Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Looking for Info On How CDs Are Made

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-08, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well sort of...I don't know much about how cds are made so I've got a few questions. I'm looking for cds on amazon and sometimes I'll see an album that will have a cd release date that is different from the album release date. I think one I found was Jay Z's Reasonable doubt. The album was released in 96 but the copies that amazon sells were made in 06. Why are there two different dates?
Is one better than the other? How often are cds made? Will it say on the back of a cd case when the cd was actually made?
Also, why will the cds sometimes have different record labels listed?

If anyone has any info I would appreciate it
Old 06-02-08, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 853 Likes on 715 Posts
Artists sometimes change labels and sometimes take their older albums with them if they own the rights to them. Sometimes an album will be reissued in a new edition or new packaging, hence why you'll see an album with two release dates.
Old 06-02-08, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Old 06-05-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Infidel.

civiclx: Your question is more about why the dates are different. It's probably just a different manufacturing process. I don't pay too much attention to those dates anyway. 99% of the time the actual music isn't changing.
Old 06-05-08, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's just a re-issue. Probably Jay-Z wanted to get it under his Roc-a-Fella label so he could get more royalites, so since it has a new catalog number it gets a new release date.

Most re-issues are identical to the previous versions and only obsessive collector types care about differentiating the original and the re-issue.

However this is not the case with vinyl since when a re-issue is done they have to use new plates to press the record which will inevitably sound different than the original.
Old 06-05-08, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey thanks for all of the replies. when ordering cds that have been out for awhile i would prefer to get the original releases so that's why i was curious