Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Where To Buy Imports?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Where To Buy Imports?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-08, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where To Buy Imports?

I did do a search and found some pretty good threads, but I would like to get some updated info. I'm thinking about getting a couple of imports and was wondering where you guys get yours from. I would prefer US sites but I'm open to any you suggest.

Has anyone ordered from importcds.com?

Also, please feel free to share your experiences with the sites/shops you use.

Thanks
Old 06-04-08, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've used all the following sites, and had no issues with any of them. Of course it all depends on what you're looking to get as imports, too.

CD Universe
- I not only use this site for imports, but just in general, as well. Usually very good prices and fast shipping.

ImportCDs.com
- I have used them when they have a better price, or can't find what I'm looking for anywhere else.

CD Quest
- I haven't used them in awhile, but they were good when I did.

NEH Records
- Great place to get Melodic Rock stuff at a great price. In fact, when it comes to getting the import versions of new albums or re-issues from some of these bands, I find them to be pretty much unbeatable.

...Non U.S. sites...

CD Japan
- If you want Japanese imports, this is generally the place to go.

CD Wow
- UK site, so the amounts are in British pounds, and you'll have to do the exchange rate math. But the prices are decent, and they offer free worldwide shipping.

A&B Sound
- Canadian store site. Good place to go if you're looking for Canadian releases, (and sometimes UK) stuff that didn't get released in the States. When I got my Thin Lizzy box set, which never came out in the U.S., it was cheaper from them (by a good $20) than I was able to find it anywhere else.

And of course, I also check E-bay and Amazon.com, too.
Sometimes when I'm looking for a Japanese import, there's as seller/storefront called MusicJapan_jp that I've had really good luck (and prices) with. Import CD's have a storefront on Amazon, too, and sometimes their prices are cheaper there than on the actual site.

Two other tips for you. First, just as with shopping for anything, always look around before you buy. Second, I've found that prices on imports tend to fluctuate - so re-check sites often. Something that you want this week might be too expensive, but next week may change to be more exceptable.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 06-04-08 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-04-08, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

amazon.com sellers (not amazon.com directly). seriously. but always avoid seller "caiman" as they've got the worst customer service & stock updates of all time. (they also own tower.com so avoid it)
Old 06-05-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollowgen
seriously. but always avoid seller "caiman" as they've got the worst customer service & stock updates of all time. (they also own tower.com so avoid it)
Interesting. This was the exact seller I was going to come on here to recommend. I've bought 2-3 things from them with nary a problem.
Old 06-05-08, 10:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
although some have had problems with them, Action Records is where I buy most of my UK imports.
Old 06-05-08, 04:22 PM

i've seen a couple people mention action. when you guys are ordering from overseas, how long are you waiting normally?