Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Betrayal (ABC) -- Season 1 Thread -- Starring Stuart Townsend, James Cromwell

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-13, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,776 Likes on 2,705 Posts
Betrayal (ABC) -- Season 1 Thread -- Starring Stuart Townsend, James Cromwell

LOVE, SEX, MARRIAGE, AND TREACHERY SPIRAL OUT OF CONTROL IN THE PROVOCATIVE AND GRIPPING NEW DRAMA, "BETRAYAL," PREMIERING SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 29 ON ABC

Two lovers' worlds will collide, culminating in a powerful and compelling story of sex, love, loyalty, marriage and treachery in the provocative, sensual and gripping new drama, "Betrayal," premiering SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 29 (10:01-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

In the premiere episode, "Pilot," a chance meeting between Sara Hanley (Hannah Ware), a professional photographer, and Jack McAllister (Stuart Townsend), a top attorney, leads to an instant and undeniable attraction. Sara's husband, Drew Stafford (Chris Johnson), is a successful prosecutor with political aspirations, and the couple has a seven-year-old, Oliver. Unbeknownst to Sara, Jack is in-house counsel to a powerful but somewhat shady entrepreneur, Thatcher Karsten (James Cromwell), and is married to Thatcher's daughter, Elaine (Wendy Moniz). Sara and Jack both realize something is missing in their marriages, and fight against the realization that they've met their soul mates in one another.

As Sara and Jack struggle with their feelings and their guilt about their families, Thatcher's brother-in-law, Lou, is murdered, and all evidence points to Thatcher's mentally challenged son, T.J. (Henry Thomas). Sara discovers she's in the middle of a nightmare when she learns that Drew will be the prosecuting attorney in this high-profile murder case, which can secure his political future, and that Jack will be the lawyer for the defense. The lovers find themselves in an impossible situation - on opposite sides of a murder investigation.

"Betrayal" stars Hannah Ware ("Shame," "Boss") as Sara Hanley, Henry Thomas ("E.T.," "Gangs of New York") as T.J. Karsten, Chris Johnson ("The Vampire Diaries") as Drew Stafford, Wendy Moniz ("Guiding Light," "The Guardian") as Elaine McAllister, Elizabeth McLaughlin ("The Clique") as Valerie McAllister, Braeden Lemasters ("Men of a Certain Age") as Victor McAllister, with Stuart Townsend ("The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen") as Jack McAllister and James Cromwell ("Babe," "American Horror Story") as Thatcher Karsten.

Guest starring are James Keane as Lou Mrozek, Helena Mattsson as Brandy, Merrin Dungey as Alissa Barnes and Carmen Roman as Constance Mrozek.

"Betrayal," based on the hit Dutch series "Overspel," was written by David Zabel ("ER," "Detroit 1-8-7") and directed by Patty Jenkins ("The Killing," "Monster"), and is executive-produced by Zabel, Lisa Zwerling ("ER," "FlashForward"), Alon Aranya ("Red Widow," "Hostages") and Rob Golenberg ("Red Widow"). It is produced by ABC Studios.

This is getting a 13 episode order only like a cable series. ABC has another serial drama called Resurrection, which will replace it midseason.

This is definitely a soap opera. Don't know how many of you are interested in this, but figured with Sundays being so crowded, it wouldn't be feasible to make this a weekly thing. 1 thread for anyone interested.

Here's the trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5kfgM-DGzWg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-29-13, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Betrayal (ABC) -- Season 1 Thread -- Starring Stuart Townsend, James Cromwell

This is #1 on everyone's "First to be cancelled" list. We shall see. I'll certainly watch it to try it out.
Old 09-29-13, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Betrayal (ABC) -- Season 1 Thread -- Starring Stuart Townsend, James Cromwell

I think the fact that they've started to put the "adult content" warnings on the same ads they've been playing every 5 minutes for the past month pretty much tells you the network doesn't have high hopes for it either. They're clearly hoping folks will tune in for the racy scenes and not the plot IMHO.
Old 09-30-13, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Everything you needed to know about the show was show in the trailer, at least when it comes to the affair. I mean they literally put everything there. That's how thin the premise of the show is. There might be a little more depth to the murder mystery, but the affair is as deep as a thimble.

And I didn't see the chemistry between the two either.

I don't think it'll be the first cancellation (One of the new CBS comedies or Lucky 7 would be my picks), but I doubt it'll make it past 13 episodes.
Old 09-30-13, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They gave no reason why she should even have an affair with the guy. That's just lazy storytelling right there.
Old 09-30-13, 09:35 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
This is #1 on everyone's "First to be cancelled" list. We shall see. I'll certainly watch it to try it out.
Lucky 7, which pulled a 1.3, is likely the first.
Old 09-30-13, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Betrayal debuted with a 1.5 last night, so it and Lucky 7 might be fighting it out for first ABC cancellation of the season.
Old 09-30-13, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 853 Likes on 715 Posts

Hannah Ware was great in her role on Boss.
Old 09-30-13, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually really enjoyed this. I really liked the two leads and I found it to be easy to watch.
Old 10-01-13, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Lucky 7, which pulled a 1.3, is likely the first.
I liked Lucky 7. LOL let ABC let that one hang around a little bit longer.
Old 10-01-13, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
I liked Lucky 7. LOL let ABC let that one hang around a little bit longer.
I liked Lucky 7 too! I guess I like all the doomed shows.