Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Justice League: The New Frontier

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-07, 07:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Justice League: The New Frontier

Tvshowsondvd.com is reporting that WB is going to release Justice League: The New Frontier on February 26th, 2008. The bad news: stunt casting all over the place, including of commiting the sin of replacing Kevin Conroy's voice as Batman for Jeremy Sisto. More info on the release here:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Jus...ease-Date/8343

My only question is why? Why do they have to recreate everything and change the voices that made the 90's Batman cartoon and all its spinoff popular? Superman/Doomsday just plain sucked as well as the atrocious Superman: When Brainiac Attacks. Don't they learn from the mistakes? If it ain't broken, don't fix it. Damn!!!
Old 10-29-07, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dx23
My only question is why? Why do they have to recreate everything and change the voices that made the 90's Batman cartoon and all its spinoff popular?
Because this project isn't an extension of the DCAU and rather is an adaptation of the DC: The New Frontier comic miniseries that was an ode to the Silver Age. True, many of same creative staff (i.e. Bruce Timm) are working on JLA: The New Frontier, but this is a stand-alone project unconnected with previous series.

A short preview vid of JLA: The New Frontier

badger
Old 10-29-07, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
There's no continuity between this film at the DCAU, so having the same actors wouldn't make sense. Also, when I saw Timm at Comic Con, he mentioned that people were less than enthused by Sisto's casting, but said "Trust me, when you hear him you will lose your shit."
Old 10-29-07, 08:21 PM
Banned

Well Timm also put a lot of faith to the Superman/Doomsday film and look how mediocre it turned out.
Old 10-29-07, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, but that was also based on a really mediocre story. The New Frontier is actually a good comic.
Old 10-29-07, 08:53 PM
Banned

I don't think the Superman/Doomsday story was mediocre. Actually I thought it was pretty good, except for the Return of Superman thing. The problem is that WB is trying to fit long storylines in 1:30 movies. The great thing about the DC animated series was their ability to tell comic book stories without rushing them. You can develop character and story in a series much better than in a movie, especially if its spoonfed f in an hour and a half.
Old 10-29-07, 10:49 PM

ohhh....

I don't think the Superman/Doomsday story was mediocre. Actually I thought it was pretty good, except for the Return of Superman thing. The problem is that WB is trying to fit long storylines in 1:30 movies. The great thing about the DC animated series was their ability to tell comic book stories without rushing them. You can develop character and story in a series much better than in a movie, especially if its spoonfed f in an hour and a half.
CO-SIGNING THAT!!
Old 10-29-07, 10:56 PM

same here. watched it .it was too rushed. i perfer the death of superman to be one dvd. and the return of superman on another. and the death of superman was a good comic.ill get jla new frontier when it come out to.
Old 10-29-07, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Meh. The voices aren't going to be the same anymore, and I think people should get over it, especially by now.

I thought Superman Doomsday was decent, and i'm looking forward to this.
Old 10-30-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 432 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
Meh. The voices aren't going to be the same anymore, and I think people should get over it, especially by now.
Yup, that ship sailed at the end of the last episode of JLU.

Hopefully Teen Titans Judas Contract is next
Old 11-22-07, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
From TVShowsonDVD.com:

The New Frontier: 2-Disc Special Edition Arrives Feb. 26th With 3 Other Versions

Posted by David Lambert
11/21/2007

Late last month we broke the news that Justice League: The New Frontier had been set by Warner Brothers to have a February 26th release date on DVD, HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc. At the time we told you that the price on the DVD would be $19.98 SRP, and that the hi-def release prices had not been finalized yet, nor the box art.

Overnight we received the below graphic from an industry source, surprising us with picture proof that there will be 2 different DVD versions of this release! There will indeed be a single-disc version of The New Frontier, costing $19.98 SRP. But there is also a Justice League: The New Frontier: 2-Disc Special Edition release coming out the same day, for $24.98 SRP. Both include the 75-minute original feature, obviously. There's no word yet on what we'll find on the second disc of the 2-DVD version, though.

It's impossible to tell from this graphic (which was all the info we received) if the hi-def releases will contain all the same material as the two-disc standard DVD version. We hope so, though; anything else would be a slap in the face to fans. With the Thanksgiving holiday tomorrow, we're not expecting Warner to make an official announcement on this until after the holiday, meaning next week. Stay tuned, and we'll keep you updated.
Old 11-27-07, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
This was just posted over at Newsarama:

WARNER BROS. HOME VIDEO RELEASES FULL NEW FRONTIER DETAILS, IMAGES

Press Release
Warner Premiere, DC Comics and Warner Bros. Animation are set to release the all-new original movie Justice League: The New Frontier on February 26, 2008 on DVD, HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc, distributed by Warner Home Video. Order due date is January 22, 2008. The original movie will also be available OnDemand and Pay-per-View as well as available for download on February 26, 2008.

Based on the graphic novel by Darwyn Cooke and produced by Michael Goguen and animation legend, Bruce Timm, Justice League: The New Frontier is the epic tale of the founding of the Justice League. The animated film, written by Stan Berkowitz, features an incredible celebrity-laden voice cast including David Boreanaz, Brooke Shields, Lucy Lawless, Neil Patrick Harris, Miguel Ferrer, Kyra Sedgwick, Jeremy Sisto and Kyle MacLachlan and will be available on DVD for $19.98 SRP. There will also be a 2 disc Special Edition DVD available for $24.98 SRP which contains additional bonus features including a documentary about the pathology of the super villain and three bonus episodes from the Justice League animated series selected by Bruce Timm. All the content from the 2-disc Special Edition DVD will be available on HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc.

The New Frontier takes viewers on an action-packed adventure, exploring the origins of the Justice League. DC Comics legends Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are all featured in the film as well as Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter and The Flash ¬ as they band together to form the legendary super team. Strangers at first, these very different heroes must overcome fear and suspicion to forge an alliance against a monster so formidable, even the mighty Superman cannot stop it alone. If they fail, the entire planet will be “cleansed” of humanity.

Justice League: The New Frontier DVD will feature incredible extras including:

“Super Heroes United!: The Complete Justice League History”- The documentary is a comprehensive forty seven year Justice League chronology from the inception in the comics to vivid animated renditions. The story is told with a myriad of interviews tracing back the early days of DC Super Hero team ups during the Golden Age, to the Silver Age rendition where the established heroes emerged and beyond. Interviews include Paul Levitz (President of DC Comics), Dan Didio (SVP Executive Editor at DC Comics), Michael Uslan (Historian), Gregory Noveck (SVP Creative Affairs DC Comics), Mark Waid (DC Comics Historian and Writer), Mike Friedrich (Writer JLU), Denny O’Neil (Writer and Editor at DC Comics), Mike Carlin (DC Comics Executive Editor), Stan Lee (Marvel Comics Co-Creator) and Marv Wolfman (Writer of Fantastic Four).

“Sneak Peak: Batman: Gotham Knight” - One part anime, one part Caped Crusader, the result is a glimpse at the world of Eastern anime sensibilities combined with a Western tradition of Batman. A detailed look at the world of Warner Bros Animation, and how they joined forces with the renowned Japanese animators to create the highly anticipated anime film of 2008.

“Audio Commentary I” (featuring the talented filmmakers of New Frontier)

“Audio Commentary II” (featuring Comic Book Writer and Artist Darwyn Cooke)

• Widescreen (1.78:1)

• 5.1 Dolby Digital

The 2 disc Special Edition DVD will feature even more incredible extras
including:

“The Legion of Doom: The Pathology of the Super Villain”- This documentary will examine the early mythological archetypes of nemesis characters from a historical perspective, and see how the tenants of this rich history were adapted and woven into the Justice League stories. The bonus feature includes many of the talent included in Super Heroes United! As well as Jim Kreuger (Writer of “Justice”).

“Comic Book Commentary: Homage to the New Frontier” - This documentary is a nod to the fans of the New Frontier comic book. This featurette further expands the themes contained in the source material, and how these elements were truncated or evolved for the inclusion in the film. Featuring vivid imagery culled from the pages of the New Frontier comic, mixed with the commentary of Writer and Artist Darwyn Cooke, this featurette is a treat for both fans and scholars of the medium.

“Justice League Unlimited Bonus Episodes” - Bruce Timm selects three of his favorite episodes from the Justice League Unlimited animated series:

1. Dark Heart ¬ Alien invaders attempt to thwart the Justice League. The fate of the world rests on the shoulders of Ray Palmer, AKA The Atom.

2. To Another Shore - Wonder Woman learns of a plot to steal the powers of the 3,000 year-old corpse of The Viking Prince. It is up to the Justice League to make things right.

3. Task Force X - Four incarcerated villains are released from prison by Cadmus to undertake an impossible mission: steal a powerful mystic artifact from the JLU Watchtower under the noses of the League.

"Having the opportunity to take the unique work of such a legendary comic talent as Darwyn Cooke and create a small screen faithful adaptation of that style is one of the cornerstones in what we hope to develop for core and new fans alike as part of the DC Universe initiative on the Warner Premiere slate", said Matt Bierman, Vice President Production, Warner Premiere.

“Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier is justifiably considered a modern classic, and we at DC comics are excited to share this thrilling adaptation with the book's legions of loyal fans. On Feb. 26, DC Universe Animated Movies will lead everyone across the New Frontier,” said Gregory Novek, Senior Vice President of Creative Affairs, DC Comics.

“Following the huge success of Superman Doomsday, we are delighted to be releasing the second DC Universe PG-13 animated movie,” said Amit Desai, WHV Vice President, Family, Animation and Sports Marketing. “Justice League: The New Frontier will certainly not disappoint fans who have been eagerly awaiting this next action-packed DC Universe installment.”

Justice League: New Frontier Marketing Support

Justice League: New Frontier will be supported by a massive media campaign including primetime TV spots, national print and online coverage. Marketing support will also include strong promotion support, a dedicated website (www.jlnewfrontier.com ), as well as explosive online promotion stunts. Finally, cross-trailering on targeted DVD releases will generate millions of impressions.
Old 11-28-07, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know if this is up for pre-order anywhere yet?
Old 11-28-07, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks Valeyard, think ill pass on the 2 disc since the Justice League history doc is on the single disc version. The other two docs and bonus episodes dont seem worth it.
Old 12-05-07, 10:23 AM

They have both up for pre-order on Amazon now. The odd thing is that the 2-disc set is a $1.00 cheaper than the single disc. LOL!

James
Old 02-04-08, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts
I watched the two-disc version this weekend, and sadly, it's a from me.

I'm one of the few who loved, absolutely loved SUPERMAN: DOOMSDAY, but THE NEW FRONTIER is a disjointed - and honestly, often dull - affair. I didn't read the mini-series upon which it is based, so perhaps fanboys of the books will have a more positive reaction to it, but it just didn't work for me.

That said, Batman is BY FAR the best-done of the superheroes in the movie, although his role isn't a whole lot more than a cameo. The primary focus is on Hal Jordan/Green Lantern (it's essentially his origin story), while both Martian Manhunter and The Flash get a good amount of screen time.

Like the DOOMSDAY release, however, DC has done a nice job with the bonus material, including a 40+ minute documentary on the history of the Justice League and (assuming you get the 2-disc set) a 30+ minute documentary on The Legion of Doom. Three (as yet unreleased on DVD) episodes of "Justice League Unlimited" are on the second disc, as well as a 10-minute preview of "Batman: Gotham Knight" on the first disc.

By the way, the "red scare" and McCarthyism prejudice against the heroes that was (supposedly - again, I never read the books) part of Cooke's series is all but a footnote in the animated movie. I think they missed the boat by not focusing on that and making it the driving point of the storytelling. There's a speech toward the end of the film about the military and the heroes putting aside their differences to fight together - but the movie's made such little issue of it up to that point, that the "big speech" seems silly and melodramatic. Heck, it's almost laughable.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 02-04-08 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-04-08, 06:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
. Three (as yet unreleased on DVD) episodes of "Justice League Unlimited" are on the second disc,

All episodes of Justice League and JL Unlimited have already been released on DVD. JL has 2 seasons and JLU has another 2. The Dark Heart and Task Force X are part of JLU Season 1 and To Another Shore is part of Season 2.
Old 02-04-08, 11:32 PM

I watched it last month. While it's definitely a truncated version of the comic (just as Superman: Doomsday was but a whisper of the comics) it is far better than Superman: Doomsday.
Old 02-05-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts
All episodes of Justice League and JL Unlimited have already been released on DVD. JL has 2 seasons and JLU has another 2. The Dark Heart and Task Force X are part of JLU Season 1 and To Another Shore is part of Season 2.
My bad.
Old 02-05-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got the New Frontier Absolute Edition for Christmas and I'm a little nervous about rereading it right now, for fear it will diminish the movie.
Old 02-05-08, 03:49 PM

Oh read it. It's a great story and amazing art. If you're a fan of the pre-crisis DC universe, it's excellent.
Old 02-05-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've already read it in the two smaller volumes. I'm just nervous about rereading such a great work right before seeing a movie that I know will cut out a bunch.
Old 02-06-08, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 994 Likes on 694 Posts
Superman/Doomsday just plain sucked as well as the atrocious Superman: When Brainiac Attacks. Don't they learn from the mistakes? If it ain't broken, don't fix it. Damn!!!

I just recently watched when brainiac attacks and let me say that turd really has to be near the top of a very long list of horrible Superman media. Really really really bad. It's really weird how they are similar style to the cartoon but they aren't animated the same, don't sound the same and don't even act the same. Like they were all possessed.

Haven't watched Superman/Doomsday yet (I'm a real cheapo now when it comes to buying single movies) but there is no way it is as bad as brainiac attacks. Although the arguement could be made to watch it just to see how bad Luthor is.
Old 02-24-08, 10:44 AM

Anyone know anything about the Wal-Mart exclusive for Justice League New Frontiers coming out this week? I know BB has a free figure, CC has a Green Lantern patch, and Target has some "digital download" (not sure what that means). I don't get a Wal-Mart ad, and can't find the ad on their homepage, but the product description for this doesn't give any details about the exclusive. If it's lame, then I'll get the BB one.

Here's the link to wal-mart's listing: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...06023332983474

But what's their "bonus item"?
Old 02-24-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by E-Z-B
Anyone know anything about the Wal-Mart exclusive for Justice League New Frontiers coming out this week? I know BB has a free figure, CC has a Green Lantern patch, and Target has some "digital download" (not sure what that means). I don't get a Wal-Mart ad, and can't find the ad on their homepage, but the product description for this doesn't give any details about the exclusive. If it's lame, then I'll get the BB one.

Here's the link to wal-mart's listing: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...06023332983474

But what's their "bonus item"?
THe "digital download" from Target is a digital version of the film. Someone over at Toonzone said the Wal-Mart exclusive might be a copy of the comic book "The New Frontier" #1 on CD-ROM.

Last edited by DGibFen; 02-24-08 at 11:48 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.