Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Parlophone To Release Radiohead Greatest Hits, Band Does Not Approve (Powerless)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Parlophone To Release Radiohead Greatest Hits, Band Does Not Approve (Powerless)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

http://www.soundgenerator.com/viewAr...rticleID=18705

Radiohead hits setlist confirmed
The double album is out this summer

Radiohead will have a hits compilation to their name for the first time this summer, as their former label Parlophone gear up to release a double album of the band's biggest songs.

Despite their fall-out with Parlophone the band were powerless to stop the new album release and recently signed a deal with independent label XL to release their latest set 'In Rainbows'. It is thought the set has been compiled without input from Thom Yorke or any of the other band members.

"Radiohead: The Best Of" spans the group's entire career, excluding the new album, and will feature a total of 29 tracks over two CDs. the running order is as follows:

two CDs, is as follows:

CD1

"Just"
"Paranoid Android"
"Karma Police"
"Creep"
"No Surprises"
"High And Dry"
"My Iron Lung"
"There There"
"Lucky"
"Fake Plastic Trees"
"Idioteque"
"2+2=5"
"The Bends"
"Pyramid Song"
"Street Spirit (Fade Out)"
"Everything In Its Right Place"

CD2:

"Airbag"
"Might Be Wrong"
"Go To Sleep"
"Let Down"
"Planet Telex"
"Exit Music (For A Film)"
"The National Anthem"
"Knives Out"
"Talk Show Host"
"You"
"Anyone Can Play Guitar"
"How To Disappear Completely"
"True Love Waits"

"Radiohead: The Best Of" is released across the UK on June 2.
Old 04-14-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I won't get this. I have all of these tracks already.
Old 04-14-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus
Most fans probably do, but they are good mainstream choices from some of their more "esoteric" albums that fans of Bends and OKC didn't "get".
Old 04-15-08, 07:05 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Same here, but that is a very good overview IMO.
Old 04-15-08, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if that version of "True Love Waits" is the stripped-down one from the live release. I have an older live recording (mid-90s) that completely blows it away, but the sound quality isn't that great.
Old 04-15-08, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
CD1

"Just"
"Paranoid Android"
"Karma Police"
"Creep"
"No Surprises"
"High And Dry"
"My Iron Lung"
"There There"
"Lucky"
"Fake Plastic Trees"
"Idioteque"
"2+2=5"
"The Bends"
"Pyramid Song"
"Street Spirit (Fade Out)"
"Everything In Its Right Place"

CD2:

"Airbag"
"Might Be Wrong"
"Go To Sleep"
"Let Down"
"Planet Telex"
"Exit Music (For A Film)"
"The National Anthem"
"Knives Out"
"Talk Show Host"
"You"
"Anyone Can Play Guitar"
"How To Disappear Completely"
"True Love Waits"
Shame these aren't included:

"Polyethylene (Parts 1 and 2)"
"I Might Be Wrong" (Acoustic on BBC Radio 1 version)
"Thinking About You" (album version)

I'd also add one of the B-sides from the Knives Out singles ("Fog", "Worry Wort" or "Cuttooth").
Old 04-15-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
I wonder if that version of "True Love Waits" is the stripped-down one from the live release. I have an older live recording (mid-90s) that completely blows it away, but the sound quality isn't that great.
That the version with the keyboards?
Old 04-15-08, 08:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
you'd think this release would be truly evil and release a dvd with some video goodies, but thankfully no, they didn't.
Old 04-15-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shame these aren't included:

"Polyethylene (Parts 1 and 2)"
"I Might Be Wrong" (Acoustic on BBC Radio 1 version)
"Thinking About You" (album version)

I'd also add one of the B-sides from the Knives Out singles ("Fog", "Worry Wort" or "Cuttooth").
Or better yet, have them release an EP/b-sides box set. God knows the band has plenty of material for that.

As for this collection, if you tossed off "You" and "Play Guitar" and replaced it with "Thinking About You" (like The Bus said) and "Kid A," you would make a good set fantastic.
Old 04-15-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
I've got a live acoustic version of just Thom doing Motion Picture Soundtrack that is unbelievably amazing.
Old 04-15-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I've got a live acoustic version of just Thom doing Motion Picture Soundtrack that is unbelievably amazing.
Yep, I've got that one too. Great demo!

And yes, the "True Love" waits is with the Atari-like keyboards. Also
Old 04-15-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why even release greatest hits in this day and age of single-song-download availability? It's looney tunes. Unless there's something cool offered with the hits package, like a DVD or free T-shirt or something, it's utterly pointless.
Old 04-15-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Why even release greatest hits in this day and age of single-song-download availability? It's looney tunes. Unless there's something cool offered with the hits package, like a DVD or free T-shirt or something, it's utterly pointless.
Speaking of DVDs, Radiohead is sorely lacking in that department.
What have we gotten so far?

- Meeting People is Easy (barebones disc, but the DTS track is great)
- 7 Television Commercials (crappy VHS port, 30 minutes long)
- Live at the Astoria (another barebones VHS port)

Why no more music video collections or live performances?

EDIT: Just saw the "Best Of" DVD thread. What timing!

Last edited by Randy Miller III; 04-15-08 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-15-08, 02:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
The Japanese market has the best ploy, to release something exclusive (i.e, bonus tracks) to said release - to avoid cheaper parallel importing. Here for this release - nothing.
Old 04-15-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If anything I'm glad they're not throwing on B-sides or some specific cut of a song. I don't want to spend $15 on what amounts to one or two songs. That's why I didn't buy the Nirvana self-titled album / greatest hits.

Greatest hits are for semi-casual fans.
Old 04-15-08, 03:54 PM
Cool New Member

I would be so annoyed if I were Radiohead. Probably more than just annoyed. I wonder if they'll get a cut of the $$ to lessen the blow.
Old 04-16-08, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder why "Stop Whispering" isn't on there.

It was a single, and it's a good song.

I guess it hasn't held up well enough all this time.
Old 04-17-08, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Salo
I would be so annoyed if I were Radiohead. Probably more than just annoyed. I wonder if they'll get a cut of the $$ to lessen the blow.
Actually, I'm quite glad Radiohead wasn't involved with this. Artists are generally the worst people on the planet to judge what is their "best" work is, and knowing how esoteric/abstract the group can be at times, I wouldn't be surprised if their 2-disc compilation included b-sides, album cuts, live tracks and other obscurities mixed in with the hits.

Which: A) fucks over the devoted fans, forcing them to buy stuff they already have in order to get the new or hard-to-obtain tracks, and B) annoys the casual fans who just want a collection of all the songs they've heard on MTV or the radio.

Radiohead can cry foul all they want over this, but like it or not, Parlophone is doing right with this collection. Like others have said, this is meant for the casual fan, that person who owns OK Computer and a caked-with-several-layers-of-dust copy of Kid A.
Old 04-17-08, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There are 29 songs for one price, most likely around $10 or $12. And then you have them on CD, can burn them at your leisure and in the style / compression mode that you want. Then you can sell the disk on ebay for $7 or $8.

You might say "but everybody has all of the songs" - I don't own a single radiohead song. I've heard good things about them though, if this CD is reasonablly priced then sure, I'd pick it up.
Old 04-17-08, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Greatest hits are for semi-casual fans.
I don't agree. I like Greatest Hits to keep in the car or at my office, or in this case, to get the better songs off four albums I barely enjoyed at all.
Old 04-17-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

If only there was a way to make your own CDs or listen to music from various CD altogether in some sort of small music-containing device.

Also: "Stop Whispering"
Old 04-17-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If only there was a way to make your own CDs or listen to music from various CD altogether in some sort of small music-containing device.
Old 04-17-08, 08:36 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
Actually, I'm quite glad Radiohead wasn't involved with this. Artists are generally the worst people on the planet to judge what is their "best" work is, and knowing how esoteric/abstract the group can be at times, I wouldn't be surprised if their 2-disc compilation included b-sides, album cuts, live tracks and other obscurities mixed in with the hits.

Which: A) fucks over the devoted fans, forcing them to buy stuff they already have in order to get the new or hard-to-obtain tracks, and B) annoys the casual fans who just want a collection of all the songs they've heard on MTV or the radio.

Radiohead can cry foul all they want over this, but like it or not, Parlophone is doing right with this collection. Like others have said, this is meant for the casual fan, that person who owns OK Computer and a caked-with-several-layers-of-dust copy of Kid A.
No, I agree. Those are good points. And I've got plenty of greatest hits myself. I was just saying that it's got to be tough to relinquish control over artistic creations against your will, rather than giving a blessing like Pink Floyd did with the Echoes collection.
Old 04-17-08, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GreenVulture

Hey, thanks for saying pretty much everything I was thinking. I'd change maybe two songs, but other than that, it looks like a fairly solid collection.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 04-17-08 at 09:47 PM.