Hi-Ho!!
Not Yet Qualified
Overpaid Players Jenn's Boys
The Deadites Borst's Bombers
Champaign Cornpickers Tiny Little Balls
The Rockies
Old 10-03-02, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by twikoff
yea.. i figure you dont get many chances at a measuring stick, as good as this..

we are going to train our rookies identical for awhile.. just to compare with each other.. but i figure we can keep an eye on their gains, to get a pretty good feel for about what level all the other players are at..

I was thinking 3 full pies at each skill (except pitching.. i really dont want to consider the idea that the rookie might be a pitcher ).. and see how he compares to the rest of the team.. then change his routine from there
Are you going to do 3 contact, 3 skill and 3 power? Or just combine some of the hitting?

And like you, I just don't want to see if they are awesome pitchers or not. I really like my set up with A.C. pitching and blasting homers. But I suppose at some point I ought to, just to be thorough...
Old 10-03-02, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In 3rd Division, there's a race for 1st place between Overpaid Players and Thunderchickens...

Who do you think they'll secure the 1st place tomorrow?
Old 10-03-02, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by DarkElf
Are you going to do 3 contact, 3 skill and 3 power? Or just combine some of the hitting?
3 of each, probably.. i figure there is no rush at all.. because lisa NEVER would have been a starter..

Ill probably do 3 contact.. 3 skill.. and then 3 power..
doing power earlier, would probably be a waste.. since its assumed that they gain less power, when they keep swinging and missing in the red cage...
but I definitly want a well rounded batter.. that is one thing I can say about standard trainer.. it forces you to build so pretty damn well rounded batters.. i almost would consider trying some batting training in ST, if i could see their gains.
Old 10-03-02, 10:13 PM

DarkElf or twikoff,
Rookie question: Do you think that 3 full pies is enough? I was planning on giving a rookie at least 5 full pies in each skill. Is that too much? My reasoning is that it is exactly what I did with my practice team, if not more pie, and they zoomed to 8*. Just curious.
Old 10-03-02, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by twikoff
3 of each, probably.. i figure there is no rush at all.. because lisa NEVER would have been a starter..

Ill probably do 3 contact.. 3 skill.. and then 3 power..
doing power earlier, would probably be a waste.. since its assumed that they gain less power, when they keep swinging and missing in the red cage...
Same here. 3 on each hitting skill. And power will be last as you stated.

I'll keep track of all gains and we should compare. I'm starting batting skill tonight...
Old 10-03-02, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by Pharoh
DarkElf or twikoff,
Rookie question: Do you think that 3 full pies is enough? I was planning on giving a rookie at least 5 full pies in each skill. Is that too much? My reasoning is that it is exactly what I did with my practice team, if not more pie, and they zoomed to 8*. Just curious.
Enough for what? Depends on what your goal is initially with the rookies.

I'm trying to see what they're going to be good at, and also how they compare with each other. I'm fortunate that I have a new lefty as a 3rd player to add to the comparison because I already know what that guy is capable of in the hitting categories. He's my measuring stick for the two rookies.

But if you want to get them into the lineup, no, 3 full pies isn't nearly enough. I'll worry about the additional training (beyond 3 pies for each skill) once I can begin to identify where they'll fit in on the team.
Old 10-03-02, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I jus t started my game against doug... I am going to bed because I have to be to work in 4 and 1/2 hrs... I will submit my score before work. Thanks...

Shadow
Old 10-03-02, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by DarkElf
Enough for what? Depends on what your goal is initially with the rookies.

I'm trying to see what they're going to be good at, and also how they compare with each other. I'm fortunate that I have a new lefty as a 3rd player to add to the comparison because I already know what that guy is capable of in the hitting categories. He's my measuring stick for the two rookies.

But if you want to get them into the lineup, no, 3 full pies isn't nearly enough. I'll worry about the additional training (beyond 3 pies for each skill) once I can begin to identify where they'll fit in on the team.
Even enough for ascertaining their skill potential. Do you think, for example, that 3 full pies in power will be enough to determine if that guy will be a homerun hitter. I am curious because I never tracked skill gains in the begining and am fairly clueless as to what is expected early on in a players life.
Old 10-03-02, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by Pharoh
Even enough for ascertaining their skill potential. Do you think, for example, that 3 full pies in power will be enough to determine if that guy will be a homerun hitter. I am curious because I never tracked skill gains in the begining and am fairly clueless as to what is expected early on in a players life.
Well, I think 3 is enough at first, but 5 is okay too. I happened to choose 3 b/c that was enough to get them ranked amongst my starters for the skills.

The way I figure, these guys make huge gains in the first few pies, so I'll rotate them through all the skills. After that time, they'll have had several days for their skills to decay, which is the 2nd consideration in determining what they're best at. But certainly, additional training will make your assessment all the more certain.

So far, I see that one of my rookies is going to have problems with hitting skill. That tells me right off the bat he probably won't be a huge home run hitter. Probably could put up decent power numbers (assuming his power training proves fruitful), but wouldn't be among my team's leaders. That's good b/c I need guys to get me singles and doubles, not fly balls in the Fox Stadium...

But this is just the way I'm approaching it. There's always more than one way to do anything.
Old 10-04-02, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lets go Who's Zoo, its after 12:00! Come to the BrickYard
Old 10-04-02, 12:05 AM

Damn, I think I may have just maxed out a guy (Earl) in throwing. Hadn't done that before. The furthest he threw (that I noticed) was 180 feet. But since several on my team is within 5 points of Earl, I'm in pretty good shape in this category.
Old 10-04-02, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by The Governor
Lets go Who's Zoo, its after 12:00! Come to the BrickYard
i'll be there in a minute or so .

finishing up a game.
don't forget the time frame is 12:00 pacific time.
Old 10-04-02, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-04-02, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm leaving for a couple conferences tomorrow, so my team will be on vacation. I'm using a holiday ticket, so hopefully my team will still be semi-decent when I return on Wednesday.
Old 10-04-02, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by whotony
oops i put the score in backwards.

i won 3-0 not lost 3-0.
hopefully someone can fix that who does that stuff.
Old 10-04-02, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Smallball is evil. Fun, but evil.

Not only is it taking up a good portion of my conscience life, day-dreaming about Don Vito hitting homers, but now it's taking up part of my subconscience life.

The past three days in a row I've had dreams about smallball. But today I took a nap on the couch and I talked about it in my sleep. I vaguely remember doing so, but my dad who was sitting in the chair nearby confirmed it.

I had pushed myself up on my pillows, yelled "NINE RUNS IN ONE INNING," then laid down again.

That's normal....right? I mean, all of you have Smallball dreams too...don't you?

Old 10-04-02, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If you're not dreaming about smallball, you're just not giving 100%.
Old 10-04-02, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

damn you Who's Zoo and your big left field walled stadium! It cost me a 3 run homerun in the first and the game, you won 2-0
Old 10-04-02, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Borst
damn you Who's Zoo and your big left field walled stadium! It cost me a 3 run homerun in the first and the game, you won 2-0
How did he lose a run after the first? That IS a crappy stadium
Old 10-04-02, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by WhoGirl
Smallball is evil. Fun, but evil.

Not only is it taking up a good portion of my conscience life, day-dreaming about Don Vito hitting homers, but now it's taking up part of my subconscience life.

The past three days in a row I've had dreams about smallball. But today I took a nap on the couch and I talked about it in my sleep. I vaguely remember doing so, but my dad who was sitting in the chair nearby confirmed it.

I had pushed myself up on my pillows, yelled "NINE RUNS IN ONE INNING," then laid down again.

That's normal....right? I mean, all of you have Smallball dreams too...don't you?

That's still not as bad as dreaming about programming. I've done that a couple of times trying to figure out how to code something.
Old 10-04-02, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Thor Simpson
How did he lose a run after the first? That IS a crappy stadium
It was a 3 run homerun for me if we weren't in that stadium, it hit high off the wall and would have been gone in the intel park (course he might have score more there also i didnt watch closely)
Old 10-04-02, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by whotony
i'll be there in a minute or so .

finishing up a game.
don't forget the time frame is 12:00 pacific time.
Oh I know the time frame, I was just anxious to see how my guys did in the new stadium for the 1st time. Did you watch the game?
Old 10-04-02, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by The Governor
Oh I know the time frame, I was just anxious to see how my guys did in the new stadium for the 1st time. Did you watch the game?
looks like we initiate games against each other today
Ill be at work in 15 or 20 minutes and catch you on IM then
we can try to work out the games to play back to back, so we can watch.. if you want
although, Id rather hold off on playing till around lunch.. if thats cool
Old 10-04-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dancinns
That's still not as bad as dreaming about programming. I've done that a couple of times trying to figure out how to code something.
As long as it's for the DTSL site we won't be mad.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright ę 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.