Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

MLB Playoffs on ABC family?

Old 09-30-02, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

MLB Playoffs on ABC family?

WTH is ABC Family?

I don't think I get this channel. Is it regular ABC?
Old 09-30-02, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's not regular ABC - it's their cable channel. I did not know they'd put games on this channel...luckily I get it...go Angels!
Old 09-30-02, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk God

It used to be called Fox Family.
Old 09-30-02, 11:29 AM

I hope my local fox channel picks up the games, or even foxsports.net. If not, I'm forced to drive an hour north to my parents.
Old 09-30-02, 11:31 AM
Moderator Emeritus

I had to check last night to make sure I get it. Luckily I do. I don't guess I've watched it since it switched names from Fox Family. I'll be watching Channel 39 tomorrow night at 10.
Old 09-30-02, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I don't see why they put it on this channel? it's inbetween 7th heaven and some other family show.. now the main question... WHY?
who the hell would watch it there if they even got the damn channel?!
Old 09-30-02, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Red Dog
It used to be called Fox Family.
Before that, it was "The Family Channel".
Old 09-30-02, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Luddy22
I hope my local fox channel picks up the games, or even foxsports.net. If not, I'm forced to drive an hour north to my parents.
I would doubt that they would pick up any games as ABC and FOX have the rights to the postseason.
Old 09-30-02, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
what a horrorable thing to do to a game and put it on a station no one is going to watch.
Old 09-30-02, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by Copenhagen
I would doubt that they would pick up any games as ABC and FOX have the rights to the postseason.
I just found out KTVU (my channel 2 fox station) will be broadcasting the games.

"For all 2002 Division Series games that will potentially air on the ABC Family Channel, the local over-the-air FOX affiliate will provide a simultaneous broadcast of those games in each participating club's home market.
Following is a list of the FOX affiliates in each market that will air these games and the national broadcast schedule for the Division Series:

Team FOX Affiliate
Anaheim Angels KTTV
Arizona Diamondbacks KSAZ
Atlanta Braves WAGA
Minnesota Twins KFTC
New York Yankees WNYW
Oakland Athletics KTVU
St. Louis Cardinals KTVI
San Francisco Giants KTVU"
Old 09-30-02, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool....luckily I'll be at the ballpark for the A's games but it is good to know that the local affiliates are carrying them as well.
Old 09-30-02, 06:14 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
what a horrorable thing to do to a game and put it on a station no one is going to watch.

I'm definitely going to watch it. I seem to recall not being able to watch early round playoff games in the past. I've got the channel, so I'm watching the games-- doesn't matter that I usually don't watch ABC Family.
Old 10-01-02, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Has MLB lost it completely? Ariz vs. StL at 11 PM EASTERN???

If you really, really tried, it would be hard to run a sport as badly as baseball is being run.

Not only will this game begin after most of the country has gone to bed, but it will begin on ABC Family, whatever that is. It's not even offered by my cable company, not that I care.

What is MLB thinking? Can you imagine the NBA allowing this to happen? Granted, it's annoying when they space out the playoffs so that everyone plays on Sundays, but hey, at least you get to the see the games!!! Hey, I think Oak vs Minn is about too start, too bad the entire country is AT WORK AND CAN'T WATCH TV.

Again, I cannot wait for this interminable season to end, I just find it amazing how badly this sport is run.
Old 10-01-02, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that is pretty stupid.
Old 10-01-02, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Your cable company probably has it. It used to be The Family Channel and then Fox Family until ABC bought it. It may be listed as one of these. On my cable system, it is listed as 'FAM.'

It is either 11 pm or have 2 games on simultaneously and I don't think MLB wants to do that because then people will bitch about that.
Old 10-01-02, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Has MLB lost it completely? Ariz vs. StL at 11 PM EASTERN???

Originally posted by Meatpants
Hey, I think Oak vs Minn is about too start, too bad the entire country is AT WORK AND CAN'T WATCH TV.

I guess you would have hated living in the 20s when every game was a day game. I don't know where you have been for the last century, but there have always been some afternoon playoff games. At least the kids can see it when they get home from school.
Old 10-01-02, 04:24 PM

It is either 11 pm or have 2 games on simultaneously and I don't think MLB wants to do that because then people will bitch about that.
Somehow the NBA manages to do it, even though they have 16 playoff teams and 4 rounds of playoffs. Of course, they dont' have a ridiculous 8 month pre/regular season either.
Old 10-01-02, 04:25 PM

Re: Re: Has MLB lost it completely? Ariz vs. StL at 11 PM EASTERN???

I guess you would have hated living in the 20s when every game was a day game. I don't know where you have been for the last century, but there have always been some afternoon playoff games. At least the kids can see it when they get home from school.
Right, they used to be big on radio too. Times change.

And no kids come home from school and watch baseball.
Old 10-01-02, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Somehow the NBA manages to do it, even though they have 16 playoff teams and 4 rounds of playoffs. Of course, they dont' have a ridiculous 8 month pre/regular season either.

The NBA does not have 3 or 4 playoff games a day because they can spread them out. They take friggin 3 months to do their playoffs. If weather wasn't a factor, I guess baseball could go until December and play 1 playoff game a day. The choice is either having 2 games on simultaneously (which they tried several years ago and people bitched about it) or spreading them out. I think spreading them is far better. By the way, I'm sure that the NBA has had west coast weekday playoff games that start at 10:30 or 11 et.
Old 10-01-02, 04:34 PM

The NBA does not have 3 or 4 playoff games a day because they can spread them out. They take friggin 3 months to do their playoffs. If weather wasn't a factor, I guess baseball could go until December and play 1 playoff game a day. The choice is either having 2 games on simultaneously (which they tried several years ago and people bitched about it) or spreading them out. I think spreading them is far better. By the way, I'm sure that the NBA has had west coast weekday playoff games that start at 10:30 or 11 et.
IIRC the NBA has weekday doubleheaders, one game at 6, one game at 830, central time.

Anyway, I guess my point is no matter what the reason is, if baseball wants to reclaim its prominence, it can't be putting games on obscure channels at odd hours. The NBA seems to be pretty quick with adapting itself to changes in the marketplace (rule changes to increase fluidity, instant replay, etc). Obviously baseball can't be played in December, but they shouldn't be playing into November either (as they will again this year, probably). If that means (god forbid) cutting out some exhibition games, or going down to 140+ games, then they should do it.

Of course, they won't do that because they're too greedy, but they should.
Old 10-01-02, 04:42 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Anyway, I guess my point is no matter what the reason is, if baseball wants to reclaim its prominence, it can't be putting games on obscure channels at odd hours.
Do you think that MLB chose to have these games on ABC Family? They sold the rights to broadcast the games. Seems that someone doesn't think the DCS will get enough viewers, so they're sticking them on ABC Family. These times are being driven by television.

Where do you get the idea that baseball will stretch into November? It happened last year because of the week off after 9/11. The World Series will wrap up before the end of October this year. Short seasons are for NFL and NBA. 162 games is just fine by me.
Old 10-01-02, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk God

IIRC the NBA has weekday doubleheaders, one game at 6, one game at 830, central time.

Anyway, I guess my point is no matter what the reason is, if baseball wants to reclaim its prominence, it can't be putting games on obscure channels at odd hours. The NBA seems to be pretty quick with adapting itself to changes in the marketplace (rule changes to increase fluidity, instant replay, etc). Obviously baseball can't be played in December, but they shouldn't be playing into November either (as they will again this year, probably). If that means (god forbid) cutting out some exhibition games, or going down to 140+ games, then they should do it.

Of course, they won't do that because they're too greedy, but they should.

Baseball only went into November once - last year and I think there was a pretty good reason for why they had to go into November. I agree that 162 games is too much but they should only go back to 154 if they go back (what it used to be prior to the 60s). Game 7 of the WS is scheduled for Oct 27.

The NBA season is 9 months long when you count pre and post season. Baseball is 8, so I don't know why you think baseball needs to cut back and not basketball.

When the Lakers or Kings host a early round playoff game on a weekday, it starts at 10:30 on the east coast. Acc'd to your theory, this is ridiculous as well.

What choice does MLB have here? Oakland, NY, and Arizona are hosting games today. NY has a logical start time of 8 pm ET. You want Oakland and Arizona to also go at the same time as the Yanks? How would that increase baseball's exposure?

Pretend you are a baseball executive - how would you schedule these 3 games today. Of course, also realize that part of the contracts dictate that TV gets to decide the schedule.

In all the cable systems I've subscribed to, I've had the Family Channel so I don't think it is obscure. My guess is that you have but you just don't realize it.
Old 10-01-02, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by AndyCapps
World Series will wrap up before the end of October this year. Short seasons are for NFL and NBA. 162 games is just fine by me.
Slightly OT:

Great, they managed to squeeze in the World Series before Halloween, after starting training camp in March.

I've never understood why some people cling to the 162 game season like it's some kind of divine law. They need to lop off a month of the season, there's no reason baseball needs to go past September.
Old 10-01-02, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Slightly OT:

Great, they managed to squeeze in the World Series before Halloween, after starting training camp in March.

I've never understood why some people cling to the 162 game season like it's some kind of divine law. They need to lop off a month of the season, there's no reason baseball needs to go past September.

I say the same thing about the NBA going into summer. College hoops ends at the end of March. Somehow the NBA has to go 4 months longer.
Old 10-01-02, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MeatPants:

What cable company do you use? Searching Chicago, I see that ABC Family is on the following:

AT&T Broadband, Oak Park, IL - Channel 51
AT&T Broadband Southwest, Chicago, IL - Channel 40
RCN Cable, Chicago, IL - Channel 50
RCN Chicago, Chicago, IL - Channel 40
RCN/Wedgewood, Chicago, IL - Channel 40
TVMAX, Chicago, IL - Channel 50

Source: tv.yahoo.com

And I know that I missed some of the Spurs playoff games due to lateness, and if they started at 8:30 central, that wouldn't have been a problem.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.