Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

REMINDER -- Profanity (Must Read if You Like to Cuss)

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-02-02, 06:28 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Lately we've noticed an increase in the number of people who think they are being cute by circumventing the profanity filter. We do not appreciate having to always keep an eye out for this and having to edit posts. We know that this isn't on the level of making personal attacks, but the forum censor is used to help make the forum a fun place for as many people as possible. Getting around the censor takes away from that goal.

If a word like **** or **** or ******* appears as asterisks when you type it normally, it is not meant to be posted on these forums. Yes, you can use blank HTML tags to defeat the filter. That does not make it OK, you are still in violation of the rules regarding profanity.

Let's say that the word bark is blocked by the censor and normally appears as **** if you type it normally. It would not be acceptable to post any of the following:

bark (contains empty HTML tags to defeat the filter)
b a r k
b-a-r-k
B A R K
B-A-R-K
barque (misspelled to get around the filter, but can be prononuced the same as bark)
bar|< (using symbols to get around the filter)
barkky (form of bark considered profanity but not caught by filter because bark can be part of words like Barkake mushrooms)

We will begin issuing warnings for getting around the filter in this way. Repeated infractions may result in a suspension, or worse if you already have strikes against you. Profanity such as "BARK YOU" used as a personal attack will still result in an immediate suspension.

Last edited by AndyCapps; 10-04-02 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-02-02, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well this is bulls{b}{/b}...

ahh n/m.
Old 10-02-02, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey I also thought personal threads directed toward one user weren't allowed here anymore.
Old 10-02-02, 08:54 PM
Moderator Emeritus

You don't really think I would go to the trouble of starting a thread if it just involved one user, do you? If that were the case, I wouldn't have included the last seven examples.
Old 10-03-02, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The hypocrisy that says "****" is unacceptable, but "crap" is OK is a little silly. That has nothing to do with this forum, just an observation on swearing in general.

Like you're not swearing when you say "gosh darnit" or "holy flurking shnit" or "this freaking sucks" - inventing fake words or bastardizing real ones to replace their counterparts is somehow better?

Silly.

Anyway, just to be clear, it's OK to use the filter appropriately, right? Like I can still say, "Michael Ei$ner is a ****wad" so long as the censor catches it?

das
Old 10-03-02, 07:40 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by das Monkey
Anyway, just to be clear, it's OK to use the filter appropriately, right? Like I can still say, "Michael Ei$ner is a ****wad" so long as the censor catches it?
Of course.
Old 10-03-02, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess I will have to find something else to use as an adjactive, no more referring to the "Barking guy that cut me off" and such.
Old 10-03-02, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
Apparently, you can also have the username of D.Phucktard!
Old 10-04-02, 03:51 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by LurkerDan
Apparently, you can also have the username of D.Phucktard!
Not anymore.