Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Superheroes: A Never Ending Battle - PBS Documentary - 10/15/13

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-13, 07:10 AM

Received 4,708 Likes on 3,189 Posts
Superheroes: A Never Ending Battle - PBS Documentary - 10/15/13

Taken from Comic Book Talk:

We first heard about it almost two years ago as Superheroes: A Never-Ending Battle debuted at the 2011 New York Comic Con. But what we saw then focused only on the years 1938 to 1954. On October 15th 2013, PBS will be running the full documentary over a three hour block (8pm to 11pm) that they are calling “Superhero Night”.

The documentary is broken into three parts (including the one shown at the convention) and is narrated by Liev Schrieber (X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Ray Donovan) and is produced/directed by Michael Kantor (Broadway: The American Musical; Make ‘Em Laugh: The Funny Business Of America) and includes interviews from interviews from Stan Lee; actors Adam West (Batman) and Lynda Carter (Wonder Woman); Geoff Johns (Chief Creative Officer, DC Comics), Jeph Loeb (Head of Television for Marvel Entertainment); Pulitzer Prize-winning author Michael Chabon (The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay) and cartoonist/author Jules Feiffer (the long-running strip Feiffer), as well as appearances by the late comic book icons Joe Simon (co-creator of Captain America) and Jerry Robinson (who helped create the Joker).

The show is broken into three one-hour segments covering different eras of comics and are described as follows:

PART ONE, 8 PM: Truth, Justice, and the American Way (1938-1958)

During the Depression, the popularity of dozens of superhero characters opens the door for a new generation of artists and writers. World War II creates a patriotic fervor for star-spangled adventurers to represent the American spirit at war and on the home front, but in the 1950s, superheroes are caught in the fire of government scrutiny and regulation. When the thrilling Adventures of Superman is broadcast on the new medium of television, America’s first and greatest superhero leads the entire comic book industry to renewed strength.

PART TWO, 9 PM: Great Power, Great Responsibility (1959-1977)

In the 1960s, a new breed of superhero emerges in the pages of Marvel Comics, inspired by the age of atomic energy and space travel and, in turn, inspiring the pop culture and pop artists of the time. Spider-Man, the Hulk and others are the first to have “problems” with which an adult audience can identify, and contemporary social issues make their way into comic books. Black powerhouses such as the Black Panther and Luke Cage appear on the scene, and the pages of Green Lantern/Green Arrow explode with relevant storylines as comic books are forced to confront the reality of an increasingly complex world.

PART THREE, 10 PM A Hero Can Be Anyone (1978-Present)

Modern enthusiasm for superheroes has been embraced in all forms of media and by all demographics, beginning with the historic Superman movie featuring Christopher Reeve as the Man of Steel. In 1986, Batman is overhauled as The Dark Knight to reflect the nocturnal underside of his character, and Watchmen bring new sophistication to comic book narratives, illuminating a violent and politicized world. In the burgeoning new millennium, superheroes have taken over popular culture with feature films, television shows and video games complementing a new generation of web-based comics that bring superhero adventures to every corner of the world.

Also interviewed for the documentary: artist Neal Adams, Ed Catto (Bonfire Agency), writer Chris Claremont, writer Gerry Conway, writer Paul Dini, writer Mark Evanier, writer and editor Danny Fingeroth, historian William Foster, artist Ramona Fradon, artist Irwin Hasen, the late artist Carmine Infantino, writer and artist Phil Jiminez, writer Gerard Jones, publisher Jenette Kahn, the late artist Joe Kubert, artist and co-publisher of DC Comics Jim Lee, former comic store owner Mike Malve, artist/writer Todd McFarlane, screenwriter Ashley Miller, writer Grant Morrison, writer Gary Phillips, writer/editor Denny O’Neil, writer Trina Robbins, chief creative officer of Marvel Entertainment Joe Quesada, casting director Andrea Romano, artist/designer Arlen Schumer, writer Louise Simonson, writer/artist Walt Simonson, Man of Steel director Zack Snyder, artist/writer Jim Steranko, writer J. Michael Straczynski, colorist Christina Strain, writer/editor Mark Waid, writer/editor Len Wein, writer Marv Wolfman and author Bradford Wright.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nzJLJXG3bWY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by dex14; 10-15-13 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-15-13, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Superheroes: A Never Ending Battle - PBS Documentary - 10/15/13

Thanks for the heads up. I remember hearing about this a couple of years ago.
Old 10-15-13, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 851 Likes on 714 Posts

This looks interesting.
Old 10-15-13, 04:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In 1986, Batman is overhauled as The Dark Knight to reflect the nocturnal underside of his character

It annoys me when people credit Frank Miller for turning Batman into the Dark Knight.

THAT IS WRONG!

You would think these hacks would do some research before writing a documentary, but I guess that's hoping for too much.

Frank Miller did jackshit.

Denny O'Neil began writing Batman in 1971, and he is the one responsible for turning Batman into the Dark Knight.

O'Neil wrote the best Joker story ever written in Batman #251. That's the comic where Joker goes from being the goofy clown as portrayed by Cesar Romero to being the mass murdering psychopath.

Last edited by taffer; 10-15-13 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-15-13, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Thx for the heads-up. Setting the DVR now and looking forward to it!
Old 10-15-13, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
It annoys me when people credit Frank Miller for turning Batman into the Dark Knight.

THAT IS WRONG!

You would think these hacks would do some research before writing a documentary, but I guess that's hoping for too much.

Frank Miller did jackshit.

Denny O'Neil began writing Batman in 1971, and he is the one responsible for turning Batman into the Dark Knight.

O'Neil wrote the best Joker story ever written in Batman #251. That's the comic where Joker goes from being the goofy clown as portrayed by Cesar Romero to being the mass murdering psychopath.
O'Neil basically turned Batman back to what he once was in the 40's version and the Joker was already a psycho in his first appearance. Also, Miller already mentioned more than once that O'Neil and Adams Batman was part of the inspiration for his version. I think he even said it in the documentary on the recent Return of the Dark Knight BD.
Old 10-15-13, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I remember hearing about this and wanting to watch it. Will record it!
Old 10-15-13, 08:35 PM
Banned

Never a comic thread without taffer.
Old 10-15-13, 09:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrhan
O'Neil basically turned Batman back to what he once was in the 40's version and the Joker was already a psycho in his first appearance. Also, Miller already mentioned more than once that O'Neil and Adams Batman was part of the inspiration for his version. I think he even said it in the documentary on the recent Return of the Dark Knight BD.
Yeah, I know the original Kane and Finger vision of Batman was very dark. It was the darkest period of Batman in history actually.

Batman typically killed his villains in those early stories. He was a killer up until Robin was introduced at least, and then the violence was toned down a bit. The comics were still fairly violent for awhile after Robin's introduction. I remember one story with Chinese hatchmen and a hatchet buried deep in the back of someone's head, but Batman himself stopped killing after Robin's introduction.

The Kane and Finger vision wasn't really the "Dark Knight Detective" though. He was just a vigilante who killed, like the Punisher.

I know Miller himself gives proper credit to O'Neil for creating the Dark Knight. I just get annoyed at idiots who think Miller completely revolutionized Batman, turning him from Adam West into the Dark Knight. That transition happened 15 years before Miller.

That quote I pulled was straight from the documentary quote in the first post. You would think someone who was writing a documentary would be knowledgeable enough to know it was O'Neil and not Miller.

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Never a comic thread without taffer.
Or you either...

Comics for life!
Old 10-15-13, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Look at what Denny O'Neil did as an editor. After saving Daredevil from irrelevance, he took Batman from DKR to the end of the 90s, adding series after series like Legends of rhe Dark Knight and Shadow of the Bat and it didn't seem like saturation even while Superman was rocking a mullet and turning into 4 people of whatever.
Old 10-15-13, 10:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cleaver
Look at what Denny O'Neil did as an editor. After saving Daredevil from irrelevance, he took Batman from DKR to the end of the 90s, adding series after series like Legends of rhe Dark Knight and Shadow of the Bat and it didn't seem like saturation even while Superman was rocking a mullet and turning into 4 people of whatever.
O'Neil was never editor on the Superman books. He was only ever editor on the Batman books. So I don't know what Superman has to do with anything.

And the Batman books were very good in the 90s. The 90s is usually regarded as a very bad time for the comic industry (Marvel even ended up nearly bankrupt by the late 90s) but the Batman books beat the odds and were excellent books. Doug Moench on Batman, Chuck Dixon on Detective Comics, and Alan Grant on Shadow of the Bat was the perfect trifecta of awesomeness. The Alan Grant/Norm Breyfogle run isn't just my favorite Batman run of all time. Its my favorite comic run of all time period.
Old 10-15-13, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,772 Likes on 2,703 Posts

I do want to see this, but can't record it tonight. Luckily there is a re-air on Saturday.
Old 10-15-13, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Watching the first part now. They have interviews with so many comic greats who have passed away recently (Carmine Infantino, Joe Kubert, Joe Simon). It made me tear up thinking that we're only down to a handful of Golden Age creators now.
Old 10-16-13, 05:54 AM

Received 4,708 Likes on 3,189 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I do want to see this, but can't record it tonight. Luckily there is a re-air on Saturday.
Same. That's when I'm recording it.
Old 10-16-13, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh I'll be DVR'ing that then.
Old 10-16-13, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I noticed that snippets of this doc. appears on one of the documentaries on the Return of the Dark Knight BD.
Old 10-16-13, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 365 Likes on 217 Posts

It re-airs on our local PBS station on Mon 12-3am. Already set the DVR to record it.
Old 10-16-13, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by taffer
O'Neil was never editor on the Superman books. He was only ever editor on the Batman books. So I don't know what Superman has to do with anything.
I mean while Superman was creatively bankupt at the same point in time Batman was breaking new ground.
Old 10-16-13, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 851 Likes on 714 Posts

Skip watching it on television and buy the Blu-ray set, direct from PBS for $29.99:

http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index...entPage=family

I think there is a 15% coupon if you sign up for their email list. This was a really well-done program that I could see watching again.
Old 10-17-13, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kahuna
It re-airs on our local PBS station on Mon 12-3am. Already set the DVR to record it.
I'll have to check mine for Monday too. I didn't see it listed anywhere on PBS over the weekend.
Old 10-17-13, 08:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cleaver
I mean while Superman was creatively bankupt at the same point in time Batman was breaking new ground.
Oh okay. I read it wrong and thought you were saying that era of Batman was bad.

I did like Superman in the 90s, up until around 1995 or so. Then it fell apart, especially with that whole "electric blue" Superman.
Old 10-17-13, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was mentioned on the thread in the comic forum that it's available for viewing online at PBS.org.

http://video.pbs.org/program/superhe...rending-story/
Old 11-01-13, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,772 Likes on 2,703 Posts

Watched all 3 hours tonight. It's a great watch and the 3 hours flew by fast. Started a little after 8pm and just finished moments ago.

Really solid documentary and getting Liev Schreiber to host and narrate it was even better. He's the voice of HBO Sports and his voice is fantastic.

I think Parts 1 and 2 were the best of the 3. They covered a lot of the origins and histories of the characters, which I found really interesting.

I wasn't familiar at all with the whole Shuster and Siegel thing with WB and how they fell on hard times until they finally got a settlement from them and on screen credits.

I appreciated the fact that they interviewed a lot of the writers of the comics. It added a lot IMO to the discussion.

And hell yes, Lynda Carter looked fantastic.

I highly recommend this to anyone who missed it.

For the record, it's no longer available for free streaming on PBS's website.

http://www.amazon.com/Hero-Can-Be-An...-ending+battle

You can purchase all 3 parts in HD for streaming on Amazon for $7.99.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-01-13 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-01-13, 01:52 PM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I've only seen the first 2 hours so far and agree that it was terrific. As Valeyard mentioned, it was great seeing those recently-deceased artists looking back on their careers. I'll buy the dvd if there is more of that footage. One quibble I had was that I remember seeing a Batman documentary (after the first Michael Keaton Batman movie came out on VHS) where Bob Kane said he got the idea of the millionaire secret identity from Zorro, not from The Shadow.
Old 11-01-13, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Quatermass
I've only seen the first 2 hours so far and agree that it was terrific. As Valeyard mentioned, it was great seeing those recently-deceased artists looking back on their careers. I'll buy the dvd if there is more of that footage. One quibble I had was that I remember seeing a Batman documentary (after the first Michael Keaton Batman movie came out on VHS) where Bob Kane said he got the idea of the millionaire secret identity from Zorro, not from The Shadow.
He's throwing you off the scent, there's this crazy link that shows how Batman was lifted from The Shadow - Detective 27 had the same story as an issue, Commissioner Gordon looked exactly like this doctor that endorsed a laxative in an ad in the same issue, the baddies died the same way, every picture was traced somewhere in Detective, etc.
http://dialbforblog.com/archives/391/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.