Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

FSU cites traffic, cancels Thu/Fri classes for "Bowden Bowl IV"

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-01-02, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank goodness it's not a Wednesday game, or they might have cancelled the whole week.
Florida State lets classes out for Thursday night home game

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- Florida State has called off classes for Thursday and Friday, anticipating campus traffic problems because of Thursday night's home football game.

Bowden Bowl IV kicks off at 7:45 p.m. with Bobby Bowden's Seminoles taking on son Tommy Bowden's Clemson Tigers.

Fans will be coming into the stadium just as state workers leave their jobs only a few blocks away.

School officials claim the early "fall break'' has been in the works for several years and this was a good opportunity to get it started.

"The game will involve more than 80,000 fans coming to campus during the day,'' President Talbot "Sandy'' D'Alemberte said. "A fall break seemed to be the answer for both the long-term and short-term challenges.''

It's the second time Florida State will play at home on Thursday night. The Seminoles defeated Louisville 51-7 in 1983 in their first weeknight home game.

D'Alemberte, who is retiring early next year, said no more home weeknight games will be scheduled during a period when classes are also scheduled.

The 11th-ranked Seminoles (4-1) lost 26-20 in overtime at Louisville last Thursday night.
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news/a...t-classes.html
Old 10-01-02, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk God

That's great. Football trumps education. What the heck do they need to cancel Friday classes for??? Will it take 10 hours for the parking lots to empty?
Old 10-01-02, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why am I not surprised. Like it matters. The terms "classes" and "education" are pretty loose to begin with at F$U.

das
Old 10-01-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just freakin' deal with the traffic jam.
Old 10-01-02, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From experience going to football games at the Doak....

That is an IMPOSSIBLE city to deal with on game days. The only place that's worse in my experience is Gainesville.

And besides, Florida schools don't have a fall break. I had a week-long fall break when I went to school in NC. A two day break isn't a horrible thing.
Old 10-01-02, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk God

isnt this normal?

back when i was in school.. when there was a thursday game.. we all just assumed classes would be cancelled that day..
sometimes the morning classes would go on as scheduled.. but by lunch, most profs. had cancelled their classes...

of course.. we did have to be in class on friday
Old 10-01-02, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's fall break?

We get two days off for Thanksgiving. Is that considered fall break or is there another break involved?

I want my fall break!
Old 10-01-02, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Truthfully though ... if Thursday classes are cancelled but not Friday ... not many students are going to class on Friday. (Especially at a huge school like FSU, where there are many, many auditorium classes where nobody cares if you go to class or not)

Last edited by WildcatLH; 10-01-02 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-01-02, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BigDave
What's fall break?

We get two days off for Thanksgiving. Is that considered fall break or is there another break involved?

I want my fall break!
No, that's Thanksgiving break. Fall break is Fall break.

We get one day here at Syracuse. One friggin day. And it's a Friday. And I have no classes Fridays anyways.
Old 10-01-02, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by twikoff

sometimes the morning classes would go on as scheduled.. but by lunch, most profs. had cancelled their classes...

I can see them doing this. Cancel classes after noon on Thursday. No need to cancel Thu morning classes and Friday classes. That makes no sense. Plus do you really want to encourage tailgating starting Thursday morning, which is what I presume will happen now.
Old 10-01-02, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Red Dog
Plus do you really want to encourage tailgating starting Thursday morning, which is what I presume will happen now.
down here.. tailgating starts on tuesday, for a saturday game
Old 10-01-02, 01:12 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by WildcatLH
Truthfully though ... if Thursday classes are cancelled but not Friday ... not many students are going to class on Friday. (Especially at a huge school like FSU, where there are many, many auditorium classes where nobody cares if you go to class or not)
If not many students are going to classes anyway, then why bother officially cancelling them? Just keep the classes going and let those who go normally go and let those who don't ... don't.
Old 10-01-02, 01:30 PM
Mod Emeritus

What's fall break?

I want my fall break!

It's that day or two or more in the fall that are kinda like that week in the spring... note that it's a day off for *students* though, not for staff. So, at least here, it's just another working day.
Old 10-01-02, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who the hell goes to FSU for an education anyway?

Old 10-01-02, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

We get a week off for fall break Only Three Weeks away
Old 10-01-02, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The university in my town has a fall break this week. They get off Thursday and Friday, then they get to take midterms when they return!
Old 10-01-02, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Red Dog
Plus do you really want to encourage tailgating starting Thursday morning, which is what I presume will happen now.
Have you ever experienced college football in the south? People leave on friday to go to games on Saturday. And for Florida/Georgia here in Jax....fans start arriving with their RVs on tuesday for the saturday kickoff.
Old 10-01-02, 07:14 PM
Retired

What's fall break?

I want my fall break!
That sucks, all the colleges I've went to give the whole week off for thanksgiving.
Old 10-01-02, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk God

alot of universities that are on the quarter system.. work it out so that you get off for thanksgiving and dont go back till after the first of the year

at auburn.. we always had to go back for like a week.. and they had talked about working it so we could just stay gone for the whole time.. but they said there was some problem with financial aid, if you got a whole month off..
Old 10-01-02, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Iron Chef
Who the hell goes to FSU for an education anyway?

Hey now. It is a decent school. My sister just graduated from there.
Old 10-01-02, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by WildcatLH
Hey now. It is a decent school. My sister just graduated from there.
yea.. according to this months playboy.. its the #14 party school in the country
Old 10-01-02, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why not have Sunday classes prior to the game?
Old 10-01-02, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is the first I've heard about this...and I go to law school at FSU. (Our classes aren't cancelled, though I would have liked them to be).

The town is a mess when there's a home game, so perhaps they're hoping to promote the safety of the students that live nearby in terms of traffic, since thousands of cars will go speeding through the streets which these kids take to get to class.

TruGator -- amen to world's largest outdoor cocktail party in Jax man! I won't be able to make it this year, but I hope my boys put a whooping on Rexy!!
All the joking about "sports trumps education" aside, anyone that says they wouldn't be happy to have Thursday/Friday classes cancelled is a better man than I....
Old 10-03-02, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The traffic on the campus looks horrendous!!!

Image courtesy: http://www.fsu.edu/Webcam/westcott/
Live picture taken 16:43 EDT, 3 Oct 2002.

Are you enjoying your day off, 'Noles?

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 10-03-02 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-03-02, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by twikoff
down here.. tailgating starts on tuesday, for a saturday game
Ahem, brother!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.