Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

The Voice of the Moon (Blu-ray) Review

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-17, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Why are there reviews that claim to be experts, when they seemingly know little about the subject? The review claims, "The works of Federico Fellini almost universally fall into two categories, regardless of their subject matter and time of release: surreal and abstract." The review then goes on and on about this in flowery language the reviewer must believe is very smart. What is surreal or abstract about I vitelloni, La strada, Il bidone, or Le notti di Cabiria? Sometimes it is best to do a bit of research before making yourself look a fool.
Old 12-02-17, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The Voice of the Moon (Blu-ray) Review

Originally Posted by JasonX
Why are there reviews that claim to be experts, when they seemingly know little about the subject? The review claims, "The works of Federico Fellini almost universally fall into two categories, regardless of their subject matter and time of release: surreal and abstract." The review then goes on and on about this in flowery language the reviewer must believe is very smart. What is surreal or abstract about I vitelloni, La strada, Il bidone, or Le notti di Cabiria? Sometimes it is best to do a bit of research before making yourself look a fool.
There are surreal and/or abstract elements found throughout the visual and literary language of Fellini's entire catalog, which tip them into said categories. Granted, his earlier ('50s) works are certainly far lighter on those direct elements and are less overt in their appearance, some which only include certain scenes or specific filmmaking tones that nudge his otherwise realistic depictions into semi-surrealistic territory. But they're still there, whether it's through the presented imagery itself or the unexpectedness of certain things that happen within the narrative, and that works within the intentions of that comment.

Also, please note that I did write "almost universally", since I do agree that there are a few of Fellini's films that aren't saturated enough with those elements to really consider them for either label.