Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Crazy Ones - Series Premiere - "Pilot" - 9/26/13

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-13, 06:56 AM

Received 4,685 Likes on 3,173 Posts
The Crazy Ones - Series Premiere - "Pilot" - 9/26/13

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Qz-8JoUQzE0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Crazy Ones," a single-camera workplace comedy about a larger-than-life advertising genius whose unorthodox methods and unpredictable behavior would get him fired... if he weren't the boss. Simon Roberts is the head of a powerful agency, with the biggest clients and brands in the world, but even more important to him is having his daughter Sydney by his side. As his partner, Sydney is Simon's exact opposite - focused, organized and eager to make a name for herself, but also too busy parenting her father, which she'd resent if he wasn't so brilliant at what he does. Joining them in the firm are the dashing and talented Zach; art director Andrew, who's as hard-working as he is neurotic; and the beautiful and deceptively smart assistant Lauren. With his team and his daughter behind him, Simon continues to set the advertising world on fire, and it looks like they are definitely buying what these crazy ones are selling.
Season 1, Episode 1
Simon tries to persuade Kelly Clarkson to sing a jingle for his firm's biggest client in the series premiere of this comedy about an eccentric advertising exec who works alongside his levelheaded daughter at their ad firm.
I am more excited for more weekly doses of SMG than Williams' return to TV.
Old 09-26-13, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Crazy Ones - Series Premiere - "Pilot" - 9/26/13

Alan Sepinwall said of the pilot "Williams essentially gets to do his greatest hits of the 80s, 90s, & today" which essentially means, if you hate his schtick, you probably won't like the show
Old 09-26-13, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 628 Likes on 504 Posts

This was awful. When the hot minion from Gossip Girl laughs more during the episode than a viewer does, not a good sign. How the hell did this pilot get picked up? DEK needs to stick to legal dramas.

And I hope Kelly Clarkson got paid well for this because she came off as a total beeyotch playing herself.
Old 09-26-13, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That seemed like a long 30 minutes.
Old 09-26-13, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts

Kelly Clarkson stole the show. Shame she won't be back to sustain another ep. next week. This looked like Williams doing his schtick with Sarah Michelle Gellar along for the ride.
Old 09-26-13, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geller seems woefully miscast... and mismatched.

Wolk and Williams had nice chemistry, but there's not much here to tune back in for another episode.
Old 09-26-13, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

CBS skews old but I will assume that this show will really skeeewwww old.
Old 09-26-13, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was really bad. I didn't laugh once, but I also don't care much for Robin Williams. It was supposed to be a comedy, right?
Old 09-27-13, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,723 Likes on 2,675 Posts

I kind of liked it. Didn't think it was that bad. It was short as hell (19 mins with no commercials)

If you don't like Robin Williams schtick of being a rambling motor mouth, then maybe this isn't for you.

Simon is supposed to be a little weird. I thought he had some good chemistry with James Wolk. They played off each other really well. I agree that SMG was kind of out of place.

I'm a fan of Kelly Clarkson and liked her here even though she was kind of bitchy. If was a fun caricature of her.

The little blooper reel at the end was fun.
Old 09-27-13, 07:33 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i also liked it, thought bob benson from mad men was great. gellar is miscast though, which is a shame...

this could be ok
Old 09-27-13, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought it was terrible. The show felt more like an hour long, which is surprising since without commercials it clocked in under 20 minutes.

It made me realize how much more I prefer Robin Williams in either dramatic roles or ones where he plays the villain. Typically I don't abandon shows after one episode but there's really nothing here that's driving me to want to tune in again next week.
Old 09-27-13, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I was hoping this show wasn't going to be Robin Williams doing his usual schtick, or at least reigning it in. Unfortunately that didn't seem to be the case, so I didn't care for it much at all.
Old 09-27-13, 10:39 AM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
i also liked it, thought bob benson from mad men was great. gellar is miscast though, which is a shame...

this could be ok
That's where I knew that guy from! I couldn't place him.

I wonder if McDonald's paid for the product placement (pretty much the entire show) or if that was just a bonus for them. I didn't really like the pilot, but I will probably give it another episode.
Old 09-27-13, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I was hoping this show wasn't going to be Robin Williams doing his usual schtick, or at least reigning it in. Unfortunately that didn't seem to be the case, so I didn't care for it much at all.
Same here. He was acting like the typical parody of himself when he's spoofed in various TV shows.
Originally Posted by Quatermass
I wonder if McDonald's paid for the product placement (pretty much the entire show) or if that was just a bonus for them. I didn't really like the pilot, but I will probably give it another episode.
There's going to be a new company every week, but none of them pay for product placement or require final script approval. My guess is because they'll keep everything very friendly as to avoid lawsuits.
Old 09-27-13, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Granted its after 1 episode (& with the Big Bang Theory as your lead in) but the debut episode did a 4.0 in the 18-49 demo (which is really good) and over 15 million viewers. Next week will be interesting, as there is another show before hand debuting
Old 09-27-13, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,578 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Alan Sepinwall said of the pilot "Williams essentially gets to do his greatest hits of the 80s, 90s, & today" which essentially means, if you hate his schtick, you probably won't like the show
This, exactly.

The overall plot of them coming up with genius advertising ideas (which seem pretty lame to me) to save their client wore thin in just one episode, so I hope it goes somewhere else. I'll tune in again because things can change from a pilot, but I can probably only take one more ep like this one.

Best thing about it was that at least they didn't drag it out to a full hour.
Old 09-27-13, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
The overall plot of them coming up with genius advertising ideas (which seem pretty lame to me) to save their client wore thin in just one episode, so I hope it goes somewhere else. I'll tune in again because things can change from a pilot, but I can probably only take one more ep like this one.
It was a very original concept (if you don't count Bewitched from 50 years ago)

It was good enough for me to check out another episode, but I really like RW when he's doing his shtick.
Old 09-27-13, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 840 Likes on 707 Posts

I grew tired of Robin Williams' antics over twenty years ago, so this wasn't very entertaining to me. I only tuned in to see Gellar's role. Is this supposed to be a pure comedy or a dramedy?
Old 09-27-13, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,578 Posts

I mean I like that Clarkson saw the pivot coming and backed out... but I still have no idea what Gellar's character did to convince her to sing the jingle, besides show that she's willing to make a fool out of herself. So that makes two eye rolling key moments, the first being Robin's character pulling the ad campaign out of thin air.
Old 09-27-13, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the better comedies this year. I liked the cast and writing.
Old 09-27-13, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
I mean I like that Clarkson saw the pivot coming and backed out... but I still have no idea what Gellar's character did to convince her to sing the jingle, besides show that she's willing to make a fool out of herself. So that makes two eye rolling key moments, the first being Robin's character pulling the ad campaign out of thin air.
i would have appreciated it more if he blurted out he was raised in a whorehouse or something. snore.
Old 09-27-13, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by riley_dude
One of the better comedies this year. I liked the cast and writing.
I'm curious how much of Williams' stuff was ad libbing or if David E Kelley is that big a Robin Williams fan.

Judging from the outtake shown at the very end, the show is indeed shot w multiple cameras (unless its just for scenes w Williams so he can improv & the other actors can react & pull stuff out.)
Old 09-29-13, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Not bad, not horrible. I do think that SMG is there just for her name. Give it a few more episodes to see where it goes. Did like the end of credits and the jingle. Also, Clarkson is hot so that was a bonus.
Old 09-29-13, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Given the limited exposure from the first week, I prefer this to Michael J Fox but only as the lesser of bad shows.
Old 09-29-13, 09:31 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 403 Likes on 252 Posts

can't stand Robin Williams' shtick. only watched it out of morbid curiosity. won't be coming back.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.