Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Flotsam & Jetsam Doomsday and DVD ?s

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently, for whatever reason, I have been listening to the Flotsam catalogue. I am a big fan of No Place for Disgrace and Cuatro. I also think When the Storm Comes Down and Drift are pretty good, but I have never been a huge fan of Doomsday for the Deceiver. Anyway, here are my two questions:

1) Do all versions of the 20th anniversary edition of Doomsday come with the DVD? Deep Discount only lists this as a 2 disc and everywhere else it is 3.

2) Is the Live in Phoenix 2004 a must have and forget the Japan DVD?

Thanks for all responses.
Old 04-08-08, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts
Amazon has this listed for $18.98 which is the list price shown on DD.

My guess would be that the DVD is included but it prob wouldn't hurt to contact DD. I am not familiar with the concert DVDs.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZkFnmA8F-P8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZkFnmA8F-P8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Flots Til Death!
Old 04-08-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wishbon3
Amazon has this listed for $18.98 which is the list price shown on DD.

My guess would be that the DVD is included but it prob wouldn't hurt to contact DD. I am not familiar with the concert DVDs.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZkFnmA8F-P8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZkFnmA8F-P8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Flots Til Death!
Thanks for the video. I thought about contacting DDD but I was afraid they may raise the price if they realize it is a 3 disc set. I'll probably order it anyway and hope for the best.
Old 04-10-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've never really listened to any of their stuff other than Doomsday for the Deceiver, which I've long had in the collection as a classic 80's thrash disc that's still fun to listen to. How do the others compare?
Old 04-10-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
The music sounds really good. You're going to make me go out and get this!
Old 04-10-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by edclem
I've never really listened to any of their stuff other than Doomsday for the Deceiver, which I've long had in the collection as a classic 80's thrash disc that's still fun to listen to. How do the others compare?
I thought No Place for Disgrace was excellent. It has improved production and a more melodic approach without sacrificing heaviness. I thought When the Storm was pretty good also, but not as polished. I loved Cuatro also which was less complicated than No Place and had catchy songs. I thought Drift was pretty bland but had a similar sound as Cuatro. I have High but haven't listened to it in a really long time. Just listened to Unnatural Selection recently and thought it seemed a bit too modernized and less thrashy. Can't speak on My God or Dreams of Death, but Dreams of Death is being compared to Cuatro, and I plan to get that very soon. Hope this gives you some idea!
Old 04-10-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts
^^^ Pretty much in agreement. I was not too big on Drift initially but it was grown on me and IMO it is a solid album start to finish. If you are looking to expand beyond Doomsday for the Deceiver then No Place For Disgrace is the next album to get.
Old 04-14-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, so I solved the Doomsday mystery. I saw the set at Best Buy for $14.99 and decided to take the plunge even though it was a dollar cheaper at DDD. It looks like a two disc set, but there are two discs in the first case and the DVD is stand alone. As far as the set for $14.99, well worth it. I've listened to the remixed version of the album so far and it sounds better than I remembered. I haven 't listened again to the original, so I can't compare the difference yet. I did however watch the DVD with the Bootleggers performance. A bit rough in spots but the quality was not too shabby overall. Plus it featured a rip roaring guitar solo (which you don't see much of anymore) and they played an early verison of "I Live, You Die" which is a great song from No Place for Disgrace. Actually, there isn't a bad song on that record IMHO. I'd love to see anniversary editions of No Place, When the Storm and Cuatro. There has to be some great late eighties footage in their personal collections.