Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Sheryl Crow joining Fleetwood Mac

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-08, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(03-13) 22:29 PDT Los Angeles (AP) --

Sheryl Crow says she'll soon be singing with Fleetwood Mac, a move sure to give new life to the classic rock band, which hasn't toured in several years.

"I don't want to make any official announcements, but I will say that we definitely have plans for collaborating in the future, and we'll see what happens," Crow told the AOL music Web site Spinner.com in a story posted Thursday.

The 46-year-old singer didn't give a date, but said it could happen next year.

She's already thinking about what she'd like to perform. "I'd love to do `The Chain,' I'd love to do `Second Hand News,'" Crow said.

Crow said she looked forward to working with friend Stevie Nicks.

"I think the person I learned the most hands-on from is Stevie Nicks because she allowed me not only to co-write with her but also to produce her, and she's a true artist," she said.

Crow would give the band and Nicks a boost. According to Spinner.com, Nicks had said she wouldn't continue with Fleetwood Mac without keyboardist Christine McVie, who retired from touring in 1998. McVie joined Fleetwood Mac in 1970 shortly after marrying the band's bass guitarist, John McVie.

Fleetwood Mac last toured in 2004.

Crow is currently touring after the release of her latest album, "Detours."

Phone and e-mail messages left with representatives for Fleetwood Mac and Crow were not immediately returned.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...e211933D52.DTL

There only seems to be one source but it mentions the AOL sessions she was recording when she revealed this info will air April 11th. Certainly could be interesting. Sheryl's last two albums were a huge disappointment and while Nicks' voice isn't what it once was, her songwriting and producing work with Sheryl have always been fantastic.
Old 03-14-08, 05:15 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The important question is will Lindsay Buckingham be involved? He's the real talent in the band.
Old 03-14-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just coming to post the same story. Very interesting.
Old 03-14-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The important question is will Lindsay Buckingham be involved? He's the real talent in the band.
Just coming to ask the same question? If he's there, I'm interested. Can't wait for his live CD 03/25.
Old 03-14-08, 12:17 PM

No word yet on Lindsey's involvement and while he is a talented producer it would be and is a mistake to refer to him as the real talent in the band. Christine and Stevie both had significant hits produced by other people (Sheryl Crow for instance) and have proven themselves to be prolific songwriters if nothing else.
Old 03-14-08, 03:45 PM
Banned by request

Other than one or two songs, I think Christine McVie is awful as a singer and songwriter. Stevie Nicks has had some great songs and big hits, but Buckingham was the real driving force behind the band during the height of its popularity, and his tracks on their last album were significantly better than Stevie's.
Old 03-14-08, 04:08 PM

Driving force and responsible in large part for their sound I could agree with, I just objected to the statement that he was the "real talent." Stevie and Christine have talent.

Anywho, back on topic - I hope this doesn't also mean that they'll be performing Sheryl Crow songs in concert. Aside from Stand Back and Go Insane the solo careers have always remained independent.
Old 03-14-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've always liked the early stuff a lot more than any of the stuff with Nicks or Christie McVie.
Old 03-14-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 214 Posts
Other than one or two songs, I think Christine McVie is awful as a singer and songwriter. Stevie Nicks has had some great songs and big hits, but Buckingham was the real driving force behind the band during the height of its popularity, and his tracks on their last album were significantly better than Stevie's.
Blasphemy! McVie in her prime had great voice. Very sunny and pure. I've seen FM several times live, and she was the only one who sounded great. In the early days, Lindsey screamed a lot, didn't sing. Stevie's voice wasn't as great as it was in the studio. I have to admit, I never liked them live. But they improved with age and all sounded great on "The Dance". Sure, McVie's solo album was crap. And Stevie's were hit and miss. Save for the last one in 2001. That was her best effort yet IMO. All of Lindsey's albums were above average. But Lindsey's driving force almost killed the Mac with "Tusk". So many fans hated that album. To go from selling 17 million albums with "Rumours" to 3 million on "Tusk" was considered a huge flop. Personally, I think "Tusk" would have been a masterpiece had it been cut in half and made into a single album. Lindsey's production and style were just too bizarre on several of the tracks. And too radically different than "Rumours". Artistic? Sure. But commercially not a wise follow up to their landmark album. About Sheryl joining the fold, bring it. Not since Cindy Wilson and Kate Pierson have I heard two female voices that wrap around each others so flawlessly. Just listen to Crow and Nicks on Stevie's last album, "Sorcerer".
Old 03-15-08, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I cannot wait. Stevie and Sheryl harmonize great together, and add Lindsay to the mix, it'll be amazing
Old 03-15-08, 05:59 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Blasphemy! McVie in her prime had great voice. Very sunny and pure. I've seen FM several times live, and she was the only one who sounded great. In the early days, Lindsey screamed a lot, didn't sing. Stevie's voice wasn't as great as it was in the studio. I have to admit, I never liked them live. But they improved with age and all sounded great on "The Dance". Sure, McVie's solo album was crap. And Stevie's were hit and miss. Save for the last one in 2001. That was her best effort yet IMO. All of Lindsey's albums were above average. But Lindsey's driving force almost killed the Mac with "Tusk". So many fans hated that album. To go from selling 17 million albums with "Rumours" to 3 million on "Tusk" was considered a huge flop. Personally, I think "Tusk" would have been a masterpiece had it been cut in half and made into a single album. Lindsey's production and style were just too bizarre on several of the tracks. And too radically different than "Rumours". Artistic? Sure. But commercially not a wise follow up to their landmark album. About Sheryl joining the fold, bring it. Not since Cindy Wilson and Kate Pierson have I heard two female voices that wrap around each others so flawlessly. Just listen to Crow and Nicks on Stevie's last album, "Sorcerer".
Now who's being blasphemous? Tusk is easily the most interesting album the group ever made. Who cares if it was considered a flop? It was the perfect yin to Rumors' yang. Out of all the Fleetwood Mac recordings, I listen to Tusk the most, and half the time I just skip right to Buckingham's songs.
Old 03-15-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now who's being blasphemous? Tusk is easily the most interesting album the group ever made. Who cares if it was considered a flop? It was the perfect yin to Rumors' yang. Out of all the Fleetwood Mac recordings, I listen to Tusk the most, and half the time I just skip right to Buckingham's songs.
Who cares? Well, their fans for a start. Then Warner Brothers. Hey, I like "Tusk" too. But quite frankly, I'll take "Mirage" over it any day.
Old 03-15-08, 05:03 PM
Banned by request

So their fans care how much an album sells versus the quality of the music? That's a strange comment.
Old 03-15-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So their fans care how much an album sells versus the quality of the music? That's a strange comment.
Let me rephrase. A lot of the fans did not like the quality of the album. I worked at Waxie Maxies (which was a record store chain in the D.C. area) when the album came out, and not only did it not sell, the comments I got were mostly negative. I was a massive FM fan. And I played the album all the time in the store.
Old 03-16-08, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As a Fleetwood Mac album, Tusk is a failure. Most of it sounds like a Lindsey Buckingham solo project.
Old 03-16-08, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually often program Tusk to play only the Buckingham tunes. Those are some of my favorite moments in all of the Fleetwood Mac catalogue. His production, wit and command of melody is top notch and I'm not really interested in Crow joining if Lindsey happened to be out.
Old 03-16-08, 03:03 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Gerry P.
As a Fleetwood Mac album, Tusk is a failure. Most of it sounds like a Lindsey Buckingham solo project.
If only the rest of their career was filled with such failures.
Old 03-16-08, 03:14 PM
Premium Member

Received 735 Likes on 483 Posts
This is really sounding good, except for the part with Sheryl Crow.
Old 03-16-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If only the rest of their career was filled with such failures.
It's not a terrible album, but it certainly was a disappointment following Rumours. IMO, they made 6 or 7 better albums before that one.
Old 03-16-08, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am surprised people still hate Tusk. Granted, I suppose the week of it's release, people who were hungry for Rumours II were furious, but I'd say 29 years is more than plenty enough time to let the album grow on you. Tusk is a fantastic album and it more than holds it's own
Old 03-16-08, 10:54 PM
Premium Member

Received 735 Likes on 483 Posts
Originally Posted by nothingfails
I am surprised people still hate Tusk. Granted, I suppose the week of it's release, people who were hungry for Rumours II were furious, but I'd say 29 years is more than plenty enough time to let the album grow on you. Tusk is a fantastic album and it more than holds it's own
I don't think it's hate. It's a good album, just not as good as previous, IMO (and I think what other's are going with).

I really like the older stuff, more than Rumours. Stevie Nicks can really be annoying.

But still, i'd welcome something new!

Just not with the girl that says things aren't bad if they make me happy.

Last edited by The Cow; 03-16-08 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-17-08, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,429 Likes on 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by The Cow
But still, i'd welcome something new!

Just not with the girl that says things aren't bad if they make me happy.
Hey, all she wants to do is have some fun.

As far as Tusk goes, it's not a favorite of mine. I think it's over long and with too much filler. Still it's probably the most Lindsey-centric of the classic albums, so that's cool at least.
Old 03-17-08, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nothingfails
Let's not forget the first single off "Tusk" was, "Tusk". And when that was released to radio, nearly a month before the album came out, people were like "What the fuck!??". Including the dj's. People called in the stations saying how much they hated it. And most, expecting the entire album to sound that way, avoided the album. Honestly, I think it's a horrible song. Definitely the worst FM song ever. But I bought the album anyway. FWIW, DC101 (here in D.C.) played the album in it's entirety the week it came out because people were so against the song "Tusk". I'm wondering if Warner had stations across the country do that for damage control. I stand by my original statement though that the album would have been stronger and a bigger seller had they released it as a single album.
Old 03-17-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And "Tusk" is my favorite FM song ever. But I'm a big Lindsey Buckingham fan, saw him on tour last year. The man is a genius.
Old 03-17-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts
I like Tusk also. The song and the album. My favorite tune on that album, though, it That's All For Everyone.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.