Some WWE questions

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Some WWE questions

Old 08-18-02, 12:53 AM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some WWE questions

I tend to watch WWE for a few months then not watch for several months. The last I saw it was WWF vs. WCW now it seems to be Smackdown vs. Raw. How did this come about? If someone is on Raw does that mean that they won't wrestle on Smackdown? So it still is kinda like WCW vs. WWE?

Also, Kurt Angle has a shaved head, was it his own doing or did he lose a "special" match where he had to shave it?

Thanks,

DAC
Old 08-18-02, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Actually, I can answer these questions I believe. I'll keep it fairly brief. After Stephanie and Shane McMahon "lost" with their Alliance (WCW and ECW) takeover, it came out Ric Flair had bought their shars. So Flair and Vince were both 50% owners. they butted heads (on TV), so they split up the talent roster with a draft, with Flair running Raw and McMahon Smackdown. This lasted for a while, but then Vince won a winner take all match. After declining ratings, they came up with a new gimmick where Vince "hired" Eric Bischoff and Stephanie McMahon to manage Raw and Smackdown, respectivly. With the exception of the World Champ, you can only appear on one show, but people can sign contracts with whoever they want, hence all the people switching.

As for Angle, he lost a hair v. hair match vs. Edge.

Not sure it that makes sense, butthat's the basics
Old 08-18-02, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't worry DAC, at least the reson you're confused is because you haven't watched in awhile. There are some in the sports forum that have been watching and still don't get it.
Old 08-18-02, 02:03 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know WWE airs on TV, but we've been putting WWE in Sports for some time, so I'm moving it there.
Old 08-18-02, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
the split should for all it's worth, end already. it sure is getting old fast.
Old 08-18-02, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But haven't you noticed how Raw is begining to look a lot like Nitro? I mean the announcing table was moved to the corner of the entrance, the lights around the audience are dimmed during a match, etc. A few more additions (like the great Tony Schivone and Ralphus) and the change will be complete.

Oh wait, Vince still owns and runs it. Oh well.
Old 08-19-02, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like how they're making Raw feel like Nitro. It just makes it feel more like Bischoff is in control. I can't wait until we get to have some huge ass WWE letters on the stage.
Old 08-19-02, 05:39 PM
Banned

The more the WWE seems to try, the more they lose me as a fan. I guess it's just that I'm getting older, and the niche of excitement that the product once brought to me over a decade ago just doesn't seem to cut the mustard at this stage of my life ...
Old 08-20-02, 12:34 AM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for the replies. It would have been better to see Edge shaved bald though.

Yeah I figured this wouldn't go into the sports forum since it's not a "real" sport.