Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Nine Inch Nails: Ghosts I-IV

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-08, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nine Inch Nails has self-released a new instrumental album, Ghosts I-IV. Consisting of 36 instrumental tracks described as "music for daydreams" and released under Creative Commons, it is available in a wide range of formats: MP3, double CD, a package with: the 2xCD, multitracks on DVD, and a deluxe book, and finally the super-deluxe limited edition which includes all that as well as a copy of the album on vinyl.
The free MP3 download includes the first volume - nine tracks (each with unique artwork), wallpapers, and a PDF of the 40 page book. Available directly off nin.com, you also have the option to torrent it via official NIN profiles on Waffles, what.cd and The Pirate Bay. Absent from this release was any kind of leak of audio or information.

http://ghosts.nin.com/
Old 03-02-08, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Argh! I'm trying to order the 2 disc set but the site it hammered!!!!!
Old 03-02-08, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll also be ordering the 2disc set. I'll probably wait until tomorrow, when the site is not so hammered.
Old 03-02-08, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Still trying! I'm up to the payment method stage.
Old 03-02-08, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for anyone wanting the $5 version right now - amazon has it and their server seems to be holding up.
256k mp3's

if you just want to check out the free version, TPB is the way to go right now.
official torrent
Old 03-02-08, 11:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Picked it up from amazon an hour ago, love it.

You can also get the set from http://www.ainr.com/
Old 03-03-08, 12:13 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The Artists in Residence site is charging $15 for shipping plus CA tax. Is the NIN site charging that? I can't make it through to the payment page.

Edit: To answer my own question, both sites charge for shipping, but the NIN site doesn't charge CA tax.

Last edited by Supermallet; 03-03-08 at 01:00 AM.
Old 03-03-08, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
This report back in Jan. showed that Trent was a little let down that not enough folks paid for the album oppose to those who just downloaded it for free.

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9847788-7.html

I hope the lack of purchases crushes his soul and we get to hear it in his future work.
Old 03-03-08, 05:33 AM
Banned by request

I have a feeling a collection of new NIN material will sell better than any record by Saul Williams. Of course, it also helps that he didn't put up the whole thing for free download this time.

Edit: Actually, reading the interview all the way through, it appears the release of Ghosts is done exactly the way Reznor said he would do it if he could go back and change things. So clearly he's not giving up on the whole experiment yet.

Meanwhile, the music itself is really fantastic. Between this and Year Zero, Reznor is doing some of the best music of his career.

Last edited by Supermallet; 03-03-08 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-03-08, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Suprmallet

Meanwhile, the music itself is really fantastic. Between this and Year Zero, Reznor is doing some of the best music of his career.
QFT... Finally got it and popped in on my iPod. Listening to it through high end Sennheisers. It's fantastic so far.
Old 03-03-08, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought the $10 one off of nin.com and my "one-time download link" crapped out after about 4 megs. Where did you guys grab the mp3s from? I'm sure Amazon's servers aren't as hammered, but I don't want to spend another $5 just to get it early, especially with the $7 shipping for the CDs.
Old 03-03-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shagrath
I bought the $10 one off of nin.com and my "one-time download link" crapped out after about 4 megs. Where did you guys grab the mp3s from? I'm sure Amazon's servers aren't as hammered, but I don't want to spend another $5 just to get it early, especially with the $7 shipping for the CDs.
I had the same exact experience. I sent an email to support using the link on the download page and I'm waiting for a response. One-time links are a terrible idea when the servers are getting hammered.
Old 03-03-08, 09:54 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,221 Likes on 865 Posts
I paid for the $300 version (what can I say... I'm still a crazy NIN fan at heart...), and my FLAC download crapped out. I also emailed support expressing my displeasure. I was kinda hoping I'd be able to listen to the album at work today, over and over... now I can't. Unless I want to shell out another $5 right now...

one-time downloads are dumb.

edit: also frustrating is that my "receipt" doesn't specifically mention that I ordered the Limited Edition. With my luck, they'll ship the Deluxe...
Old 03-03-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My FLAC download was also interrupted so I had to resort to "alternate" means. (Hey, NIN already got my $5.) I also e-mailed support. Hopefully they can provide me with a new link once things cool down.
Old 03-03-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden
My FLAC download was also interrupted so I had to resort to "alternate" means. (Hey, NIN already got my $5.) I also e-mailed support. Hopefully they can provide me with a new link once things cool down.
My first FLAC download got cutoff at about 82% around 1:00 AM Central time. I restarted, and the download rate looked better. I went to bed, got up this morning and it had completed successfully. I got it decoded to WAV but didn't get a chance to burn it for the car yet - looking forward to it.

I paid the $10 so I get real CD's when they come out. Trent will absolutely get my money if he keeps doing stuff direct like this.

FYI - I was able to re-click the one-time download link and it still worked. I hadn't closed the webpage yet that I got from the link in the email. Maybe they have a way of detecting if your download was successful or not.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 03-03-08 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-03-08, 01:30 PM
Banned

Is this gonna be available at amazon and places like that? I would love to get this and NIN is still one of my top 10 artists but I dont listen to music online and I am not going to buy off their website.
Old 03-03-08, 01:35 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

It will be in your usual retail stores on April 8th.
Old 03-03-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For those of us who had download problems, Trent has posted this on nin.com:

"Update: The response to this album has been overwhelming, causing our website to slow to a crawl. We THOUGHT we were ready, but...
We've been adding more servers to accommodate the unexpected demand and we expect to be running smoothly in the next few hours. In the meantime, if you've had any problems with downloads from the Ghosts site, don't worry - you'll be able to use your download link again when the site is more stable. Thanks everyone for making this such an immediate success."
Old 03-03-08, 03:29 PM
Banned by request

My initial download crapped out after about 10 minutes. I had closed the window, so I clicked again on the link in the email, took me back to the webpage (it skipped the format selection page), and let me download it again. Worked like a charm the second time.
Old 03-03-08, 04:07 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

My official download still isn't working at all (getting the "Exceeded Download Limit" message). I did manage to download it "somewhere else", but in lower-quality MP3. I want my FLAC... (or if I can choose again, I'll go with Apple Lossless, since I discovered TODAY that my old 20gb iPod plays those...)
Old 03-03-08, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I ♥ Trent.

Cool things like this is one reason why, so i'm in for the Deluxe, dammit.

And i've had the same problems downloading the FLAC version. I did download the Pirate Bay version, but i'll try my FLAC link later on..
Old 03-03-08, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts
Starting to feel lucky I got my FLAC successfully.
Old 03-03-08, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just ordered the $5 version. Wasn't sure I would, but listening to the sample I got drawn in. I was a huge fan between 1989-1995. Guess I kind of drifted out of that type of music.

Still love the Saul Williams / Reznor album you guys turned me onto. I actually heard it playing in The Apple Store the other day.

Oh and if I had a nice system I think I'd have to have that blu-ray of this . . .
Old 03-03-08, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 227 Likes on 183 Posts
I bought the $10 version, but gave up on the FLAC download. I'll try again in a few days, once there's an update on server capabilities.
Old 03-03-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah I just had to send an email telling them mine didnt work.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.