-02, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
das
Shaddup and go watch Buffy.

Old 10-05-02, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why does he owe Nebraska fans? That chapter of his life is over and done with. How about calling a press conference to explain yourself to the fans of the NFL team that drafted you and WASTED a 3rd round pick on you? He is/was a pro. He owes it to the fans of the pro team, not the Nebraska fans who wish he was still there because their team dropped out of the rankings for the first time in 368 weeks or whatever it was.
23yrs? in Nebraska. 6-7mos? in St. Louis.^ Jealous much?

You've got me there because I didn't see his press conference. Still, he knew that when he was drafted that he was going to be asked to play WR. If he felt so strongly about playing the QB position, he shouldn't have let on to NFL scouts and teams that he would be okay playing WR. Had he been truthful from the start, no NFL team would've bothered with him and he could be playing in the CFL already.
Can't blame the kid for wanting to take a shot at the NFL. How many here can claim to being drafted. Anyone?... ... Bueller?

I give him props for giving back his signing bonus. I said as much in another thread that discussed his retirement. Still, the way this whole story has unfolded leaves me disappointed. Like I said, if he was so adamant about playing QB, he should've been upfront with NFL teams the way Antwaan Randle El said he'd be willing to make the change to WR, Woody Dantzler playing RB, and Steve Bellisari playing S (another wasted pick by Mike Martz and company, by the way).
I'm not so sure he was adamant about it then. He was given an opportunity to play in the NFL, he decided he didn't like it. I saw a replay of the play where he got hurt. I think I would have second thoughts as well.

No, I've never met him and nor would I like to meet him. I'm still bitter that he won the Heisman. I'm also pissed that the Rams foolishly wasted a 3rd round pick on him. It's possible that he was honestly willing to give the WR position a shot and that he just later realized that he didn't or couldn't play the position. I don't know.
So know we get to the real reason. Can't remember, you a Raider or and Aggie?

Like I said, I respect that he returned his signing bonus. However, I also believe that most people in that situation would have given the money back, too. Whatever the case, if his dream is to be a professional QB, he won't be playing in the NFL any time soon. Maybe he can get more skilled playing in the CFL and make a return to the NFL later on down the line.
I doubt if too many first year players would willingly return their jock straps. Maybe you've got some examples? I think he's definitely considering the CFL route. Who knows, it worked for Garcia.

Last edited by linear D; 10-05-02 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-05-02, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by linear D
23yrs? in Nebraska. 6-7mos? in St. Louis.^ Jealous much?

Can't blame the kid for wanting to take a shot at the NFL. How many here can claim to being drafted. Anyone?... ... Bueller?

I'm not so sure he was adamant about it then. He was given an opportunity to play in the NFL, he decided he didn't like it. I saw a replay of the play where he got hurt. I think I would have second thoughts as well.

So know we get to the real reason. Can't remember, you a Raider or and Aggie?

I doubt if too many first year players would willingly return their jock straps. Maybe you've got some examples? I think he's definitely considering the CFL route. Who knows, it worked for Garcia.
I know he's worshipped in Nebraska, but the reason I said that he owed it to St. Louis was because they drafted him (high) and as a professional athlete, your ties should be to the professional team who paid you. Forget about your college fans.

I'm neither an Aggie or a Red Raider. I thought that Rex Grossman had a superior year statistically and that he deserved the award over Crouch.

Old 10-05-02, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with das, so he doesn't want to play in the NFL as a wide receiver. He returned his signing bonus and retired, I think that's admirable. There's people in the NFL that get millions for doing nothing. Ryan Leaf got an umpteen million dollar signing bonus, did nothing in the NFL, and will never have to work again. If Crouch's heart wasn't in it, then he shouldn't play. Most guys wouldn't have the nads to turn down the money.
Old 10-06-02, 12:57 AM

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
I know he's worshipped in Nebraska, but the reason I said that he owed it to St. Louis was because they drafted him (high) and as a professional athlete, your ties should be to the professional team who paid you. Forget about your college fans.
As a native Nebraskan that stayed in state, won the Heisman and led NU to the Rose Bowl he's guaranteed to always be VERY gainfully employed in the state. So long as he doesn't disown the state or slap the loyal Nebraska fans in the face he'll make far more money in his life then his NFL contract was worth.