Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Reign (The CW) -- Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-13, 08:46 PM

Received 4,708 Likes on 3,189 Posts
Reign (The CW) -- Series Thread

Hidden between the lines of the history books is the story of Mary Stuart, the young woman the world would come to know as Mary, Queen of Scots. Queen of Scotland since she was six days old, the teenage Mary is already a headstrong monarch - beautiful, passionate, and poised at the very beginning of her tumultuous rise to power. Arriving in France with four close friends as her ladies-in-waiting, Mary has been sent to secure Scotland's strategic alliance by formalizing her arranged engagement to the French king's dashing son, Prince Francis. But the match isn't signed and sealed, it depends more on politics, religion and secret agendas than affairs of the heart. Prince Francis is intrigued by the fiery Scot, but like most young men, he resists the idea of settling down into marriage, especially when he has a history with a lady of the court and his own point of view on the wisdom of an alliance with Scotland. Still, an attraction between Mary and Francis is ignited. Further complicating things is Bash, Francis' roguish half-brother, who has a history of his own - despite his illegitimate birth, Bash is his father's favorite. And now that Bash has caught Mary's eye, a royal triangle may be forming. While at French Court, fierce foes and dark forces conspire to sabotage Mary's marriage to Francis and even threaten her life, until a mysterious shrouded guide becomes her ally. With danger and sexual intrigue around every dark castle corner, Mary rallies her ladies-in-waiting and steels herself, ready to rule the new land and balance the demands of her country and her heart. The series stars Adelaide Kane ("Teen Wolf") as Mary, Toby Regbo ("One Day") as Prince Francis, Torrance Coombs ("The Tudors") as Bash, Megan Follows ("Anne of Green Gables") as Queen Catherine, Alan Van Sprang ("The Tudors") as King Henry, Celina Sinden (newcomer) as Greer, Caitlin Stasey (newcomer) as Kenna, Anna Popplewell ("The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader") as Lola, and Jenessa Grant ("Cyberbully") as Aylee. REIGN is from CBS Television Studios and Warner Bros. Television with executive producers Stephanie SenGupta ("Hawaii Five-0"), Laurie McCarthy ("The Ghost Whisperer"), Frank Siracusa ("Beauty And The Beast") and Brad Silberling ("Moonlight Mile"). The pilot was directed by Brad Silberling.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FRpcOUiJJdc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-17-13, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
re: Reign (The CW) - Season 1 Thread

So instead of the Man in the Iron Mask they have the Girl in the Burlap Sack.
Old 10-17-13, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Axeramm
So instead of the Man in the Iron Mask they have the Girl in the Burlap Sack.
i have five bucks that says she is hotter than Friday the 13th part 2 jason voorhees.

i took someone's advice and tried watching the show with a few oz of whiskey in me. it helped.

nothing could prepare me for the awkwardness of that chick flicking her bean, with my mom in the room.
Old 10-17-13, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I wanted to like this but thought it was boring but not terrible. I'll give it another chance.
Old 10-20-13, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Surprised by the beheading scene too.
Old 10-21-13, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 851 Likes on 714 Posts

This show appears to be the CW's attempt at a teen girl-focused version of The Tudors. It wasn't bad once they got past the first 20 minutes and moved the locus of action to the Royal Court. I am always leery though of historical dramas that use actual historical figures.

I wonder if they will introduce fantasy/supernatural elements to spice it up. There were hints of it with the visions.
Old 11-11-13, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,773 Likes on 2,704 Posts

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/cw-g...edium=facebook

I haven't started this yet, but FYI The CW ordered a full season today (22 episodes)

Apparently the show has done well on streaming and DVR.
Old 11-12-13, 01:31 PM

i no longer need to be drunk to watch or appreciate it. i think that is my highest praise.

the main chick is so good, i am going to look into teen wolf because she was on it.

mary queen of scots, or mary queen of Hot?
Old 11-12-13, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's gotten better with each episode. There is still a lot of soapy teen material but the writing has tightened up.
Old 11-12-13, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the lady that the King is hooking up with now is hotter than Mary. The rest of her Ladies arent much to look at.
Old 11-25-13, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk God

http://tvline.com/2013/11/25/reign-s...-marys-mother/

Amy Brennaman from NYPD Blue, Judging Amy and Private Practice, will be on the show. She's playing Mary's Mom.

I'm sure 99.5% of this forum isn't watching and doesn't give a crap anyways.
Old 11-25-13, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I like the show. Even though it's the CW typical teen drama, it has a fairly interesting mythology going on. I love period pieces (costume dramas - aka The White Queen, The Borgias, etc.)

They have a lot of territory they can plumb with the Druids, Nostrodamus, court machinations, etc. to keep thing interesting once they get past establishing the main characters.
Old 01-26-14, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally caught up on this and, heaven help me, I love it. Especially Megan Follows. The sniping between Catherine and Henry is great: "I weary of your threats"; "I wearied of you a decade ago"; "Whoremonger!"; "Devil!".
Old 01-27-14, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Did they just off Nostradamus?
Old 01-27-14, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Did they just off HOT Nostradamus?
fixed
Old 04-07-14, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm bumping this thread because Reign has constantly delivered this season, week after week. The storylines are refreshingly traditional for the period, if you consider a King going mad and a scheming Queen. It's much more of an ensemble show than other CW series. They could lose Mary, the supposed focus of the show, and not lose much.

The writing and plotting have probably been better than any CW series in 2014 with the exception of Arrow.
Old 05-15-14, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Reign -- Season Finale -- "Slaughter of Innocence" -- 5/15/14

REIGN

"Slaughter of Innocence" - (9:00:57-10:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

FRANCIS AND MARY TAKE CHARGE, MAKING BRUTAL CHOICES THAT WILL CHANGE THE FATE OF FRANCE - When the King's (Alan Van Sprang) madness and cruelty reaches a fevered pitch, Mary (Adelaide Kane) and Francis (Toby Regbo) take action. Their choices could change the course of history, but an unforeseen terror brewing in the woods could cost them, and their friends, everything. Mary makes a drastic decision when she learns Lola (Anna Popplewell) is going through a life-threatening labor at a location outside of the castle. Megan Follows, Torrance Coombs, Caitlin Stasey and Celina Sinden also star. David Frazee directed the episode written by Laurie McCarthy and Doris Egan (#122).

Episode 22 of 22

Yes, this is the 1st episode specific Reign thread of the season. Over the past couple of months, I've really started getting into this show. I think creatively it's surpassed The Vampire Diaries. Very well made young adult period drama. I'm glad it got renewed.

I like most of the characters, including Mary (Adelaide Kane). I think she's a great find by The CW and WB. I hope she gets more work out of this show.

It didn't occur to me until recently that Kiefer Sutherland's half brother is on this show.

renewed through the 2014-15 season (the show's second) on 2/13/14
Old 05-21-14, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Reign -- Season Finale -- "Slaughter of Innocence" -- 5/15/14

This show is a nice surprise and is the only thing I watch on the CW now. Vampire Diaries go too convoluted and for some reason I lost interest in Arrow. I think it's well done and Adelaide Kane as Mary really nails the part.
Old 05-21-14, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is one of my favorite shows. Well-acted, well-written and beautiful sets.
Old 05-21-14, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by leeta
This is one of my favorite shows. Well-acted, well-written and beautiful sets.
Agreed, Reign was consistently the most entertaining series on the CW this year after Arrow. It ended up being more of an ensemble show than most other productions on the network, the only character they absolutely shouldn't kill off is the Queen (the real Queen, not Mary). Everyone else could get killed off and I don't think the show would miss them that much.

I did think parts of the Darkness sub-arc were a bit silly, but thankfully they didn't waste too much screentime on it.
Old 10-02-14, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Reign (The CW) -- Season 2 Thread -- Starts 10/2/14

"The Plague" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, SV) (HDTV)

PLAGUE ROCKS THE KINGDOM - The new King and Queen of France, Francis (Toby Regbo) and Mary (Adelaide Kane) are plummeted into chaos after the Black Plague ravages the land and creeps inside the castle, threatening lives and the stability of their new rule. Francis finds himself on the wrong side of the quarantined gates, with Lola (Anna Popplewell), as they try to make their way back to safety. New and murderous foes are introduced as nobles grasp for power, pressuring Mary -- and Catherine (Megan Follows) -- even as the death count rises. Meanwhile, Kenna (Caitlin Stasey) and Bash (Torrance Coombs) find themselves separated; Kenna's life endangered as she risks all to save their young ward. Greer (Celina Sinden) is forced to watch Leith (Jonathan Keltz) move on with a new love and is shocked to realize he's involved with her fiance's daughter. Fred Gerber directed the episode written by Laurie McCarthy (#201). Original airdate 10/2/2014.

Read more: Listings - REIGN on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz3F1GQNaPr

Expected to be a 22 episode 2nd season

I really liked the 1st season. Very well written and acted young adult period drama. Adelaide Kane was really good along with the supporting cast. I know this show has very limited appeal here, so 1 thread should be enough for anyone who wants to talk about it.

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/geVIFma98Pk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by DJariya; 01-11-15 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-05-14, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Reign (The CW) -- Season 2 Thread -- Starts 10/2/14

In light of the Ebola issues we are facing here in the US, I thought the opening episode was little too timely.. LOL!
Old 10-05-14, 09:49 PM

Hot Nostradamus, shaved. still plague proof.

Catherine and Mary snarking at each other side by side on their thrones was better than waldorf and statler in a balcony.

i have no idea as to historical accuracy, but i find the show enthralling.
Old 10-05-14, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mary has grown to be a more than a match for Catherine.

My DVR cut off just before the end. Was the blond survivor in the cage the one who delivered Lola's baby?
Old 10-28-14, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know this series doesn't have much of a following here, but it has continued being a solid historical show in its sophomore season. I do miss the mad king as a character.

I would have thought the ongoing scourge of Plague running throughout this season's storyline would have struck more of a chord, since it nicely parallels the growing threat of Ebola today.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.