DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Sports Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk-31/)
-   -   WWE Raw: It's last chance with me is tonight (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk/240255-wwe-raw-its-last-chance-me-tonight.html)

Dr. DVD 09-30-02 11:35 AM

WWE Raw: It's last chance with me is tonight

I am a devout wrestling fan and have stuck with it since age nine. I was a little Hulkamaniac during its prime and even stayed loyal to the WWE (then WWF) during times of such lame a$$ gimmicks as Bastion Booger and Tugboat.
About halfway through high school, I tuned out because I was so busy, but still caught the occasional show from time to time. I also started watching WCW as well. Once I was in college, I just caught a few glimpses here and there as I didn't get the Nitro network (TNT) and had lost track with the WWF. Then about November of my Freshman year the WWF did a house show at my university. Seeing as how I had once travelled five hours to see them in my childhood I figured it foolish to miss them when they were literally just down the road. The show was a good one and got me interested once more.
I began watching WWF Raw despite the fact that it was taped. During the summer after my first year of college I alternated between WWF and WCW on Monday nights, since I could now watch Nitro and the nWo angle was starting to take shape.
Since then, I always managed to stay on top with one or the other. I began watching every week once again in 1998 with the Austin era and D-X. WWF became the exclusive product once more.
I have watched every week since then, even sticking with it through the horrifcially executed Invasion/Alliance angle. However, the product is getting so bad thanks to a lack of competiton that even I can no longer stand it. Vince continues to make a mockery of once great workers and pushing talent no one cares about. Granted, RVD puts on a solid show every week, but it really proves tedious waiting around for just one match that's worth seeing. It's too much jibber-jabber on the microphone and not enough action. The talent they place in matches is typically the kind no one cares about and the matches themselves have grown below average. (If I have to see another Trish vs. Molly match, I will :yack: I can only take so much of a storyline that eventually shifts focus back to Molly's behind.)
In short, if Raw doesn't deliver the goods with something phenomenal tonight, I will abandon the weekly programs and tune in soley for the Pay Per Views that I can watch at a local sports bar. It's sad, but the PPVs are the only places I can see decent matches anymore :( Anyone else ready to abandon the product after years of devotion? Hopefully Vince will take notice of the great loss of longtime fans and ratings and do something soon. I love wrestling, and hate to see it as it currently stands. :(

Y2K Falcon 09-30-02 11:52 AM

I might watch for.... 3 minutes.

shadowhawk2020 09-30-02 11:54 AM

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
I might watch for.... 3 minutes.
Wanna predict who will win so everyone can pick on you some more [email protected]?

Shadow

Thunderball 09-30-02 12:28 PM

I'....well
I haven't watched a show in 3 weeks. The WWF(no E for me) can kiss my ass right now. The show is horrible!

Meatpants 09-30-02 12:48 PM

The WWE has been relegated to the PIP for me, and Smackdown I only tune in for after I've read the spoilers. :(

Don't forget tonight's big matchup between Rosey/Jamal and Booker T/Goldust :rolleyes:

RaptorsFan 09-30-02 01:02 PM

Smackdown owns Raw.

You can totally tell that the person writing for SmackDown (Heyman) knows what they're doing.

Dr. DVD 09-30-02 01:36 PM

Actually, I think Raw is better simply because it is live and I don't have to look at Stephanie McMahon all the time.

Also, I am not abandoning just Raw but WWE altogether save for PPVs if tonight does not show signs of improvement.

kneijst1 09-30-02 04:09 PM

I agree. No Stephanie is good. I dont mind looking at her, I just hate hearing her whine. Recently I haven't been a HHH fan, but at least the new angle is okay. It's funny to see Flair still wrestle....Im waiting for him to fall down and not get up one of these episodes.

I think what RAW is missing, besides HLA, is more decent storylines(also some cruiserweights..aka Rey Jr.). Most of the matches put me to sleep, but luckily MNF is on again, so I have something to watch during those awful women's matches.

dancinns 09-30-02 04:11 PM

I guess I'm more dedicated to WWE than most everyone here. I've been watching wrestling for a good 12-13 years and I've sat through lame gimmicks and piss poor programming. But I've always watched WWE even when WCW was kicking its ass back in 96-97. I love wrestling and there's nothing that will keep me from watching.

I'm fully aware that the WWE product is suffering right now but I still enjoy it.

Sessa17 09-30-02 04:31 PM

I'm with Dr. DVD, except I HAAAAATE the WWF. I've been a loyal wrestling fan for 15 years & a DIE-HARD WCW fan. As a tradition my friends & I have watched Nitro untill it left & then unfortunately we had to watch Raw every monday night for the past 9 years, never missing it once.

And now I have to say that may all come to an end. I HATE WWF, Vince McMahon is the worste thing that could happen to wrestling & he is ruining it. There are great talents & even greater personalities but Vince does not want to use them. There are amazing wrestlers out there like RVD, hell, wayyyy better than RVD but Vince would never let them do what they are capable of. Instead he let's people like Undertaker & HHH basically run both programs. He pushed people like Kane that cannot wrestle if their lives depended on it. And he would do anything he could to get Austen back who is one of the most annoying wrestling personalities that ever existed. Wrestling is at an all-time low in my opionion, I would give anything for the says of the NWO at their prime & Goldberg to come back & show all these brainwashed fans what real wrestling is.

Charlie Goose 09-30-02 04:47 PM

Originally posted by dancinns
I guess I'm more dedicated to WWE than most everyone here. I've been watching wrestling for a good 12-13 years and I've sat through lame gimmicks and piss poor programming. But I've always watched WWE even when WCW was kicking its ass back in 96-97. I love wrestling and there's nothing that will keep me from watching.

I'm fully aware that the WWE product is suffering right now but I still enjoy it.

Ditto

http://charliegoose.homestead.com/files/goose.jpg Honk!

Jackskeleton 09-30-02 04:58 PM

I've been loyal for some time now, and man I already gave up on it. I looked at some of my old tapes.. why can't they make quality shows like this anymore?

I gave up a few weeks ago. the program is a complete let down now a days.

devilshalo 09-30-02 05:27 PM

i'll always watch... nothing else on monday nights keep my interest. i used to watch religiously. to think that 2 years ago i marked for 20 hours worth of wrestling every week. now it's in the background while i'm on the computer.

to me, they've killed it with lame storylines and not enough 'wrestling'. i really miss the 2 minute promo and the 15 - 20 minute matches... now we get the 15 - 20 minute promos with a 5 minute match. :(

but i'll still watch...

Jackskeleton 09-30-02 05:31 PM

why put yourself through the pain. I used to just leave smackdown playing in the background, not even doing that anymore. wow. :eek: the product just seems worthless now a days

Applejack 09-30-02 05:55 PM

I'm with you guys.

There is nothing interesting at all going on in WWE.

Until they bring up some new main eventers, I'm out.

I am sick of undertaker, HHH, Brock Lesnar at the top, and I don't think I'm the only one. It would be nice to see some of the more entertaining guys get a push, but I've lost all hope. You have to hit MacMahon in the pocketbook before he will listen

WhattheFFF 09-30-02 10:27 PM

I agree with you that the story lines haven't been great for quite a while, the wrestling on the other hand I think is the best it's ever been, Angle & Benoit anyone?

I don't watch wrestling for the story lines I watch it to see wrestling so as long as the wwe continues to have the top preformers in the business I will continue to watch. doesn't sounds like any of you are "true" wrestling fans.

Thunderball 09-30-02 10:39 PM

Seems ok so far tonite I guess( only caught the last 20 minutes got home at 1020).

Dreamer seems to be getting a mild push :up:

POWERBOMB 09-30-02 10:43 PM

I was watching the repeat of Confidential this weekend and they had the episode following SCSA departure from the WWE.

Isn't it strange in retrospect to know that Austin left because he felt the writing and creative outlook for the product was in his opinion "weak." Vince and suck-ass JR bad mouthed Austin during the entire episode, but it seems as if Austin knew what was coming.

sexy_overlord 09-30-02 11:29 PM

I just can't take listening to Eric Bischoff or Stephanie McMahon one more time. They've both crossed so far over the fake annoying / real annoying line that neither of them can even see the line anymore. Put them both in a soundproof box, then put that box in a bigger box, then put that box in a cave somewhere and roll a big rock in front of the entrance. Then put on some decent matches and stop reusing the same awful storylines that killed WCW. Then maybe I'll watch it again.

Y2K Falcon 09-30-02 11:32 PM

But next week, we'll have the Raw Roulette Wheel.

Hopefully we'll get UT and HHH in a bra and panties match. -rolleyes-

Blaster1 10-01-02 12:31 AM

I'm really started to get tired of the product. Everything that happens now benefits HHH or Undertaker in some way and they never put anyone over. The split was pointless, because its job was to get new people over and they haven't done that. Booker T jobbing tonight in his home town to those fat slobs was the last straw. The ref's hand stayed paused in the air right before he was about to count to 3, because one of those slugs didn't run in fast enough.

Rogue588 10-01-02 12:42 AM

Originally posted by Blaster1
Booker T jobbing tonight in his home town to those fat slobs was the last straw. The ref's hand stayed paused in the air right before he was about to count to 3, because one of those slugs didn't run in fast enough.
Agreed. :yack:

Jackskeleton 10-01-02 02:49 AM

looks like the WWE lost another viewer tonight. I wonder how many they will lose intill they realize that are screwing up

B5Erik 10-01-02 03:01 AM

Man, do I ever miss ECW.

I was a HUGE NWA fan, and I continued with WCW up until pretty close to the end (when it was just a total mess).

I loved the IDEA of the whole invasion thing, and I loved seeing some of the WCW and ECW wrestlers in the WWF.

Then McMahon started to lose it. The shows have become kind of....boring.

And I haven't watched Raw in two months. The WWE sucks.

I'll watch if by some miracle McMahon signs Goldberg. That guy could seriously take all the other guys out if they were doing "shoot" matches. At least he could have a few years ago. Who knows what 3 years of ring rust would do to his in ring abilities.

If I was running the WWE, I'd sign Goldberg, Sting (as the "classic" Sting), and a few more ECW and WCW guys, and boot out the slugs and make them all WRESTLE! Like the NWA and early WCW days. Keep the interesting storylines, but cut the mike time in half.

A friend at work and I used to discuss possible angles/storylines to fix WCW when they were starting to REALLY lose it. We came up with great stuff - MUCH better than what was actually being done.

Now the WWE is getting dangerously close to being in that bad shape. Hell, I could do better angles and storylines now....

Kumar J 10-01-02 03:06 AM

I can see so much hate for the show.I sold my cable TV tuner and antenna when it got a bit boring,but these days, the Japanese Pro Wrestling seems to be getting much better!