DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Sports Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk-31/)
-   -   ESPN Power Rankings (NBA) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk/240642-espn-power-rankings-nba.html)

RaptorsFan 10-01-02 06:48 PM

ESPN Power Rankings (Bball)

What's up with the Pacers at #7? Last time I looked they have J O'Neal and after that they pretty much suck.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/powerr...on=2003&week=1

1 Lakers 58-24 Not that they're worried about Shaq's toe, but the thrice-defending champs have flirted with Ike Austin
2 Kings 61-21 Make that two hangovers to dig out of for the league's deepest team and only proven threat to the champs: Game 7 and Chris Webber's legal cloud
3 Spurs 58-24 Now sporting an all-world backcourt (Parker and Ginobili), they've gotten a little better (if Admiral's healthy)
4 Mavericks 57-25 After a (too) quiet summer, Nellie insists camp will be nothing but defense. Yet some things never change; sources say Nash's hair is longer than EVER
5 Nets 52-30 If not quite beastly, they're the only Leasterners who belong up this high
6 Hornets 44-38 Couldn't have had a better summer -- re-signing Baron and getting back Mash -- and rumor has it folks might actually go to their games
7 Pacers 42-40 Too talented to be Indy .500 for a third straight season. Right, Isiah?
8 Timberwolves 50-32 Billups bolted for Detroit, Wally's still here with KG, and Brandon's career might be over. In other words, book another season in first-round purgatory
9 SuperSonics 45-37 Everybody's back except the one guy everyone wanted out: Vin Baker. Of course, with GP in a contract year, there will be a ticking sound
10 Clippers 39-43 On talent alone they're top 7. Problem is, a whopping nine guys -- nine! -- are playing for new contracts next summer. Not great for ball movement
11 Celtics 49-33 With new owners coming and Larry Bird scenarios flying around, optimism is high. Then someone points out that Pierce, Walker and Baker don't have a point guard to make sure they share the ball
12 Pistons 50-32 All the focus on what Stack didn't do during the Boston series obscures everything he accomplished during a 50-win season. Detroit will miss him and, like the Celts, could slide some
13 Raptors 42-40 Starting here, with VC's quest for redemption, the following 10 or so teams could probably go in any order
14 Magic 44-38 Call it Camp Comeback: Grant Hill, Shawn Kemp and even T-Mac (remember his back woes?) lead the search for health and happiness
15 Wizards 37-45 Ol' No. 23 is pushing 40, but with any dependable size -- word is they're holding off on Charles Oakley -- they'd be a playoff lock
16 Jazz 44-38 You could say this will be the year Stockton-to-Malone finally ages, especially since the Jazz lost some key pieces ... but you get tired of saying that every year and being wrong
17 Rockets 28-54 Talent ain't the problem in Houston. It's getting Yao to Houston. Then getting him up to NBA speed. And then getting Stevie and Cat to pass Yao the ball
18 76ers 43-39 AI, DC, Larry and Van Horn ... all in the same locker room. Safe to say Brown's Hall of Fame honeymoon ended Sunday at midnight
19 Bucks 41-41 At some point, Furious George Karl's luck has to turn. We'll see if dumping Big Dog for nothing raises or lowers the odds
20 Hawks 33-49 Hawks look like playoff contenders on paper, which is exactly what we wrote last season. Which is why they're stuck down here as a prove-it-to-me team now
21 Suns 36-46 Who has the most to prove in the desert? Stephon Marbury? Frank Johnson? Bryan Colangelo? Is Penny Hardaway too far gone to prove stuff??
22 Trail Blazers 49-33 Blazers are in midseason form already: Damon wants to start ... Daniels and McInnis want their minutes at PG ... and Bonzi isn't signed ... but his three backups are in wait (Anderson, Patterson and rookie Qyntel Woods)
23 Knicks 30-52 At least in the East, they're not far away from stepping up into the above jumble. Of course, that's assuming that Dice's knee is sound and that the PG play is passable
24 Bulls 21-61 East's Team of the Future can't get to the future fast enough. Jay Williams would have to have a Tony Parker-type rookie season (or better) to get Chicago back in the playoffs
25 Heat 36-46 Zo, sadly, is gone for the season, but Riles still hates the sound of the R word (Rebuilding). He won't like a second straight lottery season any better
26 Grizzlies 23-59 If they ultimately win the battle with Minnesota to earn relocation to the Eastern Conference, the season will be a success. As far as miracles go, that might be the best Jerry West can deliver in Year 1
27 Warriors 21-61 Dunleavy and Welsch are top prospects and Musselman is a workaholic. And the league's longest playoff drought (eight seasons and counting) is more than safe
28 Cavaliers 29-53 It's a team built for SportsCenter with Miles, Wagner and Davis. It's also a team built for landing the No. 1 pick and a shot at Ohio's own LeBron James, but we all know the Cavs aren't known for being lucky
29 Nuggets 27-55 With a shot at James, to go with their oodles of cap room coming next summer, Kiki's Nugz

El Scorcho 10-01-02 07:10 PM

Blazers at #22? :rolleyes:

They're bad, but they're not bottom-10 bad.

Dave99 10-01-02 07:48 PM

Pacers haven't played well the last couple of years, but they do have some good talent, just not name-brand type of people. Not enough to get to the finals, but should be top 3 or so in the eastern.

Dave

twikoff 10-01-02 09:14 PM

:lol:

could their possibly be a more useless ranking?

preseason power rankings??

rotfl

popcorn 10-01-02 09:23 PM

RaptorFan, good to see ya talking b-ball again. I can't agree with twikoff more on this one. Unless you're gearing up your fantasy basketball league I would wait to see what happens in pre-season. There are too many x-factors right now to say how teams will perform at the beginning of the season.

Now back to the Yankees ;)

tofu 10-01-02 10:14 PM

woohoo!! Warriors @ #27.

That means cheap tickets to sit wherever I want because nobody else will be there :D

POWERBOMB 10-01-02 10:19 PM

Mav's @ 4. Will this be the friggin' year?

mnguye10 10-01-02 10:51 PM

Originally posted by tofu
woohoo!! Warriors @ #27.

That means cheap tickets to sit wherever I want because nobody else will be there :D

Hey that's what I do! $10 tickets and move down to the lower bowl! Woohoo! I love going to Warriors games even though they suck.... haha... at least they've gotten younger and should be more fun to watch this year.

popcorn 10-02-02 12:15 AM

At #23 I still can't afford Knicks tickets... :(

dancinns 10-02-02 01:55 AM

Originally posted by D.Phucktard!

I agree. They're still better than half the teams in the Eastern Conference.

twikoff 10-02-02 07:06 AM

Originally posted by D.Phucktard!

well.. if you notice what it says by the raptors

the following 10 or so teams could probably go in any order
so basically.. its just a 10 way tie for #13 ;)

RaptorsFan 10-02-02 10:47 AM

Originally posted by popcorn
RaptorFan, good to see ya talking b-ball again. I can't agree with twikoff more on this one. Unless you're gearing up your fantasy basketball league I would wait to see what happens in pre-season. There are too many x-factors right now to say how teams will perform at the beginning of the season.

Now back to the Yankees ;)

Dude I hate baseball and all the **** here is hockey this and cbc that.

I need to get back into ball.