Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

ESPN 30 for 30 - Vulture ranks every 51 film

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-13, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
ESPN 30 for 30 - Vulture ranks every 51 film

With the 52nd installment airing tonight ( Hawaiian: The Legend of Eddie Aikau) Vulture ranks all 51 films. While I haven't seen them all, I love how ambitious this project is/was. Glad they are still doing more movies:

http://www.vulture.com/2013/10/every...cebook_vulture

Favorites include: The Guru of Go, The Two Escobars, Survive and Advance, The Band that wouldn't Die.

Top 5:

5. June 17, 1994
Brett Morgen (The Kid Stays in the Picture, Chicago 10, Nimrod Nation) delivers by far the most ambitious “30 for 30.” June 17, 1994 has no narrator or exposition; instead, Morgen uses only news footage of one strange summer day nearly two decades ago to launch viewers on a surprisingly transporting experience. From Arnold Palmer’s final U.S. Open round, to the New York Rangers’ Stanley Cup celebration, to a NBA Finals Game 5 and the opening of the World Cup in Chicago, all trumped by the surreal O.J. Simpson televised police pursuit. Morgen carefully builds toward the surreal last moments of the Simpson chase, when Angelenos hit overpasses to cheer on O.J. as the White Bronco sped past. A subtly brilliant take on time, spectatorship, and media saturation.

4. Fab Five
The University of Michigan’s Fab Five could never happen today; in the one-and-done era of college basketball stars, no program could land five players as talented as Jalen Rose, Chris Webber, Juwan Howard, Jimmy King and Ray Jackson in a single recruiting class. Two decades after turning college hoops upside down, the Fab Five’s edge and swagger seem utterly contemporary, which is a testament to how ahead of their time they were. Jason Hehir, a veteran director and producer for Ultimate Fighting Championship, lets four of the players speak for themselves (Chris Webber declined to participate) on everything from their captivating tourney runs, their opinion of Christian Laettner, Webber’s infamous time-out, and the pay-for-play scandal that led Michigan to vacate their consecutive NCAA tourney runner-up finishes. The film is an essential document of a defining moment of sports culture and adds evidence that Jalen Rose should probably be the next president.

3. Without Bias
On June 17, 1986, Len Bias became the second overall pick of the NBA draft, joining the reigning champion Boston Celtics. Less than 36 hours later, Bias was dead, his heart stopped by a cocaine overdose. Bias’ story is punishingly sad and well-known, but “Without Bias” extracts commentary of devastating clarity on the part of family and friends, and Kirk Fraser’s quiet direction allows Bias’ brilliant potential and the shock of his death to speak for themselves.

2. No Crossover
Steve James made one of the greatest documentaries, sports or otherwise, in Hoop Dreams. So it’s not suprising that his take on Allen Iverson, with whom he shares a hometown, is near the top of the list. Iverson, a prep star in Hampton, Virginia, was sentenced to 15 months in prison for his disputed role in a bowling-alley brawl. Iverson and his friends were black; the other side in the brawl were white. The brawl takes on a Rashomon vibe, and what one interviewee precisely terms “a fucked-up situation” ensues when Iverson and several friends are charged with serious offenses. James brilliantly investigates the seams of identity, race, and community strained by Iverson’s trial, conviction, and subsequent pardon, with an added charge from his own ties to home.

1. The Two Escobars
The stakes in a typical sports documentary are usually winning or losing; in rare cases the question of living or dying can edge into the frame. But The Two Escobars, the best of the “30 for 30s,” thoroughly captures a time and a place — Colombia, at the height of its narco-fueld violence — where soccer became a matter of life or death. As Pablo Escobar and other cartel kingpins poured cocaine millions into domestic clubs, Colombia’s national club shot up the FIFA rankings thanks to stars like Carlos Valderrama, Rene Higuita, and Andres Escobar (no relation to Pablo). The rise and fall of Pablo Escobar and Colombian soccer are explored with unmatched depth — directors Jeff and Michael Zimbalist (Jeff made Favela Rising, and the bros are at work on a Pelé biopic) manage to get inside a Colombian prison to interview cartel hitmen — making this one of the best sports documentaries of the last decade.
Old 10-01-13, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: ESPN 30 for 30 - Vulture ranks every 51 film

I may be a bit Biased, but my fav The Band That Wouldn’t Die
Old 10-01-13, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I think my fave is The Best that Never Was. Pony Exce$$ is also awesome. Also, I would have ranked You Don't Know Bo higher.
Old 10-01-13, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 168 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Me007gold
I may be a bit Biased, but my fav The Band That Wouldn’t Die
That was one of the first ones I think and it was great, but I think it had more impact if you were from the Baltimore area or had some sort of knowledge of how the Colts left the city.

I also loved Without Bias and Fab Five so those two I like seeing that high on the list. Also really liked Pony Excess and The Best that Never Was. I had no idea that SMU only recieved the death penalty for a year and I had never heard of Marcus Dupree before.
Old 10-01-13, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,429 Likes on 4,396 Posts

Pretty damn good list. I wasn't so crazy about No Crossover -- I thought Benji covered similar ground much better. I loved Without Bias though and glad to see it ranked so high. So many great docs in that series. I can't wait to watch the Eddie one tonight.
Old 10-01-13, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 934 Likes on 659 Posts

I've only seen a handful, but of the ones I've seen, The Band that Wouldn't Die would be my #1 as well. I'm not from the Baltimore area and knew nothing about the Colts going in but the doc was fascinating.
Old 10-01-13, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two Escobars was good but I think it's overrated. The "sports" documentary aspect seems tagged on to the far more interesting subject of Pablo and the Columbian drug war, and IMO almost detracts from the film. Andres's story doesn't even get interesting until they go to the World Cup near the end, from there it holds it's own.

The Best that Never Was should be higher. It's one of the best, IMO.

Once Brothers should be lower. It was an interesting topic and well made for the most part, but I didn't like that it was the story from Divac's POV and they didn't really give a legitimate voice to Petrovic's viewpoint.
Old 10-01-13, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the minority and believe most of them have been horribly executed.

However, I really enjoyed Fab Five, Pony Excess, and the 1983 Draft Class one.
Old 10-01-13, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 282 Likes on 212 Posts

I really dislike the opening and closing with the director spelling out their intentions each and every time. Let us just watch the fucking doc and let it speak for itself. But I've liked most of the ones I've seen.
Old 10-01-13, 10:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Pretty damn good list. I wasn't so crazy about No Crossover -- I thought Benji covered similar ground much better. I loved Without Bias though and glad to see it ranked so high. So many great docs in that series. I can't wait to watch the Eddie one tonight.
Yeah I didn't like it much either because it was missing the most important person: the central figure.

I loved the Len Bias, Jimmy The Greek's, Two Escobars, Steve Bartman-Cubs, and Fab Five. Those are my favorites.
Old 10-02-13, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree with another poster, The Band That Wouldn't Die should have been ranked higher. I'm not surprised Broke was ranked towards the bottom.
Old 10-02-13, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 282 Likes on 212 Posts

Yeah, The Band That Wouldn't Die should be higher, the Reggie Miller one too, even if it wasn't as super serious as some of the other entries.
Old 10-02-13, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 853 Likes on 715 Posts

The list vastly overrates No Crossover. Hoop Dreams was much better and it didn't really feel like a very good examination of Iverson's incident.

My favorites are probably the ones on Ben Johnson's doping scandal and Todd Marinovich.
Old 10-02-13, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This list lost me when I saw the Martina-Chris Evert one in the top ten. That was re-heated coffee commercial down to the Natalie Merchant music cues.

I'll be a homer for the Reggie Miller one, but I also enjoyed The Band That Wouldn't Die a great deal.

I also wouldn't have been so harsh on the origins of rotisserie one. It may have not been the best, but I walked away with a little more on the history of fantasy.
Old 10-02-13, 08:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My personal Top 3 are (in random order) are Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. the NY Knicks, The Two Escobars, and Without Bias.

Also loved the SMU, Marcus Dupree and Todd Marinovic installments.
Old 10-02-13, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Yeah, The Band That Wouldn't Die should be higher, the Reggie Miller one too, even if it wasn't as super serious as some of the other entries.
I agree with you on the Reggie Miller doc. I think subjects that tend to be a little deeper, or socially relevant, get more attention, but the Reggie documentary was very compelling and a joy to watch. That, and Fab Five, are my favorites of the ones I've seen.
Old 10-02-13, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did anyone watch the legend of Eddie Aiaku last night? How was it? My DVR crapped out and I didn't record it :\
Old 10-02-13, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 769 Likes on 556 Posts

Moving. Heart breaking. I'm from Hawaii, but I was a townie. I do not have Hawaiian blood, though I have relatives that do. Never really knew his legacy other than his sacrifice for the Hokulea (I was 10 at the time and very interested in ocean research.)

I cried like a baby.
Old 10-30-13, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 934 Likes on 659 Posts

Just watched "This is What They Want," about Jimmy Conners' 1991 tournament run. Damn good.
Old 11-12-14, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty good deal, groupon for 100 films in collector's set for 5th anniversary:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-espn...-30-locker-pre

Basically you get 100 30 for 30 films, comes in a collector locker and a bunch of other cool stuff (Cool poster, 100 film guide book, lanyard, beanie, t-shirt. for 150$.

Not bad, but it is DVD and not blu-ray

on 2nd thought not that great of a deal lol, saw a blu-ray set for first 30 at Amazon for 31 bucks.
Old 11-12-14, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Choosing the best "30" movie is harder than choosing my favorite child (my son). I've loved so many of them.
Old 11-12-14, 02:19 PM

Two Escobars and the 16th Man are the top 2, Little Big Men and Jordan Rides the Bus bottom 2
Old 11-12-14, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 853 Likes on 715 Posts

If people like this series, I highly recommend to hunt down the better episodes of SportsCentury, ESPN's series detailing the greatest athletes of the 20th Century. Frankly, the episode on Secretariat is electrifying and one of the most touching things I've ever seen. They were mostly made for ESPN Classic (remember that?) but they have a more consistent tone than the variable quality found in the 30 for 30 series. I believe many of the same people worked on both projects.
Old 11-12-14, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 243 Likes on 175 Posts

My favorite was Hillsborough. 96 soccer fans died at Hillsborough Stadium at Sheffield, England 1989. The interview with one of the father who had to identify his dead son was pretty bleak. Very sad.
Old 11-12-14, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,776 Likes on 2,705 Posts

The newest 30 for 30 films have been posted to Netflix shortly after they air.

When the Garden was Eden about the 1970's NY Knicks was just posted this week. It's a really good film with the exception of Michael Rapoport being the narrator.