Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Players that are a**holes and the fans that love them!

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-03-02, 11:35 PM
Banned

I was reading a thread about someone criticizing Keyshawn Johnson and Randy Moss and then saying I feel bad for anyone that's a fan of them. That person is obviously not a fan. Let me tell you something Keyshawn maybe an a**hole but us Buc fans love him! He's a Buccaneer we root for everyone on the team. He still catches the ball, he seems to have some problems with Gruden but that's between him and Jon. As an outsider one could easily criticize a player but us fans still root for them every sunday. So unless your a Bucs fan, mind your own damn business!
Old 10-03-02, 11:41 PM
Premium Member

25% of season is OVER... Keyshawn Johnson = 0 TDS!

and a bit over 4 catches per game, and almost 60 yds per game!

whatever... move on...

Last edited by The Cow; 10-03-02 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-04-02, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Everyone pretty much hates Barry Bonds except for Giants fans like me.

All those boo's all the time... yet they all take pictures just the same.
Old 10-04-02, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by The Cow
25% of season is OVER... Keyshawn Johnson = 0 TDS!

and a bit over 4 catches per game, and almost 60 yds per game!
Yeah, Keyshawn has been killing my fantasy team with his brutal play. I'm benching his ass this week in favor of Donald Driver, a guy I picked out of free agency.
Old 10-04-02, 09:19 AM

Rooting for self-righteous pin-heads just condones their attitude. Moss and Keyshawn will never be as good as their image because they are too full of it to develop with the team. Once your own team sees you getting special treatment, you are no longer a part of the team. Team dynamics are crucial in every sport, so your support of Keyshawn is just hurting the Bucs. The coach is ALWAYS right, no matter who you are (with the exception of Martz )
Old 10-04-02, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gary Sheffield
Bill Romanowski
Dennis Rodman
Allen Iverson
Shannon Sharpe

Of course, Bonds and Moss.
Old 10-04-02, 10:08 AM

The biggest one of all
Albert "Joey" Belle while in Cleveland.
Old 10-04-02, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't like "jerk" players that have to shake their a$$ and strut everytime they get a tackle. Then they make up sweet little dances in case it's a really GOOD arm-tackle. These guys make me sick.

Nothing makes me happier than to see a guy score a big TD, then hand the ball off to the referee and run back to the sidelines, or kneel and pray. Even the Lambeau Leap is okay since they're chilling with the fans. Guys that do some dances or go the goalpost like that prick in Dallas suck and deserve to break their legs.
Old 10-04-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mnguye10
Everyone pretty much hates Barry Bonds except for Giants fans like me.

All those boo's all the time... yet they all take pictures just the same.
I like Barry and I'm not a Giants fan. I just appreciate absolute, mind-blowing athletic greatness, and right now, the guy is playing a different game than the rest of MLB.
Old 10-04-02, 11:23 AM
veritas

Bonds doesn't like sportswriters and doesn't get along with Jeff Kent. Sounds like a man with good taste.

All the guy has ever done is work hard and play well enough to be one of the best ten players in the history of the game. While Tony "Good Guy" Gwynn was pounding Quarter Pounders with Cheese, Bonds was in the gym extending his career. No one in the game is more dedicated to hard work than Bonds.

On the field, the worst thing he's done is charge the mound after being plunked or get into a fistfight with Kent after Jeffy slammed David Bell's defense to his face. Worst thing he's ever done off the field is have his wife sign a prenup when they married in '88.

Huh? The guy doesn't cheat on his taxes, bet on games, beat his wife, father illegitimate children, throw baseballs at spectators, squirt reporters with bleach, chase trick-or-treaters down the street in an SUV, or douse Tim McCarver with ice water. All he does is growl at the press and live his life like a decent human being.

Old 10-04-02, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

how about 90% of the NBA?!?!?! Bunch of punkass beotches

Seriously though....the attitudes and showboating of the NBA have completely turned me off of professional basketball....i could care less anymore. It has gotten downright boring. Give me the college game any day.
Old 10-04-02, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk God

a player from the past who fits - Willie Mays
Old 10-04-02, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by veritasNo one in the game is more dedicated to hard work than Bonds.

And, certainly, no one is more dedicated to the use of performance enhancing substances than Bonds.
Old 10-04-02, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by veritas
On the field, the worst thing he's done is charge the mound after being plunked or get into a fistfight with Kent after Jeffy slammed David Bell's defense to his face.
I have never liked bonds simply for the way he hits homeruns. When you hit a ball, there is no reason to drop the bat and drool over yourself. Just run the bases. I love when he drops his bat and starts to slowly trot only to realize that the ball will hit off the wall. Bonds has always hada "Holier than thou" attitude that has turned me off. I am not denying that he is in a different league than the rest of the MLB.
Old 10-04-02, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by classicman2
And, certainly, no one is more dedicated to the use of performance enhancing substances than Bonds.
not since big mac retired, at least
Old 10-04-02, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe, maybe not. That's the problem with baseball these days, it's too easy to try players in the court of public opinion.

Regardless, steroids don't help you hit a baseball, they just help you to hit it farther. What Bonds has done as far as *hitting*(i.e. his eye and patience at the plate) I don't think can be traced to steroids, even if he's taking them.
Old 10-04-02, 01:55 PM
veritas

Prosecuting someone without a fair trial? How uncharacteristic. :laugh:

Old 10-04-02, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by veritas
Prosecuting someone without a fair trial? How uncharacteristic. :laugh:
I'm not prosecuting - just stating what is obvious to everyone.
Old 10-04-02, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spree.

Oh wait... Does anyone love Latrell Sprewell?
Old 10-04-02, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I also like Bonds, though not as much as say 5 years ago. Still, I often find myself liking the guys the media hates (I always liked Albert Belle and generally like Keyshawn Johnson). Some are true a-holes, but some just don't know how to handle the media or just don't care.

Alex Rodriguez (my favorite baseball player) is pretty good at being the nice guy, smile all the time, complement everyone player that the media likes. That's okay I suppose, but I know it's not the truth. But image sells and if you're a good guy and want to sell a good guy image then so be it. I do hate it though when a-holes try to sell themselves with a good image. I always thought Karl Malone fell into that categorey. At least someone like Keyshawn at least is himself instead of some act.

Another guy I like that I think is considered an a-hole is Terrell Owens. Sometimes I think players like Owens get a bad rap because they know they're good and just want the ball. He may not get along with his teammates off the field, but he's a good player on it, throwing blocks, catching passes and so forth. And yeah he gets into it with the coach sometimes, but no ones perfect.

Also, sometimes players get pointed on for one incident. Say Roberto Alomar. The spitting incident wasn't good, but all reports I've read the umpire really helped provoke it. I'd expect most players to just lose it once in a while if proded enough, since no one is perfect. It's repeated actions that really tell a person's true nature.
Old 10-04-02, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Bad Boys

Isiah Thomas, one of the alltime NBA scumbags, Laimbeer, Rodman, et al (save Dumars).
Old 10-04-02, 06:12 PM
Banned

Rasheed Wallace is my all-time favorite basketball player. Sure, he's a whiner, but so am I.
Old 10-05-02, 03:20 AM
veritas

I'm not prosecuting - just stating what is obvious to everyone.
Ahh, the old "obvious to everyone " workaround. Nice. Funny how it wasn't obvious to everyone in 2000.

And isn't it obvious to everyone that Luis Gonzalez, Sammy Sosa, Mike Piazza, Derek Jeter, Mike Matheny, Fernando Tatis, Roger Clemens, and Eric Chavez are abusers?

Obvious to everyone.